Sleep Number Bed-- Good or Hyped???

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone has experience with one of these. The marketing sounds good, but I have my doubts. I have not been happy with a relatively expensive Simmons Beautyrest and a "The Original Mattress Factory" bed and looking for something new. I tried them out in the store and they seemed nice, but actually sleeping on one is a different thing. One thing I noticed is that I wanted to make it softer when laying on my side vs. on my back, but you obviously don't want to change the setting throughout the night.

I would really appreciate any input from anyone who has slept on one. Thanks.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The girl I am seeing right now has one, I am totally unimpressed with it. On the soft setting it feels almost like a hammock. I am the type of guy that likes firm beds though. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
They had these mattresses on TV infomercials, so they're probably not all they're cracked up to be. But I've never seen one or used one, so I don't know this for certain.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have owned one for about 2 1/2 years. I am most pleased with it. I have been married for 26 years and we have been through a few mattresses. IMHO this is the best so far.
You are not going to figure out if you are going to like it in the store. It will take a few nights to get the right setting for YOU. I have found that I sleep much harder (deeper) since getting this. I have a Queen size, dual chamber, pillow top, wireless remote 5000 series with foundation. It is much lighter than a standard mattress set. Heck, the whole mattress and foundation weigh less than a standard mattress.
I was a little hesitant to get it (like you), but I am glad I did.

Kinda funny that this particular subject would show up. Believe it or not, just this past week, I had a (minor)problem with the foundation. I called them up to find out what I should do about it. They sent me a NEW foundation, no charge. Not exactly what I was looking for, but hey I'll take it.

You really dont have anything to lose, they have a 30 night money back guarantee.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol any thing will be better then my masstress the springs are broke n poke me .im lookijng for a good used one

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the original Select Comfort for several years, and it is very, very good, although I don't think it lives up to the hype. It's better than springs, especially since I can adjust it.

But a number of cheap imitators have hit the market, and I suspect they are not nearly as good.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I had a select comfort and woke up on the box spring.I hated it! It is VERY cheaply made,but it isn't cheap.I then bought a Tempurpedic.The best $ ever spent.So far I've had 2 other family members buy them and they also love them.Don't get a knock off.You'll never be comfortable on another bed again!Wife had back problems before .Not anymore!

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I've had a California King Select Comfort now for about 10 years. Because it's basically an air mattress on steroids there are some inherent problems with the setup. I've had a leak in one of the mattresses and also a bad seal on the air pump chamber which caused one of the sides to deflate. In both cases the customer service has been outstanding and the problems were taken care of quickly and without a hassle. I'm not sure if I would purchase another one when this one goes out. Right now I've got the best of both world's with a tempurpedic egg crate pad replacing the one that originally came with the Select Comfort. Like Coachbigdog I would probably opt for the Tempurpedic the next time around. Pleasant dreams!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Can anyone give me a price range for these options? I am used to paying $500-$800 for a standard mattress and box springs in queen Size. I am guessing a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed (not the highest or lowest model, but something in the middle) would be close but a little higher, maybe $800-$1000?? And if I am not mistaken, the Tempurpedic is a big jump up to something like $2000? Is this right?

Also, one of our biggest complaints with our current bed is how when either one of us moves, the entire bed sort of jiggles or sways side to side for a few seconds and this can wake the other person. I think this is related to how a standard box spring foundation lacks lateral stiffness. Based on my examination of the Select Comfort and how the foundation is solid, the Select Comfort seemed very stable in this regard. If it is stable and also gives good sleeping comfort, I think it would be a winner for us. Of course, now I am curious about the Tempurpedic, too.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Can anyone give me a price range for these options? I am used to paying $500-$800 for a standard mattress and box springs in queen Size. I am guessing a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed (not the highest or lowest model, but something in the middle) would be close but a little higher, maybe $800-$1000?? And if I am not mistaken, the Tempurpedic is a big jump up to something like $2000? Is this right?

Also, one of our biggest complaints with our current bed is how when either one of us moves, the entire bed sort of jiggles or sways side to side for a few seconds and this can wake the other person. I think this is related to how a standard box spring foundation lacks lateral stiffness. Based on my examination of the Select Comfort and how the foundation is solid, the Select Comfort seemed very stable in this regard. If it is stable and also gives good sleeping comfort, I think it would be a winner for us. Of course, now I am curious about the Tempurpedic, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense,but you get what you pay for.Having said that the tempurpedic and the one you are looking at are about the same price.Plus Tempurpedic has upped there guarantee to 4 months.If you wave the right to send it back they will knock something like 100-150 dollars off the price.The problem with select comfort style mattresses is if you hold you significant other at night.With the select style this present a big problem if you both like a different setting.When I'd hold my wife,I could feel I was in the middle of 2 mattresses.You don't have this problem with the Temp. mattress.Also when one person moves,the other doesn't feel it.If the box spring you have is in good condition,you won't need a new one,just the mattress.They might tell you they work better togther,but that's just sales hype.We have a 7-8 year old box spring and it works just fine.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
roflmao i had no idea a matress is so much. i get mine used. lol for a while ai had one that was 10 bucks ya had to blow up.that one was awefull.