USA mens baketball disgrace losing to Puerto Rico

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
the title of this thread says it all, they forgot to bring players that could actually shoot the ball, what an embarrassment. Puerto Rico 92 - USA 73
Puerto Rico is not even supposed to threaten to medal.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I herd on the news that some of our best players wouldn't go represent the USA because of the threat of terrorist and that they may get injured while playing.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man usa looks awefull so far.only 1 gold medal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Puerto Rico played well. Carlos was superb. I guess however, that they really were playing against an undercut USA team. USA isn't out of the gold right?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
they lost Italy and almost lost to Germany and Turkey who wern't good enough to get into the Olympics. Now they get killed by Puerto Rico, there seems to be something deep inside of me that says these over confident clowns who know how to do everything but make shots aren't nearly as good as they think they are. Poor Larry Brown and that's all I have to say on that. Interesting statistic, the best 3 point shooter that the US team selected was actually 53rd in the league in 3 point shot accuracy.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
The problem is that we don't have a "TEAM" representing the U.S. in basketball.When the U.S. takes the court,there are 5 really good players,but they play against TEAMS!It shows you that a TEAM will beat a bunch of individuals more often than not.I am a coach.I've seen it a million times.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
we have no shooters (altho Iverson is shooting better than usual). we have noone who i consider to be a pure point guard. and Larry Brown doesn't play the best line ups he could be playing. we shouldn't have had any rookies on the team. and i mean, OMEKA is on the team. he hasn't played a single NBA game.

Edit:
we also lack in the defense department. i think we should've added someone like Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Trenton Hassell who can play defense in all shapes and forms.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
The problem is that we don't have a "TEAM" representing the U.S. in basketball.When the U.S. takes the court,there are 5 really good players,but they play against TEAMS!It shows you that a TEAM will beat a bunch of individuals more often than not.I am a coach.I've seen it a million times.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this sums it up very nicely.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USA mens baketball disgrace losing to Puerto R

I got to second that!
I don't play a lot but I know relying on individual talent is catastrophic against those who know what teamwork can do.
This isn't good for our image either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Re: USA mens baketball disgrace losing to Puerto R

I don't find this a disgrace.Not as far as basketball is concerned.I can only HOPE that some young people watched and saw a group of "no names" beat a bunch of millionaires because they were "selfless" and thought only about the team and not their stats.It's a shame that in the U.S. we will put millions of dollars in the hands of a KID who's only been shaving for about 3 or 4 years all in the name of sports.All it teaches kids is score as many points as you can in high school and look out for #1.No,it's not a disgrace we got beat.The disgrace is HOW we got beat.We got beat because they played exactly how they've always played,looking out for #1.And coaches,parents,and schools /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif along the way encouraged it.Now,THAT'S the disgrace!

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I herd on the news that some of our best players wouldn't go represent the USA because of the threat of terrorist and that they may get injured while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, it's the Olympics, darnit, the security is going to be tighter there than anywhere else in the world the next 2 weeks! And also, like they don't get injured at their home courts?

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:
Come on, it's the Olympics, darnit, the security is going to be tighter there than anywhere else in the world the next 2 weeks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Olympics are terrorists dream... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Overall security is as good as the weakest part of it IMHO... I'd say if you can smuggle pretty much anything in a van a blimp won't help much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

(sorry for the topic drift... back to basketball again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Isn't Puerto Rico part of the US??? Just trying to give love to the territories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Puerto Rico is part of the USA. It's kinda funny when you think of it. A United States territory playing against the United States. That would be like the Falkland Islands playing against the United Kingdom. Go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif