Brookstone Hyper LED light?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped by Brookstone to see if they had any LED lights. Had some magnetic LED blackout lights, but didn't interest me. Then grabbed something that looked like a 2L Streamlight, I thought eh just an incan, hit the switch and was like, whoa, LED. Is it a Luxeon or a copy of a Luxeon? All it said was made in china and looked like a twin task w/o the incan and holes for LEDs. Threw ok too. $50 though

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brookstone is, usually, not the place to shop for good prices. The keychain light my mother got me for Christmas cost $25 with S&H. Better microlights are available for under $10. Try our supporting dealers for better prices.

capnal

Enlightened
I have seen and handled that light many times myself. I agree the $50 smackers is a little steep for it. I also agree that the body looks pretty much exactly like the SL TT 2L.

My strategy with Brookstone is to keep an eye on their website and check it immediately after Christmas. Often they clearance out things like this light for about half price.

True story: about 3 years ago, I got a 5 piece set of kitchen knives from them. It was a pretty good set, fully forged, riveted handles, made in Germany, Solingen steel, all that. Good knives. The original price was $99 in the store. By the following Christmas, they were clearanced out for like $29 bucks.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'v played with this light before; definently a Luxon (1 watt).
The one I happen to mess around with however had a Luxon led in it which produced a weird white and yellow-green spot when I shined it on the wall. I did take it apart at the store to see what battery it used; it uses 2 CR-123A batteries if I remember correctly.

extas

Newly Enlightened
the Blaster 3P is $49.99 pre-sale

XM-3 is $39.99 presale

all current www.elektrolumens.com lights use 3 watt luxeons.

i am not affiliated in anyway, i own a green elektrolumens blaster II modded with a 3 watt TV1J. sweet simple light, makes a mag look like a toy.

extas

Newly Enlightened
goto www.flashlightreviews.com

or just look at

http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/articles/output_vs_throw/chart_throw.htm

that the mag throw is listed as ~ 33% farther than the Blaster II, but the blaster 3p uses the 3watt which throws farther and uses an upgraded optic compared to the Blaster II. I can say that my modded light throws pretty well, and has a nice beam pattern and much better beam quality than a mag 2D, as thats the only big MAG i have. also the color of a 3 watt luxeon is infinitely better than the color of a mag beam. but my light is not exactly like a 3p i only have the older optic.

and the farthest i've ever tested my blaster is 30-40 meters on a someones chimney. lit that up quite well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: fixed a mistype

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
yuandrew said:
I'v played with this light before; definently a Luxon (1 watt).
The one I happen to mess around with however had a Luxon led in it which produced a weird white and yellow-green spot when I shined it on the wall. I did take it apart at the store to see what battery it used; it uses 2 CR-123A batteries if I remember correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iwas gonna say, those chinese light's looked a lot like the streamlight's i was looking at yesterday at batteries plus.
but i am a newbie so.........VDG

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
Saints alive, that Blaster 3P is a beast! Are those runtimes accurate? I could sell my D-cell Mag and get a Blaster and never miss the Mag again.

extas

Newly Enlightened
pretty accurate. before i modded my light i was doing some work and i left the light on overnight. it must have been like 12 hours later, and i picked up the light and noticed it was warm, i had left it lens down and had no idea it was on. and damn it was still really really bright. actually i don't even remember when i last changed the batteries.. haha.

i think the light is so good because its so damn simple. all it has is a switch, a resistor, a heavy aluminum body, and that 30 mm optic. real simple.

if you look at roy's runtime plots

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=312457&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

there's no blaster..

but look at the anglelux lights.. and the #s are right on track.

Latest posts