New U2 images from Don M

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh ... very nice!
if this clip with the threaded hole is a production item ... mmmhhh ...
soon now ... very sooon ....
I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernhard

Clint

Newly Enlightened
Looks Great!!!!

But I'm not a big fan of that pocket clip though!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

iceweasel

Newly Enlightened
I did want to mention that Don said he made, or at least modified the pocket clip in the image. I thought it was a brilliant idea. The thread was one I had started regarding using LEDs as a light source for macro photography.

I don't know if I can afford the light but I would love a hand of those pocket clips (aesthetically pleasing or otherwise) for my lights. It would increase their utility considerably.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, it's huge next to the E2e. Seems like it's too large and bulky for EDC.

I think after the initial excitement dies down it'll go the way of the L1/2. Especially considering the price.

My L4 will keep it's crown as EDC king.

indenial

Enlightened
I've handled what I thought to be a U2 prototype not too long ago, but the pics look identical. It definitely requires a holster. I don't know if it's worth the money. The Lionheart seems a better choice, although it's not going to max out at 100 lumens as I understand it.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 looks great to me. Just the thin plastic ring covering the base of the clip seems rather unbefitting of a $270 price tag. Otherwise a good looking light.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a pic of the U2 along side an L5, L6, and L7. If I'm gonna have a bigger light, I want one with big punch and throw too. I can tweak down the power on my EDC ARC4+ for a small amount of light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't have an L7 but here is the U2 with a selection of SureFires including the L1, L2, L4, L5 & L6:
al-u2k.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

The clip in those pictures had the stock SF clip button, which is a very nice molded plastic affair with SF logo and domed contact surface replaced (by me) with a metal threaded button of my making.

I believe the U2 will be received like any other light, with mixed reviews. The beam distribution pattern is that of the L5. If one analyzies the U2 certain perceived defficiencies may be encountered or suggested. There are no visual or tactile level marks or detents, for instance. You can even position the level adjust collar between levels for a "lower than adjacent levels" level. Depending on the particular LED and amount of orange peel on the reflector, the 5W donut will likely be decernable to some extent or other. I expect that the U2 will receive some "should have", "would have" and "could have" comments. There are many things that the U2 simply isn't. It is no magic bullet.

When the U2 is actually used, many of the perceived defficiencies are not noticed as they really don't effect the essence of the tool. The U2 is a 5W flashlight which has a useful beam pattern providing a significant amount of light intensity both in its reflected beam as well as its spill. The intensity can be adjusted through 6 levels rapidly with no need for thought. There is no lag time or button sequencing; simply rotate the collar for up or down until the target is illuminated at the desired level. There is no need to count or feel or look at the light. With your eyes on the target, dial to suit. I think the U2 will be appreciated and used by real "users". The U2 is a good and viable host for a 5W LED and the compromises made in terms of size and function have resulted in a "honest" tool that can provide certain illumination utilities not found in any other current production flashlights; at least that I am aware of. If one were to grab a handful of lights with which to wow their friends,the U2 might or might not be part of the group. If one were to grab a light or two for use or in anticipation of use, the U2 would likely be one of these that was chosen. I think the U2 will likely become an EDC for a select group of people who actually need a light of the U2's capability. Although an apparent paradox, I think the U2 is a specialized illumination tool for those in real need of a good general all purpose illumination tool. Many are served well in casual use by say a multi tool. Others need a real set of lineman's pliers on their tool belt. If you need what the U2 has to offer, it will not let you down in use.

BTW, the clip is a good stainless steel clip and very secure. It can be removed by those who don't need it. The SF Z60 as well as some other after market tethers and clips can attach to the bail of the clip to serve as a lanyard when needed.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The sample I got to play with did not have any noticible shift in color tint from low to high. I frankly don't know if the various levels are different current levels or different duty cycles (PWM) and I am not versed in the electronics to even know if my distinction here is valid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

In general, I expect that YMMV regardless and I think it is a real disservice to sample one light from the population and make a statement such as "The U2 has a perfect white beam with no real off white tint to speak of." ( A true statement for my sampling, BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif )

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Thanks for your insight and comments on the U2. In general, the more this light is discussed, IMHO the less interest I have for it.

IMHO, I think the cost of this light is priced way two high for what your getting. I think many of the fine modders on this site have produced lights (or accessories) that are far supperior in quality and function than this new addition to the Surefire family.

In the end, I'm sure it will be built with bulletproof quality craftsmanship as we all have grown to expect from Surefire, and the user changeable illumination levels will prove functional and usefull.

But without having the "Wow!" factor punch/effect of increased overall output or a better designed collar, or something, I think Surefire has simply missed the boat on this one. Add to that a price tag of $250+ dollars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif!!!!!""""

The fine modders out there have proven the technology in this light can be produced reliably and affordably (well sometimes anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif), while still providing that ever pleasing WOW factor.

To me the Surefire U2 simply doesn't do much for me that we haven't already seen and that most of us are pretty much using on our lights already!!

Please don't take this as a knock on Surefire. They are still a top notch company that have put many smiles on our faces for many years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I just think they are a bit behind the times on the release of this light.

If the U2 came out a year ago, I may have been more impressed and would have a different opinion.

Well anyway, what do I know. Just my $0.02...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
MSaxatilus ... I tend to disagree here. OK, no obvious wow-factor, but so what? Every wow-factor disappears over time, but the U2 will always be a valid general-purpose illumination tool that offers long runtime, low and very bright levels as well as a reasonable size and SF-quality.
What more could I want right now?
And sure, our modders and creators have come far, but IMHO no one has gone further than the U2 will go right now.

Every light has its weaknesses, and the U2 just isn't a mega-scorcher with the size of the L4. But it still will be a great tool. At least I hope so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

bernhard