Mag2D LuxV nFlex mod (8 brightness levels).

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
XXXCopperMag2DnFlexWX1Sfinished.jpg

This is a Mag2D LuxV nFlex mod with 8 brightness levels. Maximum brightness level reconfigured for 1000mA.
Copper Mag2D, LuxV WX1S emitter, blue glow ring, O-Sink, nFlex converter, UCL lens, smooth reflector, using 8AA NiMH batteries.

XXXnFlexepoxiedinMagbodyA.jpg
XXXSwitch-nFlexmoduleE.jpg
XXXSwitch-nFlexmoduleD.jpg

This is similar to my Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod except for the WX1S LuxV emitter.
To get a decent runtime at the maximum brightness level 8AA NiMH batteries are needed.

Since some components of the nFlex board get hot when running at full brightness a copper heatsink was made and epoxied to the nFlex board. To pass the heat from the sink to the flashlight body I made a thermal path using two strips of copper braid soldered to the sink and epoxied to the Maglite body.

After a test run of one hour at full brightness on my bench supply I did a runtime test using 8AA 2300mAh Memorex NiMH batteries. The nFlex ran 2 hours 11 minutes continuously at full brightness (1000 mA). Since this is a stock Mag2D these batteries will not fit. However using 8AA GP1800 batteries runtime will still be 1 hour 40 minutes at full brightness!

Lux reading at 1m using a Meterman LM631 at different brightness levels (input voltage = 9.0V):
Smooth reflector (level 1-8): 180 Lux, 490 Lux, 1.070 Lux, 1.810 Lux, 2.640 Lux, 3.630 Lux, 4.850 Lux, 6.200 Lux.

Beam shots Mag2D LuxIII nFlex compared to Mag2D LuxV nFlex at 3m and different levels.

LuxIIIL2y.jpg
LuxVL2y.jpg

Mag2D LuxIII/LuxV nFlex Level 2

LuxIIIL4y.jpg
LuxVL4y.jpg

Mag2D LuxIII/LuxV nFlex Level 4

LuxIIIL6y.jpg
LuxVL6y.jpg

Mag2D LuxIII/LuxV nFlex Level 6

LuxIIIL8y.jpg
LuxVL8y.jpg

Mag2D LuxIII/LuxV nFlex Level 8

Thanks for looking.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

zzublogan

Newly Enlightened
cool mod, how much did this cost? also, can the nflex regulate the amp to 1000 always even though the battery is half used and so on?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif at Icarus - again flying close to the sun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
zzublogan
Regarding runtime... like mentioned in my initial post. This Maglite ran for 2 hours 11 minutes in regulation at 1A without interruption.
I'll pm you later regarding cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Klaus
Yes yes… because life will be boring without taking risks from time to time… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
aww man
cool is an understatement. That is realll nice!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
/me wish he has one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

i love the idea of the breaded copper wire to transfer the heat but wonder if it is really effective?

L

LITEmania

Great !!!
Can you invest a little time to post the beamshot sooner or later for us CPF'rs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
thats pretty cool

[/ QUOTE ]

COOL... I think it's rather HOT... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
... i love the idea of the breaded copper wire to transfer the heat but wonder if it is really effective?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the switch/nFlex module was build in, the nFlex ran at my bench supply with pliers locked at the copper braid.
After one hour at full brightness the copper sink only felt warm. So, I think it will be sufficient in this case.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Paypal is standing ready, how much do you want for it?!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously though, do you think a project like this is within reach for an average modder? I've got one last C-sink and this looks like the perfect application.

Jon

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
icarus, that sounds like the breaded copper actually works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif nice!

i am thinking of dissecting my current 5W mod in favor of yours type of mod!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
step by step modding instruction would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
Seriously though, do you think a project like this is within reach for an average modder? I've got one last C-sink and this looks like the perfect application.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm… but what's the definition of an average modder? It's certainly not the easiest Mag mod you can imagine but if it's not your first mod and you take your time then it must be possible. Of course it helps if you know how to work with a soldering iron and if you have some basic knowledge of electronics.

However… it seems you want use a Mag2C? I think it will be a challenge to put the nFlex in a Mag2C but the real problem is there isn't any suitable battery configuration for an nFlex LuxV mod that fits a Mag2C. You need at least 4 CR123, 4 Pila's or 8 NiMH batteries. Three CR123 in series (9V) will work but the nFlex will only run in regulation for a very short time (at 1000mA).

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
icarus, I have done a fair amount of soldering (I've put together a few PR and PR-T heads, a McModule and built 4 or 5 "sandwiches" for mini-mags.

I'd use a 2 or 3 "D" Mag, not a "C" Mag. I think "C Sink" isn't the right term ("O-sink" maybe?). I'm going to go and read up on the nFlex driver.

Jon

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay John, go ahead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I can assure you this is a great light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Always prepared to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
icarus,
Great job! I like the additional heatsinking! Oh, BTW you won't believe this, but I just finished a nFlex 5W mod in a 2D mag, same color! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Just kidding!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Nice work! I think you'll like my next nFlex project, but it isn't so much a torch as it is a VERY flexible task light. Keep up the great work!

lmcmann

Newly Enlightened
Oddly enough, I'm going to mod a 2d mag tonight in almost exactly the same way. Same led, nFlex, etc. I've made a custom 8aa holder for mine as well. It's funny seing this today. I like the copper braid to cool the nFlex. Which parts get hot on it? I don't (hadn't planned on) drive mine at 1A, mostly I intend to be at 500ma, with bumps to 700 if I need it. I'd also planned on putting a switch into the bottom cap for the re-programming feature. How badly does driving the led at 1A shorten it's life? Nice job, btw. Great idea on the nFlex heatsinking. I'm glad I got to see these pics before I started assembling mine.

Thanks, Larry

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
icarus,
Where can I get one of those '3rd hand' vices and anti-static mats that you show in your pix. Thanks

Dave

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaGunn
My '3rd hand' vise is a Panavise . I bought mine here but they are also offered at ebay.
The mat in my pictures is in fact a mat that can be used to cut paper. I don't think it is anti-static.
It bought it at a local paper shop (but hard to find and quite expensive).