How many leds can you fit in a Flashlight.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many diferent types of Led flashlight,
some have one led, some have two or more,
I have even heard of one having sixty leds
IE: Trek6000 EX60 - 60 LED. So the question is
why so many Leds when you can achieve similar
results using a single Luxeon.

pyro

Enlightened
well, the 5mm LEDs have a even beam with nice
sidespill, i prefer that sometimes.
and luxeons were simply not available when the "older"
lights were designed

jtr1962

Flashaholic
60 cheap HK LEDs cost around $15 shipped on eBay. Light output is about 60 to 80 lumens driven at 20mA, maybe 80 to 100 lumens at 30 mA (this is still in spec according to most data sheets I've seen).

1 Luxeon III costs more when you include the needed optics, probably puts out less light depending upon bin (I'm not a big fan of overdriving). They also don't seem to be readily available. 1W Luxeons, which can be had in decent bins for about $10 each, only put out 25 to 35 lumens, and still need optics. 25 HK LEDs costing $6 will do the same. Very often you don't need the output of a Luxeon. 5 or 10 5mm LEDs will do.

Lifetime? Even 1000 hours is plenty for a flashlight, so the 50,000 hour life of Luxeons is irrelevant here.

It all depends what you want. Luxeons do ease driving requirements, and are more efficient than most cheap 5mm LEDs. However, this comes at a cost. I'd personally like to see L3's going for $2 or $3 each in small quantities but I don't think that will happen for a while.