6V Lantern Mod

zapper

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif After having built this light a little while ago and a few kind people asking nicely for pictures, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif I finally am getting this done. This is the original test mule and therefore a bit rough. Not production pretty, just working. The production ones are nicer.
6VLantern1.jpg

6VLantern2.sized.jpg

6VLantern3.jpg

Well, I trashed the original reflector so I used a Mag reflector cut down and mounted inside the original. The original reflector when used produces almost the exact same beam size/shape, but with artifacts so I actually prefer using a Mag reflector. Also, the star I used was in another light previously therefore all the bad epoxy showing. Anyway, all the holes in the original reflector and heatsink are to increase surface area and just maybe some air circulation. I used a 2" x 1/4" aluminum disk and a 3/4" x 1/2" piece of aluminum rod for heatsinking.

6VLantern4.jpg

I used thermal epoxy to attach them to the back of the star and put a piece of double sided copper board on the rod end to solder the neg lead and use as the battery contact.

6VLantern5.jpg

I'm using a 2 ohm resistor (2.1 ohm actual) which is driving the Q BIN LUX I at ~750 mA. I think it may be too much, but the sink only gets warm and the LED never changes color so I might just keep it there. I have made one with a LUX III and a 1 ohm resistor at ~1.2 A and does that thing throw!! But obviously there is more heat, more heatsinking material, and less runtime.

Beam about the size of a baseball at 3 feet.

6VLantern6.jpg

Beam is on the left Q BIN LUX I hotspot about the size of a basketball at 20 feet (no green in person). The one on the right is a DD 3D TXOJ with a Mag like reflector that I make. Funny though, with similar current (~850 mA) it has a bigger spot (almost 2x) and throws about 25 yards farther (~150 yards) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif Well, I built these by request to be cheap, long lasting lights, and that they are. Heck, they supposedly even float! Anyway, on a 6V alkaline battery rated at 26Ah (eveready) - ~30%, it should give 24 hours of continous, very useable light. I don't have the patience for the testing, heck I don't even have the patience for 3C cell testing!! But, the farmers who have these use them for a couple hours at a time and haven't changed the batteries yet that I know of. Also a retired police officer friend of mine suggested officers keep one in the trunk for working scenes and gathering evidence.

6VLantern7.sized.jpg

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
blinding burgelers that try to break in and eat all your beef jerky? Is there or will there be a production run?

zapper

Enlightened
That's a possible use I don't want to test out. Similar feelings towards testing against snakes, bears and shark attacks!! I make them on an as requested basis usually by the next day or so if I have all the parts on hand depending on the configuration requested.

zapper

Enlightened
OK, I read somewhere last night/this morning on CPF there weren't any 6V lantern mods, to this I reply, "Oh Yeah?". Granted this is my concept to theory model but I'll put up some more pics on the pretty rpoduction ones if anyone really wants.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post them up i say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif could never hurt.

zapper

Enlightened
I've been using this one quite a bit and I've come to a conclusion. It's great for medium and long distance spotting but the beam is too focused and too bright for up close work <3 feet. I don't notice this with the stock reflectors because they are so much wider there is a lot more spill. Oh well, depending on your needs both are fine.

Latest posts