Peak 1AAA 3LED...sorely dissappointed...NOT

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Peak Matterhorn Hi-Power 3LED today. What a dissappointment! I was looking for something similar in size to my Arc AAA but brighter.

The Peak's hotspot is similar in brightness to the Arc, but the coverage area has only 1/3 to 1/2 the diameter. That means total light output is substantially less than the Arc (half the diameter = one quarter the coverage area). I made a feeble attempt to measure the current on each light and it looks like the Peak is only drawing half the mA of the Arc, despite having 3 LEDs. I might understand this if it was one of Peak's standard output lights , but it's not acceptable from their hi-power collection.

So the Peak 3LED hi-power gives me less output and is 1/2" longer. Talk about a step BACKWARDS. Guess I'll be taking advantage of their 30 day satisfaction guarantee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Peak 1AAA 3LED...sorely dissappointed

Thanks for the tip. I've been agonizing over which Peak to go for, the AAA or the AA. Looks like the scale is leaning more towards the 5LED AA now. I kind of thought the general view was the AAA is brighter than the Arc. Maybe you got a bum one.

cy

Flashaholic

It's hard to beat a Arc AAA-P for a backup light.

If you want bright in a small package, consider the TNC N-cell. To my untrained eye, aprox. 3-4x brighter than Arc AAA. A joy to carry and use, but still doesn't replace Arc AAA.

*Retired*

Consider the possibility they got it mixed up with a normal output light...

With all their variety, I could easily see how that might happen.

fluorescent

Enlightened

their high output lights have a mark on the bottom of the head...

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup. It has an H stamped on the bottom of the head.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

contact them and ask for a different one
it should be brighter than a arc aaa

Peter Atwood

Enlightened

Mine is brighter than an Arc AAA. It has more throw but less flood so if it's the lack of spill that you are unhappy about then it's not the light for you.

Al

Enlightened

If you're looking for a lot of sidespill and near-white color output, then Peak may not be for you. Since this post(copied from a different thread)--

""It just looks like it belongs on a mantelpiece with a brass naval compass and a sextant. Very classy."

BUT because of the almost 1mm recessing of the LEDs, the beam is very narrow (not enough sidespill for my taste). They are bright enough, but without sidespill I find myself stumbling around because of losing nightvision. For walking around at night I find CMG Ultra, ARC 1AAA, or 1AA more preferable ... ordered a 1LED head for the Peak 1AAA."

--I've had my Peaks ubgraded to "Ultra" for increased brightness. Color is still quite bluish, brightness is adequate, will be using Nimh's for flat output.

IMHO their choice of LED manufacturer (blue tint light) and too much recessing into the head has resulted in your dissappointment. BUT, the BRASS :)

Re: Peak 1AAA 3LED

I have several HIgh Power Peak Matterhorn 1x123 brass lights, some 3 LED, some 7. While they're far from the brightest of the bunch, their solid brass bodies are AWESOME! Love the weight and feel of them. Of course they don't compare in output to the Arc 4+, Firefly II, Blackbird (nothing compares to the Blackbird), or other small one cell lights, but they make up for it in aesthetics IMHO. Perfect light for tip-toeing around the house so as not to wake the family.

DallasA

Enlightened

Hello RonM:

I am sorry to here the light dose not meet your satisfaction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif. When comparing the Peak LED 3 LED AAA to an ARC AAA there are a few things that need to be taken in to factor. Flood vs. Throw, size, life of the LED, applications for the light, ect.

So here is my personal evaluation of both the units sense I own both.

Peak LED Solutions 3 LED AAA Hi-Power vs. ARC AAA
1. The ARC AAA is a Flood covering a wider area with sorter distances of visibility.
2. The Peak LED 3 LED AAA Hi-Power has a narrow beam that gives more of a distance visibility.
3. The Peak LED AAA " LED's" are regulated and will have a longer life.
4. The " hot spot " of the Peak LED 3 LED AAA Hi-Power is brighter.
5. Size of the ARC AAA is ½ in shorter then the Peak LED 3 LED AAA.
6. The Peak LED 3 LED AAA is designed will easy removable lanyard to use in a candle mode plus easy use will hands free tools.
7. Both units are available in a Type III HA
8. The Peak LED AAA units have more of a smoother feel. ( Note: Personal opinion )

When comparing size on a personal note. I use a Peak LED 3 LED N mini Hi-Power. This fits about 90% of all the application I use it for and is slightly over a ½ inch shorter.

