Inova X5

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard reviews that the Inova X5 is similar in brightness of the Princeton Tec Attitude after 4-6 hours of use. I consider that pretty good becuase the PT is bright to start with.
But my primary use for this light would be to use the spent CR123 batteries from my E2 & Scorpian.

Brightnorm and Kotanga...You have the X5 and other lights that use CR123s. Have you used spent CR123s from SFs in the Inova X5? If so, what is the brightness like? Is it at the "4-6" hour mark and as bright the PT Attitude? Or is it still pretty much still at full brightness?

If it is as bright as the PT Attitude with used CR123s, i don't think i'll get it and just stick with the PT attitude and spend my money elsewhere.
Thanks

Brock

Flashaholic
It's funny you should ask. Aragorn and I were just talking about how you can put "dead" 123s in there and the thing lights up as if it had new batteries in it. It is odd it does that since it does pull quite a bit of power. But as long as it works I like it. I do also use my "used" 123's from my SF in it.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW Brock..you are up at 12:19am PT too? cool. THanks for the quick response!

When you say the thing lights up as if it had new batteries in itwhen you put "dead 123s" in it, do you mean that it is as bright as new batteries? If so...how long does it last before it starts to dim or reach the brightness of a PT Attitude? If i could get 2 hours of "high" brightness, then i think i might get it. THe comparison prictures that i have seen from Craig between the X5 and Arc LS is very promising! Especially from 5 LEDs. And who cares if i can only get 6000 hours instead of the stated 110,000 hours that is listed. Sheesh!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends how "dead" they are when you take them out of the E2. If you remove them when the light begins to dim and don't wait until they are completely dead you should get an hour easy if not two. I would get it for that reason. One hour in the E2 & 1-2 hours in the X5 for a set of 123s is pretty good. Your getting a lot of use out of those expensive lithiums.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Agent

The Innova is idea for 'recycling' used 123s. I used to be very "thrifty" with my usage, prefering to use one of my rechargeables instead of the costlier SF, but not anymore.

I would guess 60-75 minutes of light, with the quality being "close to new" , and easlily another couple hours of light equaling or better than , the PT attitude,

The other option is the ARC LS, and it gives at least a hour of "full power" before the regulation cicuitry kicks.

Anyway you look at it, its good to be able to "suck" the last remaining bits of power of the 123s

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:

Brightnorm and Kotanga...You have the X5 and other lights that use CR123s. Have you used spent CR123s from SFs in the Inova X5? If so, what is the brightness like? Is it at the "4-6" hour mark and as bright the PT Attitude? Or is it still pretty much still at full brightness?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LEDagent,

I've never tried it because I assumed that depleted 123's were inadequate to power the Inova to acceptable brightness. I prefer all my lights to be ready to go at maximum or near maximum brightness, and I will change batteries when a light noticeably loses intensity.

However, after reading these posts I'll try my Triad's semi-depleted batteries in the Inova, even though logic seems against it.

Perhaps the time lag between incandescent and Inova use allows the batteries to recoup more fully than we might have assumed,

Brightnorm

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
I've been interested in picking up an X5 myself, but can't seem to find one. Knife Outlet, 1SKS, and TAD are all sold out. Do any of you know where to find one of these at a reasonable price?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wulong:
I've been interested in picking up an X5 myself, but can't seem to find one. Knife Outlet, 1SKS, and TAD are all sold out. Do any of you know where to find one of these at a reasonable price?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
email John, $35.25 delivered;
<[email protected]> (good service!)

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, Can i have your "dead" 123's???
wink.gif

Everyone, another reason that all the distributers are out of inova x-5's is that they MAY be gearing up for the x-5 that is supposed to have the "tailcap" switch.
just a thought

Spork

Enlightened
is there any news on the new inova products? will they be using the 5600 leds or the new 6400? I really want a arc-ls but from the beam pictures the x5 looks a very nice light and a fraction the cost of the ls.

I would think using the batteries from the e2 would make a good amount of light from the inova. If its over driven with fresh batteries using old 123's would probably extend the life of the inova and bring the led's down to a safer power level wouldn't it? I'm not an expert but this is just my guess
cool.gif
I still think the arc-ls would be better for using them up because of the regulation but that light will cost over double the x5.

Gman

Enlightened
Been doing this for quite awhile, both in my Inova and LS. Works very well in either for about an hour. I change them when my SFs or Scorpion starts to yellow.

Btw, I second the reference to John, below.
He is great to deal with and has a good price. You'd be hard pressed to do better.