Red luxeon question????

coachbigdog

Enlightened
My Dad hunts and was wanting a red light that could throw 70-100 yards.I don't know anything about colored leds so is there a modded light that could possibly do this?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Red Luxeons are much brighter than red 5mm LEDs. A red Luxeon in a large reflector might work, but I don't think a red Luxeon is going to be bright enough.

I think a really bright incandescent with a red lens will do what you want. I used to have a small spot light with a red lens and it was dimmer with the red lens than with the clear lens. What I mean by this is I think if you start with a incandescent light with a clear lens that will throw 200-300 yards and add a red lens you might get a red light that will throw 70-100 yards.

There was a thread similar to this a few months ago.

EDIT: I found the other thread

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a green led would serve you much better than red. I had a red led and filter and they both sucked IMO. Very short narrow beam, like looking through a pin-hole.

IIRC, somebody posted a while back that the majority of troops used green led's, not red, a common misconception.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also this option
Edit: It died from quality control issues and my obsession with finding ways to blow things up.
Pm. the manufacturer with any questions about it before buying it from him.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've made one for someone who also hunts. Here is what works best:

R/O (red oranage) luxeon, mounted in a 2D or 2C maglight using a cut down reflector. I suggest you get the hotlips or o-sinks for heatsinking, it will make it lots easier and you'll center the led perfectly.

Red luxeons look pretty much like R/O luxeons. but are way way dimmer in comparision. I have both and they both look about the same in color. The red isn't a deep red, it's a car brakelight red just like the R/O. Very hard to tell the difference in colors.

Anyways, It works GREAT. Animals can't see it at all (unless your right in front of them!) and as an added benefit, their eyes glow red back at you. You see animals eyes that you can't even see hiding!

Batteries last forever (DD 2d or 2c) since they only pull 300-400ma. And the guy I built it for wanted 100yards, well Ive asked him if it lives up to what he wanted and he said it's better!