bees

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got bees in my wall,sometime they dig a hole and fly in my room, I have to duct tape the hole,I can hear them buzz when I sleep. Anybody know how to get rid of the bees without killing them?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Unless they have a way out, they will almost certainly create a new exit/entrance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Calling a humane bee removal company would be my suggestion. I am sure there will be some serving your area.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you have a hive in there and you remove the queen bee to another location, the hive will follow. But that is gong to be a major operation, especially if you have to tear the wall apart to get to her. More likely you have a small number of carpenter bees rather than a hive, but your best bet is still getting some bee spray and killing them. I don't think there is any effective and practical alternative.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy, did you read The Secret Life Of Bees?
You won't find any solution for your problem in the book, but the opening of the story starts exactly like your situation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ..and I thought it was plain fiction..

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try getting in touch with a beekeeper. Are they really honey bees, or are they wasps or hornets or yellow jackets?

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet would definately to call a pro. See what they suggest. If you try to do it yourself(which I wouldn't recomend) do it at night when the bees are less active.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are critter control people that specialize in bees. They will be able to tell you what they are and if it's possible (or practical) to rescue them. If it's really a whole hive then you really want them gone or you'll come home some weekend and find them building a new hive in the corner of your bedroom instead of in the wall!

And then make sure that you find where they got in and fix that. Unless it's carpenter bees in which case they just drill their own hole wherever they want :O But I don't think that they then build whole nests in the holes.

If it's honey bees and if they have been there for any length of time they are storing honey! And if you just spray them to death that honey will slowly drip down in your walls attracting other insects or even seeping out onto the floor or down and into the ceiling below and all sorts of yucky possibilities! Get the critter control people in to check it out.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Some places will remove them for free. They sell the insects for research and antivenom manufacturing.

Kirk

Enlightened
Glockboy,
What a coincidence! There was an article in the local paper today about a couple that had "bees" in their walls. They called a beekeeper to come and get them. He came out and said those are "meat bees" or "yellowjackets", a type of wasp, not bee. They are very aggressive and can cause lots of damage by chewing the wood and drywall. The way I understood the article, honeybees don't make holes, but they will use any cavity they find in trees, walls, etc. You can't just spray bug killer in the hive as the bugs will die and rot and attract more wasps or even ants. This couple paid $1200 for 2 men to come out, cut holes in the interior wall, spray poison, vacuum up the bees and any nest material, and patch the holes. The homeowners just had to do some detail work and paint. Have you caught any of the bugs? The yellowjackets I've seen are smaller, skinnier, more of a bright yellow color than the typical honeybee. I suppose if you looked in the hole you might see honeycomb if they are honeybees or that papery nest stuff if they are wasps/yellowjackets. Be careful and good luck!
Regards,
Kirk

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Last week in Santa Ana they had to evacuate a residential block when kids "set off" a wall hive in a residence. I refuse to "sign up," so can't link the article. They found over 400# of honey after gassing it, which they had to do twice! They're testing them for africanization.

Larry

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Free, home grown honey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
If you can safely harvest it, put it up for sale in small jars, or sealed vials in the bst non lights forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif That's thier rent for using your home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check with farmers in your area. They'll know beekeepers who'll give you the right info. It's almost always better to have the hive removed rather than killed. Cleanup and repair might cost you a bit, but safe removal of the hive is worth not getting multiple stings.

BTW, without bees, almost nothing can get pollenized and grow. There's also a mite that is attacking bees in N. America. That's bad news for everyone.

-(a different) Craig