Looking for a rainbow assortment of LEDs

Jonathan

Enlightened
I am looking for a supplier that has a single family of LEDs (same package, same light distribution, similar current ratings, different Vf)in the standard rainbow of colors (Red-Orange-Yellow-Green-Blue-Violet).

Luxeons seem to fit the bill, except that they are a touch overkill for the application (a 'Pride' mod to a bike blinker).

Another company which has something that seems to fit isVishay 'Spider Leds' in various colors which would be great if any of the usual suspects (Digikey, Futute-Active, Arrow, etc.) actually carried these components.

The killer part of my requirements is for the violet LED; I've already decided to settle for having two distinct blue wavelengths.

Regards,
Jonathan Edelson

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Check your inbox.
You should find a message detailing sources for all of these, including that elusive violet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Craig, -thanx 4 that other message on the sample UV LED from Virginia.

Now, is the violet mentioned above also a UV? If not, could you also tell me the source of the Regular violet. (455nm or shorter)?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr.glow:

Hi Craig, -thanx 4 that other message on the sample UV LED from Virginia.

Now, is the violet mentioned above also a UV? If not, could you also tell me the source of the Regular violet. (455nm or shorter)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a big hole between pure blue (445-450nm) and deep blue-violet (405nm). So there is nothing at all available between these two wavelengths. The "UV" LED running between 395 and 405nm falls right at the edge of the visible spectrum, and will appear purple when operated next to an ordinary blue LED, even if it appears to be of a more bluish color when operated by itself.

Right now, the shortest wavelength *blue* you can get are your garden variety Nichias. Typically 470nm; though sometimes you can find them as short as 460nm.

There is a 445nm deep blue Kingbright available, but the only distributor of this part has a minimum order of 500pcs. This LED uses Cree's 450nm standard blue chip, and I've seen a version that uses their new 450nm MegaBright chip as well. (this is the shortwave visible blue counterpart to their 395nm and 405nm MegaBright violet (near-UV) chips found in all those "money detector" keychains flooding the market.)

A slightly lower powered, 400nm version of this chip is made by Uniroyal, and it too has been showing up in some of those "money detectors". It can be told apart from the Cree chip because it is a bit larger and has two bond wires, not one.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Craig, but which ones are you using on your wild wheelchair?
-I'd like some of those, if I could get 'em in small qty.

Also, I got a small small cross pendant from a friend-she said it was $3. from extremeglow, and it has a beautiful little 3mm Royal purple blue LED in it, -with two gold bond wires.

-Unfortunately the LED broke off the pendant and I was able to heroically rescue it, but I would sure like to find another one just like it, without having to order another $3. pendant.
tongue.gif

(obviously having love affair with "purplish" LEDs right now)
blush.gif
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr.glow:
OK Craig, but which ones are you using on you wild wheelchair?
-I'd like some of those, if I could get 'em in small qty.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I e-mailed Jonathan, I got those LEDs just by digging through boxes and drawers and bags full of old LEDs. I just kept plugging them into a proto-board until I found pairs that had a divergence & brightness within a range I would accept for the project.

Realistically, your best bet is the following:

Hosfelt Electronics has Toshiba red, orange, and amber LEDs. Look for those with a brightness not exceeding around 6,000mcd. Any higher and you'll end up with those "fuggly" narrow beam models.

The blue-green LED I used came from an ebay purchase I made about a year ago. I don't know where to get blue-green LEDs with a wider viewing angle other than paying $8 apiece directly from Nichia.

B.G. Micro has the green and blue. LED-1050 and LED-1051 are the part numbers.

FTL Distribution has the violet.
Send $1 and a self-addressed, stamped padded envelope to:
FTL Distribution
Box 7344
Richmond VA 23221
Be sure to enclose a note requesting a "sample UV LED".

If you need more than 1 violet LED, you'll need to get them through Ken at LED-Center.

Also, I got a small small cross pendant from a friend-she said it was $3. from extremeglow, and it has a beautiful little 3mm Royal purple blue LED in it, -with two gold bond wires.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no way of telling you what's in that thing without seeing one for myself. If you can buy & mail me one, I'll gladly paypal you the money for it. Then I might be able to tell what the LED is.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
I have no way of telling you what's in that thing without seeing one for myself. If you can buy & mail me one, I'll gladly paypal you the money for it. Then I might be able to tell what the LED is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-BTW, I mailed off to FTL yesterday, thanks for posting that, and I also noticed about their flashlights avail for $4.!

If I can come up with a need for $25.(X-glow's minimum order), I'll be glad to just send you one of those nice little crosses -with my compliments.....

p.s.-anybody need any more glow sheeting?????
grin.gif

machspass

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that in this great quest for the Holy Grail....er, I mean the full spectrum of LEDs, that nobody has mentioned our friends at www.theledlight.com. I have bought the high brightness green, blue-green, and blue LEDs from them, and they are great. Here's the specs:

Green: 525 nm, 11,600 mcd, 15 degree beam
Blue-green: 505 nm, 4300 mcd, 15 degree beam
Blue: 470 nm, 3460 mcd, 15 degree beam

They have some nice red, orange, and yellow ones too. The only one they don't carry is a good violet. They have a UV one, but they want a rediculous $30 a piece for them. I ordered some 395 nm violet/UV from Ken at The LED Center, which I like quite a bit.

Craig, I remember that you reviewed both 395nm and 405nm violet LEDs. I know that the 405nm had a more bluish hue to it, but what is your opinion of it compared to the 395nm? Does it still look distinctly violet? Is it significantly brighter in the visible range than the 395nm? When I compare the relative brightness of the violet to the other colors, it is nowhere near as bright. Can you suggest an alternative?

BTW, that is one wild wheelchair! Too cool!!!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

machspass

Newly Enlightened
(obviously having love affair with "purplish" LEDs right now)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, it's my favorite color!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

PURPLE POWER!!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Check your inbox.
You should find a message detailing sources for all of these, including that elusive violet.

gpscoot3.jpg

The camera does not render LED colors properly, but they're all there.