On a assumption, I think what you are looking for is a smaller package then the ARC AAA , in a Flood mode, that is brighter then the ARC AAA. May I make a couple suggestions that may or may not work for you?

Return the unit to us at:

29834 N Cave Creek Rd. 118-249
Cave Creek, AZ 85310

No RMA is required: Please Reference your order number so we may assure proper refund.

Here are a couple ideas:

1. If the Battery type is not an issue and you would like to have a smaller version flood option, that is brighter and you do not mind the LED's being overdriven. May I suggest going with a N mini 1 LED Ultra.

2. Check back with us when we make the release of the Luxeon 1w.
3. If looking for something brighter right now in a smaller size package with a flood mode. I would also suggest the TNC N-cell

Thank you for your post and I look forward to the potential possibility of you returning to finding something that meets all your needs.

Have a Great Weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

MJ

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

DallasA, thanks for taking time to respond. I agree and understand most of your points, except those which relate to brightness. My meter measured the hotspot of the Arc and Peak to be nearly the same. So the Peak and Arc should have similar throw, but the Peak is providing much less light in total, since it only emits a spot. Spot would have been OK provided it was substantially brighter.

Maybe there is something wrong with the unit I received.

Anyway, really looking forward to the upcoming Luxeon 1W. Not really interterested in the N mini as I prefer to limit the number of battery types I have to keep around.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened

I ground off some of the tip of my brass AAA today. I left about 1/16" of meat before the LEDs are exposed. I still have great throw but now there is alot more sidespill. Still doesn't give you the fat beam of the Arc AAA because of the lack of a conical hole but it's an improvement. If I were redesigning the Peak AAA I would give it a larger head and make three conical LED ports. If those LEDs were all luxeons that would be even better.....OK, how about just one luxeon but make the port conical? I really do think Arc is onto something there.

DallasA

Enlightened

Hi RonM,

Not a problem. If you like we can send you out a replacement head at no charge, if you still have a problem send them both back in for the refund.

What ever way you like to go just let me know. You can email me direct at [email protected] and I will get it taken care of personally which ever way you choose.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifMJ

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

DallasA:

My personal thanks for your top-notch contribution to CPF, and to this thread. Your lights are terrific, and I for one think you shouldn't change a thing about your beamwidth (I like narrower very much). Specifically, I'm thinking now of my 1-123 cell 7 LED standard brass light. I was wandering around the back lot of 20th Century Fox studios late Friday night after a screening of "Meet the Fokkers" and even in West LA I could see that beautiful little beam piercing up into the night sky. Well done indeed and I'm looking forward to purchasing many more of your lights (hopefully also the Luxeon 1W).

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

mj

I'm looking forward to seeing the Luxeon 1w, sorry if I missed the post but as the kids say in the car HOW MUCH LONGER?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks DallasA. I'll be in touch. Appreciate the great customer service!

paulr

Flashaholic

Yes, please! Brass 1AA light, Luxeon underdriven to about 150 mA, FLOOD BEAM, pretty please. There are also 5mm led's available with very nice white color so I don't understand why they're not used more. My UKE 2AAA eLED has a smooth white color with maybe a slight yellowish cast, which is much more pleasant than the angry blue/violet that I'm used to from Nichia leds.

cliff

Newly Enlightened

Well, I just got a Peak Matterhorn AAA 3-LED high-power with red LEDs and I can't recommend it highly enough. I have two other red LED "keychain" lights (CMG Infinity & ARC AAA - now discontinued). The CMG is too dim to be of much use. The ARC is much better and I use it to light up the interior of my car.

The Peak is outstanding however. It will light up things (albeit in red) across the street and I have no problem finding my way around inside at night due to lack of sidespill. Possibly the red color prevents night blindness that would probably occur with a white light, since the hotspot is extremely intense.

I find the length, size and weight of this light very comfortable. One thing that is interesting is the head gets a little warm if left on for any length of time, and this does not occur with the CMG or ARC. This figures though, because it puts out significantly more light.

Also, Peak is a pleasure to do business with. Rapid email response, tracking of shipment and very fast shipping. This Matterhorn makes me curious over what their other lights will do, so I will probably end up with a collection of them.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope that Peak considers turquoise, I may be wrong but I would think that because it's the brightest LED color that the demand would be higher then red. My little arc turquoise is fantastic when it comes to camping. Maybe when MJ worked at Arc they moved more reds then turquoise.