Looking for a HID/Spotlight, Need Recommendations!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small boat that I take out at night from time to time. I would like your recommendations on a small HID or spotlight that can help me pick out Nav aids at a long distance and has the following features:

1) WATERPROOF,
2) at least 1,000,000 candlepower, if not more (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif),
3) Battery operated or rechargeable (no cords),
4) Maybe about an hour runtime,
5) Small (not as important as output)

I'd love the Thor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, but I need something splashproof, or better yet.. waterproof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Thanks for your recommendations!

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus,

I don't know where your going to find a waterproof 35W HID other than look at some of the dive and underwater video lights.

Splash proof can be done, I guess with some work and propper O-rings the Thor can be made splash proof.

Right off hand I can't think of a water proof host that has enough room inside for the parts and battery pack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Later
Sway

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Looking for a HID/Spotlight, Need Recommendati

KenRad UDL-35A1 HID Divelight

200m waterproof
NiMh rechargeables
3-stage magentic switch
runtime 60-80 minutes
hot restrike
battery indicator LEDs
35W Metal Halide Lamp 4.500K
lanyard
6° reflector, flood reflector as accessory
fixed focus

will upload some pics ...

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic

ok ...

read here for a review of the light (pics are offline, sorry)

look here for some observations about color shifting of Metal halide lamps when moved

pics:

UDL-35A1.jpg

udlback.jpg

udlinteriors.jpg

udlset.jpg

bernhard

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bernhard that is a very nice light, Eh' now your teasing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Me Likey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Sway

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

that thing looks pretty big.

Curtis

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kiessling,

Thanks for the recommendation, but the price on that baby may be a bit out of my range .....$1200 bucks. Ouch!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

they were on sale a few months ago for mere $800 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
it is a very good light though, nothing is missing in this baby! and it perfectly fits your description.
Maybe by looking at ebay you might find one in the second-hand market?
the German Treble-Light company has some strange cooperation with KenRad and Auersbach going on, so that their lights are more or less identical to this one ... but they are the same price, too.

Curtis, yes, it is not a pocket -EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It is 28cm long and 8cm wide, that's not THAT big after all ...

bernhard

P.S.: the cheapest 35W HID is the X990 IMHO, but it is not splashproof IIRC. The KumKang isn't either, and the rest are just as expensive as this one ...

Wait ... Don said something about a smaller 25 or 30W unit similar in design to this one made for Fire-Rescue by KenRad that should be quite cheaper ... might want to check their site for this one

Kiessling

Flashaholic

You might want to ask Kenshiro or TedBear ... they are quite knowledgeable on monster lights.
bk

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
... well I think Fa&Mi has some HID dive lights that might fulfill your needs. For example the MULTISTAR HID12 or the Multistar HID30. The only down side is of course the price. 599,-- EUROs for the HID12 and 959,-- EUROs for the HID30. The HID12 is quite interesting for size as it is about the same size than a MAG 2D. I have ordered one for diving and speleo purpose and will hopefully probably get it during the second week of September (Italy is on holiday at the moment .....). I will post some beamshots & pics then.
Here the URL: Multistar HID12 and 30 (you have to click on "Torches" and then skip to Page 3)

-Norbert

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Ken-Rad and X990 HID lights. Both are wonderful and very bright. The X990 box states: Darkness into Daylight.

True. X990 only $500. Ken-Rad more $$$ but waterproof. Both use D2S 35 HID and ballast. The amount of photons that come out of these toys is incredible!. They are not small pocket toys. I have used the X990 to replace a blown 1000 watt spot light at a show production and it worked.

NikolaTesla