Mega MESS

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've messed my Mega [sonic].

Image-610C25ECF02311D8.jpg

As you can see.. megasonic gets a workout.. pretty much every day under-construction.. it was very dusty n dirty but today got sprayed with ceiling texture and had to share.

The actual reason for the pictures was upgrading the pitiful potentiometer that came with my buck puck for a decent one, shown on the megasonic web site. (click on update page).

I took out the 5k linear pot i bought from led dynamics and put in a 10k AUDIO pot... it has some parallel resistance so it works out to 5k total when on 'full'... so i get the full range of brightness.. the added bonus: I can now run the LEDs at full power: 9W or 3W per emitter.. i was at like 8.5W due to the impossibility of getting the exact resistance you want and having to settle for what they have.

In any event... need to control a buck-puck... get an audio pot you'll thank me... the linear pot is close to useless and the audio pot is 'the bomb'... now i have linear control of brightness and power through the whole range.. very easy to double or triple the runtime of my light!

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks on the 'nices'... it's an incredible worklight.. and guess what... now it's even better... just got the latest supplies in from elektrolumens.. and one of them being the 27mm reflector and one being another lux3... whiter than the last batch.

re: mesh... actually it'd be worse.. now the dust falls right through the bottom rather than getting plugged in a mesh... the steady-state temp of mega before putting in 4th emitter was about 115F, haven't run it full power at 12W yet long enough to know how hot it gets now...

However.. holy smoke is it brighter... there is a definite bright hot white spot in the middle of the already bright white main white hot spot.... now it's pretty close to looking like a car light. I will take some new beamshots soon and post them. (have to wait for my new camera to come in).

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the light.. check out the hows n such here

Don't have pics of the newest update with the 4th emitter and the S027XA reflector, but it kicks arse and pics will be online soon as i get my new camera (shipped.. due for delivery 31 aug whoo hoo).. canon S500.

-awr