Nite Cutter flashlights?

junior

Enlightened
What's the deal on the nite cutter flashlights?

How do they stack up to Invo X series.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
These guys are out of Worcester MA, about an hour away from me. Really nice folks interested in making quality tools....

The two lights they are currently offering are very similar in output to the Inova X5. They run 5mm nichias I believe, in a 3 or 5 LED configuration. The larger lights have a twist on tailcap while the smaller compact Sport light has a twist on head. The larger Professional model is close to the Inova in size and has the same kind of 5 LED head but also has a small anti-roll bezel.

My favorite is the Sport model. It is the smallest 2xCR123 light out there and has a sweet form factor. There are two models, 3 LED and 5 LED, and to my eye the output appears to be about the same as the Inova. The 3 LED has a longer runtime though.....I keep meaning to send mine to Roy for a runtime test so we can get an accurate chart.

Nightcutter has announced a 1 watt Luxeon light with multiple replaceable optics and I emailed them recently about it. I'm told it is close to release so this is going to be exciting. Even better, another light is in the works....a little monster! All I can tell you right now is they have been reading the forums and are paying attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter

How much are you selling the 1 watt Luxeon light for? Any pictures? Warranty? I checked the site but I don't see it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Sport, also. It is tiny, even for a 2x123 design. Great fit and finish, particularly in it's price range. I have two bodies and four heads -- I like the 5-GREEN head best. This is a great light.

<RANT>
It would be perfect for many serious tasks if only it didn't have one of those insanely popular wrist lanyards that are held to the light with something akin to dental floss. No using paracord or a spare shoelace with NightCutters like you can with an INOVA. No matter how well made the NightCutters are, for serious tasks where a real lanyard is required you'd be better off with the INOVAs.

It's really a shame that so many otherwise very good lights share this unforgivable sin. I know that they want to make their lights smaller but the owner won't appreciate the tiny size difference of the light when it's at the bottom of a river or 400 feet down at the bottom of a ravine. It is ironic that many of the new lights are designed so carefully -- until they get to the lanyard.

I buy some of these lights with poorly thought out lanyards because that issue is no longer a deal killer for me because of my health. When I was more of an adventurer I would have passed up all of the 'dental floss' lights in a heartbeat.
</RANT>

EDIT: Added obligitory lanyard disclaimer.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Phaser, I'm not sure they want the details of the "monster" known yet. I'll check and get back to you. From the specs though it is going to be outrageous.

Leb, I'm not the company, just one of their product testers. Not sure about the cost but I think it will be reasonable.

I'm with you Sub. I think they ought to have a bigger lanyard hole too. It would take only a little more metal to make it happen so the size difference woudl be negligible.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Peter Atwood said:
...I'm with you Sub. I think they ought to have a bigger lanyard hole too. It would take only a little more metal to make it happen so the size difference woudl be negligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would even be happy if they offered an optional 'lanyard attachment clip' at an added cost. Physically it would operate like the old 'quick detachable sling swivel' for rifles. It would be narrower at the business end than the pic below, and of course, would have no need for a ring the size of that one. The pin that goes through the hole in the light could be just a tad smaller, and shorter, too.
qd_swivel.jpg

That would be a great compromise. We'd have the small size, and yet the guys that need a real lanyard could have one. Unfortunatly, the lanyard hole on the NightCutters is even too small for that, IMO. If you had an appropriatly sized 'QD sling' type lanyard clip, all of the makers who now insist on equipping their lights with the 'dental floss' lanyard could use the same sized hole and you could just move your lanyard from light, depending on what you wanted to carry that day.

The really sad part is that for all the care and planning that went into these fine lights (MANY more besides the NightCutters) their makers have excluded some of the very people that they wanted to impress the most. There will never be a glowing review of any of these lights by someone who took it to the top of Everest or any other of a thousand places that tend to impress buyers -- because the lanyard is not up to the job.

I think that NightCutter is top flight in EVERY other regard.

I've begun to comment on this here and on other threads because light makers read these posts along with consumers and nothing will ever change if no one complains. I've also started writing to light manufacturers telling them that no matter how fantastic their lights are, they are unfit for ANY serious tasks with the dental floss lanyard.

I don't intend to hijack the thread or pick on NightCutter. I thought about starting a 'dental floss lanyard' thread but I think that there is a better chance of the light makers hearing the case this way because I know that some of them do CPF searches for their own brand names. I don't own that many lights but if any of you have other FINE lights with this kind of lanyard I would ask you to bring it up on the appropriate threads where the makers may read them. These non-lanyards only seem to be getting more and more popular.

