My season of stolen and lost flashlight woes

MY

Enlightened
I think that the flashlight gods are trying to tell me something. In the last four months, I have had a dozen Infinity Ultras and an ARC4 stolen, accidently left my beloved firefly in a hostel, my wife accendently left my XM2 in a campground bathroom, and my kids lost a Yukon HL on the green river in Utah.

Some may remember that I asked for suggestions on lights to give to park rangers on a research trip to the Patagonia region in Chile and Argentina in May. Well I finally settled on giving Infinity Ultras. As fate would have it, in a hotel room in Valdivia, Chile, someone stole my box of lights which contained the Ultras and my ARC4 (plus NiMh batteries) and some cash. Luckily, I still had my EDC firefly on me. The ARC was really a great light complete with Cy's tailswitch mod. I promised the rangers that I would bring replacement lights on my next trip next April.

A month later in June, I was traveling in Europe and using my firefly on low qute a bit for reading at night. At a London hostel, I left the light hanging by my bed. At the airport, I finally realized that the familiar lump in my pocket was not there but it was too late and someone had already taken it when I called the hostel. Well I did have a backup light but it was my new McLux X4T which was basically unusable inside in close quarters. This was a heart breaker since the firefly was a workhorse with a two stage dimmer, R2H sandwich, and custom reflector. It served me well.

In July my family did a rafting trip through the Desolation Canyon on the Green River in Utah. One of my kids wanted to use my brand spanking new Yukon HL so I traded it for his Everready 2 led headlamp. Well sometime during the night, he put it down somewhere never to be found again. My impression of the Yukon, albeit short, was that it was a great headlamp although I wished it had a lower setting.

The end of July and beginning of August had us camping in Michigan. At Sleeping Bear Dunes, my wife took my XM2 to the bathroom. While in the bathroom, my wife's sister came in with her maglight. They got to talking and soon they both left together under the illumination of the maglight. The XM2 was never seen again.........

I am sorry that I might have put some of you into tears about my misfortunes - I know that I shed a few tears each time one of my prized lights past on to other unknown hands.

Since I use my lights as tools, I accept the fact that one or two will eventually get lost. I am now in great relief that I have paid my dues and the flashlight gremlin is now off my back.

Wish me luck in finding replacements, especially a CR2 size light.

Regards

MY

Enlightened
Good thought but unfortunately, I cannot chain up my wife and kids to their lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
MY
You have my sympathy,been a rough year for you lightwise.Hope things are brighter in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
That's why I have 2 classes of lights. Lights for me, and lights for everybody else. Not that the ones for everybody else are crap, they're just not my favorites /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do share your grief, it has happened to me.
Now I have only one Class of flashlight and
that stays with me, I also have a couple of
the cheap disposable one shot flashlights on hand
and they are the ones I lend out.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your losses there. I'm sure things will start looking up for you.

I lost two lights in one weekend a couple of months back while camping... my first enthusiast light, a LEDxtreme Predator, and a generic incan headlamp light.

The way I lost them? All I said was "Sure you can borrow it. Just be sure to bring it back!"

I also lent a waterbottle and a can opener that weekend and wouldn't you know it, they were never returned.

This happened with different people each time except for the headlamp light and the waterbottle but wow, people are so careless with other people's property that it totally boggles my mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At least I learned something from this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch.. that is indeed a painful tale of loss. To lose one is just a matter of time and probability, but so many? I think I'd go nuts if I lost so many lights. I haven't yet, but Murphy is working full time on my case and I think it's only going to be a matter of time before he catches up.

I guess the only upside is that you now have a chance to replace them with even better and brighter lights with newer technology (though I think yours were pretty cutting edge anyway).

Other than that, you have my sympathies - take care and may your lanyards hold fast when most needed.

juancho

Enlightened
My, You have my sympathies, I was always curious to know how the Ranger's flashlight adventure had ended and with what light.
You remember that we corresponded a bit and joked about mate and tango?

I think your choice of infinity for the Rangers was the proper one.
I am sorry that you get the lights stolen in Argentina.

best regards

Juan C.

MY

Enlightened
Hi Juanco. The lights for the rangers were stolen in Chile, not Argentina.

Even though so many of my lights went AWOL, really only the firefly can be attributed to my lack of judgement.

When you are a flashlight nut and have a family of flashlight users, you can't help but let everyone use the "good stuff." I accept the fact that kids will loose stuff and I am happy that they enjoy flashlights. Flashlights are replacable - kids are not!

Regards

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sincere sympathy to you MY. Good grief, unbelievable. Think of it this way: you've kept Murphy so busy that he took less from some of us. Thanks for paying your dues so I didn't have to.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
My,

That really sucks. Especially as only one is really 'your' fault.

I hate it when people steal your stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The only light I've ever lost that meant anything to me was my alien resurection special edition minimag. Ok, so it was a mag, but it was an irreplaceable(?) special edition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

MY

Enlightened
KevinL. Yes, one has to look at the bright side of things and see that it will be fun replacing all those lights with the latest and greatest. Come to think of it, those lights were the latest and greatest.

If anyone out there would like to assist me in my procurement, I am looking for a small CR2 EDC light.

Regards.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats the answer; I have keepers and loaners with me. Peeople usually feel good when they get a minimag as a loane. MY sureFire L6 STAYS on my wrist. X990's and TSP's rarely see othrt hands- just a description, My Lights are treared like Rolex watches, not shared to often.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened
My
you're not alone in wanting to procure a small CR2 EDC light,is he Larry? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MY

Enlightened
Mrd 74. I am not sure that I can be trusted with one of Larry's CR2 treasures but I would certainly give it a go.

Regards.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
It makes me wonder why I used to shudder at lending out my minimag and cry when there was a new dent just after getting it back.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
That's pretty crazy. According to the law of Karma, you should soon be receiving a box filled with a dozen assorted Arcs and Surefires from an anonymous source.;) I know what you mean though, I lose sunglasses the same way you lose flashlights.:(

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy lottery tickets? Who knows.... strike it big and you'll have more lights than you can shake.. a light.. at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MY

Enlightened
lightmeup. I think that I might be waiting for that box for a good long time.

KL. I already have more lights than I can shake a stick at . . . . Unfortunately though, I don't have any good EDCs left in my collection.