Luxeon-based TV cabinet display shelf lighting

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife set up the top shelf of our TV cabinet as a wedding display. We both saw the need for the cabinet to be lit up with some interior lights.

The subject.
cl1.jpg

What better to use than a couple of 1W luxeons?
Here's the solution:
cl2.jpg

There are two, 1W Q2J stars AA'ed to 4" long pieces of 1/16" thick, 1" aluminium bar stock for heat sinking. They are wired in series, and have a constant current source delivering 500mA to them. I wired them into my existing luxeon room lighting setup, so they're all turned on by the same switched outlet.

The results (in daytime):
cl3.jpg

Later tonight, when it's dark, I'll get a shot of the whole living room, with all the lanterns and the cabinet lighting working.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Can't wait to see the night time photos. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing your "existing luxeon room lighting setup" if you don't mind.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most excellent!

Pay attention guys, this is one way to get the wife to like Luxeon LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Very nice. I too will be waiting for the pics with your nice Luxeon lanterns included.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the whole room lit up by 8 luxeons (2 in the TV cabinet). There is another one to the left of the frame on the other side of the fireplace (I need a wide angle lens for my camera).

cl4.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW

that is a nice living room and a nice lighting apperture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
i would love to be there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is so cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif and your wedding display looks great!! Good work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'll bet the lighted cabinet is brighter than the tv set. Nice work :cool:

Y'know, this just brought back a nice memory from my childhood days. My dad had a big ol' DuMont console black and white tv set, a real piece of furniture in itself, and there was a small lighted knick-knack shelf on the left side of the cabinet. There were one or two night-light bulbs nested in the ceiling of the little display area, where there were little recessed alcoves cut into the wood for the lamps. I remember being fascinated by those "hidden" bulbs in the tv set's cabinet.

A flashaholic, even as a toddler... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

n_den

Newly Enlightened
this is great! good job. try the warm whites.

i used the warm whites to replace my girls halogen lamp she used for her crystal display case. the crystals look great and less heat then the lamp. now i have to make her a bigger case.

we also lit our living room similar to evan9162 but we used the warm whites. softer for the mood thing.

i took pictures with my cybershot but for some reason the images look really dark and doesn't even come close to what we see. oh, well. maybe someone else will have more luck.

in home lighting is much easier because you can use a power supply instead of batteries.

ka

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone.

I might try playing around with some warm whites eventually, just to see how I like the color.

Pitto

Newly Enlightened
just change the two shelves from timber and make them glass so the whole cabinet lights up :thumbsup:

its got me thinking now, i have to do something like this in my kitchen.

G

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original post is 3 years old now, I have since moved to a new house, and added LEDs to the cabinet:

newcl1.jpg

I glued some oak flooring transition trim to the front of each shelf, creating a lip. The luxeons on the bottoms of the shelves are shielded by those lips, as to not create glare for the observer.

I realized that i have a ton of unused luxeons - I think I might complete the trifecta, and put some lights over the TV for effect.

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
Looks good with the trim pieces! I was considering doing a similar thing under the kitchen cabinets. Sure would be a lot cheaper to use up old Luxeons than to pay for expensive pre-built stuff.

Does the cat scratching post still have backlighting? :rolleyes:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no scratching post anymore - in fact, we're in a different house than what that picture is from. When it gets darker, I'll get a shot of the new setup.