Thanks for reading.

junior

Enlightened
What's interesting on the lights that have dental floss lanyard holes is that they each carry there own type of lanyards for an additional cost. 2-5 bucks. Heck, even some surefires do not come with any lanyard type of attachement, but you can buy there lanyard kit for extra $$$$$$. Even mag-lights (mini-mags) have an additional lanyard kit they sell for extra $$$$$$

(no pun intended on manufactors)

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Really, all that is required is an additional 1/16"-1/8" in length and there would be plenty of meat for a larger hole. No big deal and it would offer the opportunity for some more cool machining patterns on the end.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a problem with the small lanyard holes. That's what small split rings are for. Snap one in there and tie a nice para cord lanyard through the split ring--no problema.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
I don't have a problem with the small lanyard holes. That's what small split rings are for. Snap one in there and tie a nice para cord lanyard through the split ring--no problema.

[/ QUOTE ]

Split rings are fine for holding your keys to your ARC-AAA.

Split rings can't compare to the strength of a proper lanyard hole, in any way. Compare the strength and security of the lanyard hole of most INOVAs to the strength and security of a split ring. No matter how you look at it, the integrity of a split ring is all centered around one thickness of a relatively small diameter piece of wire. I would never bet my life on a split ring of any size, no matter what it was made of.

indenial

Enlightened
I agree with Soto. Until the manufacturers take heed, a split ring works fine. And they do sell very heavy duty split rings that can carry more weight than the type more commonly found on a keychain, etc.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
indenial said:
I agree with Soto. Until the manufacturers take heed, a split ring works fine. And they do sell very heavy duty split rings that can carry more weight than the type more commonly found on a keychain, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis mine.

You must be thinking of a different light. There is no way that a "very heavy duty" split ring will fit through the tiny hole of this light. Even the stock split ring that comes with the ARC-AA, will only just barely fit at the single wire portion of the ring on the NightCutter Sport. It will not accept the full double wire thickness of this small split ring.

We are not discussing a small hole of the size that comes on an ARC-AAA or ARC-AA. Very heavy duty split rings are not an option with the NightCutter Sport because the designers of this otherwise great light opted for an insanely small hole.

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
Even if there was, you'd be stripping off the protective covering (anodization/paint/butter/etc.) and exposing it to the elements.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone heard of spectra ?
it comes in thicknesses from dental floss size and 2mm up to about paracord size - and it is insanely strong - the ultra thin stuff you can get at an archery shop (used for bowstrings) and the 2mm and up you can get at a boat shop

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the problem with the ultra thin materials is twofold:

The first problem is not that they are not strong enough; it's that they are so thin that one may be too dammaged to still be serviceable before the user ever notices that there is even any problem with it.

The second problem revolves around how to fix it out in the boonies if you are lucky enough to still have your light to fix at this point. There is something really creepy about having to fix a broken/weakened lanyard on a 'high tech' flashlight with a paperclip because that's the only thing that you have that will fit into the hole. No quick patch with a spare shoelace or a piece of paracord will do for these popular lanyards. In fact, if you don't have the paperclip when you need it, you'll have to resort to the very ungainly 'clove hitch and two half hitches' to replace the lanyard -- which is also pretty ugly on a 'high tech' light, IMO.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, given that the hole at the tail end of my Nightcutter Chartlight is small, God-willin' I ain't gonna be hanging from no cliffs by my split ring. Actually, what I want is some good split-ring pliers so I don't gouge up my lights when I put my split rings on. I saw a thread about this awhile back, but does anybody have a specific recommendation for some good smallish size split-ring pliers??

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a little pair of Pakistani jewelers pliers with a 90 degree bend at the tip that work well for things like that. The tips are flat and taper almost to nothing. I got them for $3 at a tourista flea market where there is always a guy with a cart selling cool TINY tools.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, the NC lights work extremely well with the Pila 168S Li-Ion cells. The only problem is, (and it's a big one!), most of the Pila 168S cells vary some in their dimensions and some will be too tight to fit. Luckily I have 4 of them and one went right in while the other 3 would not. You know I love Pila Li-Ion cells but their build quality should be better! I've had two where the outer wrapping has started to come off. Anyway, the NC using the 168S lasts and lasts! Just remember cells have to go in with the positive side DOWN in the NC's. Don't worry, if you put them in the NORMAL way, (positive UP), it won't hurt anything.