I need a set of electric plug adapters...

BigToque

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to be in India, Singapore and Thailand over the next 5 months and I need a set of electric plug adapters that can both fit the countries plug outlets, but also change the voltage to 120V 60Hz that my North American devices can handle.

Do you guys know of such a package? I can seem to only find adapters that will allow me to plug the device into the wall. If it doesn't change the voltage as well, my device will just blow up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you can get those at luggage stores and probably Radio Shack. They step down the voltage, but do not change the A/C frequency, but that is not a problem. They come with different wattage ratings.

Some of your electronics may be capable of using 220/50 already. Check them out. If you are only interested in using a couple of devices, you may be lucky and not even need one.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a lot to consider
like what are you going to power ?

tv's-computers-high powered audio gear ?

curling irons cell phones and hair dryers are easy

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Believe it or not, Wal-Mart has what you want in the luggage section. I got an adaptor so I could charge my camera and cell phone in Korea.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending upon what it is you need to operate, there are two observations.

1). If you are looking for an electric razor, or camcorder, camera or cell phone charger. Don't bother. Outside the USA it has become very unusual not to find a 50VA 115V outlet with a US style outlet in bathrooms almost anywhere you stay. 50 VA won't run most laptops (but most laptop power supplies are quite happy to run on 220-240V, in fact I carry a UK line cord!)

2). if you need an adapter, odds are OVERWHELMING you can get it at your destination, it will be less expensive, and you won't have to carry it. and you won't have to guess what it is already installed at the other end. I standardized on the UK line cord about 15 years ago because it is the most commonly seen 240V plug in the world, and everyone either has the outlet, or an adapters for it.