Best All-Time Swimming Pool Toys and/or Gadgets

guncollector

Enlightened
Subject says it all. Looking to add to the "fun factor" of our pool.

Pictures (and vendor links) appreciated. Please, only if you've actually owned or tried it.

TIA!

Eric_M

Enlightened
Re: Best All-Time Swimming Pool Toys and/or Gadget

"Noodles" are big right now. Long maybe 5' round tubes of foam that float.

Noodle

raggie33

*the raggedier*

the dollor store has lots of fun water gadgets and for a buck a peice pick up a few

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I was a kid we didn't have many pool toys, but we had a blast diving for coins or playing pool games like Marco Polo, sharks and minnows, etc. A couple of squirt guns are good for a few laughs, too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol i recall useing a hose and putting it in my mouth trying to see if i can breath on the bottem of pool.. or diveing for coins or loops or banging coins on bottem of pool cause it sounded cool under water

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I tried the garden hose trick also. I thought I could use it to beath at the bottom of an 8 foot deep pool. As soon as I tried to inhale my chest collapsed and I lost all of my air in 0.1 second. Conclusion: there is a fair amount of water pressure at the bottom of a pool.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

My vote for pool stuff is (1) SuperSoaker type squirt gun and (2) anything you can throw but sinks so you need to dive after it (rings, etc. I never thought of a glowstick 'til now but that seems like it'd be fun at night even with the pool lights on). My kids and their parents are amused for endless hours with just that stuff.

Lurker that's pretty cool I never thought about that happening if I were to try that.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I used to enjoy the childrens game with the plastic shapes and the "ball" with the shaped holes that you had to put the shapes in. Throw in the shapes and the ball and complete it underwater. I used to spend a lot of my pool time underwater.
You can get underwater "hoops" that are weighted so they stand upright so you can swim through them. They are good for "assult courses" or races.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
If you want to start a huge water fight, go with the Stream Machine . I prefer the 24" version for use by kids and adults. The 36" is heavy when full of water.

They are also great for canoeing. The 70 foot distance claim is a bit high, but 50 feet is possible. The stream of water is about 3/8". Also works as a canoe bilge pump.

paulr

Flashaholic

For occasional parties etc. throwing around a Cyalume lightstick in the pool is great.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
In our pool, the kids loved jumping onto those flat rafts, trying to surf (ruined a lot of rafts that way). Or jumping through the center of inflatable rings from the deck. And moving the picnic table to the side of the 6' end and jumping in from it was a big hit.

Goggles and snorkels were used often. We had a pair of swim goggles that were blacked out for playing Marco Polo without cheating.

The boys liked the floating basketball net. I took off the small styrofoam the manufacturer used and put a bigger 'noodle' on so it would stay upright better.

A real raft, the kind you can sit in and paddle was used a lot also. The girls liked to pretend they were going places in it. The boys just wanted to jump in it, but weren't allowed, because I'd buy inexpensive ones and the bottom would come out with jumping.

The throw-sink-fetch toys seemed to only be used there was only one bored kid in the pool.

But the absolute best pool toy, the one most requested by all kids (mine and the neighbors), was me. Having an adult that will actually play with the kids on their level is endless fun for them. They would even play with the throw-sink-fetch toys when I played too. They especially liked to be thrown up into the air or thrown into the water from the side. Or to ride me like I was a dolphin, going in and out of the water. They would wear me out in the pool.

And of course, we would swim a night with the lights out and play with my flashlights underwater. They used the flashlights in the pool more that I did.