Luxeon sighting - Orlando International Airport

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
While waiting for our return flight from our honeymoon, my wife and I were wandering around the Orlando International Airport. We walked by an etched glass window by an area under construction. I happened to look down at the base of the window to see this, and quickly dug out my camera to take a picture (and my wife just rolled her eyes). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

orlandolux.jpg

This is a cluster of luxeons on a control board. They are all colored luxeons (no yellow phosphor visible through the optics), and have NX05 optics. It looks like they were meant to light up the etched window display (a tropical scene). Given that there is control circuitry, and 3 power FETs that I could count, I'll bet that they're doing a color wash type thing mixing RGB colors. These luxeon boards were along the whole length of the etched window.

So if you're in Orlando international, keep an eye out for this display.

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Re: Luxeon sighting - Orlando International Airpor

Congrats on your honeymoon, and...

GEEK!

Well, I guess I would've done the same... ahem...

JohnJ80

Enlightened

Congrats.

Get used to it, most things that guys really get into, spouses roll their eyes at. When you've been married for a long time, most of them finally just give up on changing you. You've heard the old saw - men marry women hoping they will never change, women marry men hoping they will. ;-)

J

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

My church (yes, church!) has a bookstore/cafe attatched and we have multiples of what appears to be that exact unit hanging from the ceiling (and also some round ones too). They have a more opaque lens covering than the one in your photo. They project colored light onto some white cloth that is stretched across the ceiling (looks kinda like the Denver Int'l Airport). The first time I saw them, I knew they were Luxeon powered. In the roughly two years that they have been running daily (~ 12 hrs. / day), I would guesstimate that 1-2 Luxeons per board have failed, independant of the color.

They aren't a color "wash" but instead one color just slowly fades in, then fades out, and the cycle is repeated for each of the three colors (red, blue, and green). I am told that you are supposed to be able to select from several different color changing "programs" kinda like you can on most Christmas lights these days. They're very bright!!! I don't know who makes them, as the housings were painted over to hide them better.