GMAIL - what's the verdict?

jook

Newly Enlightened
GMAIL - what\'s the verdict?

Thought I'd ask here since I know there's a bunch of users. The jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. I've been using it (2 accounts) for over a month - thanks to one invite here - and I had enough faith to begin using it as my primary email address.

I like the storage space and the whole concept of labels. I guess those are the 2 major assets. On the other hand, the use of labels, contrary to gmail's claims, is not akin to the invention of the wheel. And at times, it's downright confusing, at least to me.

I don't like the lack of distribution lists, having it add every email address I send an email to my address book (with outlook you can toggle this on or off) and the lack of support.

Why does google call this a beta if they don't solicit opinions or respond to problems? If they're too owverwhelmed, which is what the canned response sez whenever you send a message to them, why not have a support forum? Or do they?

When all is said and done, I like it a whole lot better than everything else I've used. But I think it's got a ways to go.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: GMAIL - what\'s the verdict?

I have not been able to get any invites. I have an account but would like to get my girlfriend an account but no matter what I do I never got an "invite a friend" thing so I could send her an invite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I like it. Easy to use, no spam, fast, attachments and replies are much easier than yahoo etc. IMO.

Thanks.
Curtis

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

It's a keeper. I'd like it to have a calendar function also. Sometimes I find that it inserts line breaks in my messages where I don't expect them. I send messages to myself as todo reminders and use the search function to manage them. It would be nice to do wild card searches in addition to whole word searches; I imagine they did this to improve search speed. Recommended.

Saaby

Flashaholic

You'll get mixed reviews from me.

Even though it's supposedly a brand new service in super-selective beta, my first 4 or 5 choices for a name (rather obscure names at that) were taken up. Maybe some Saab forum out there was handing out invites before I got one?

I don't use it much since I prefer my Mail application, the one that lives outside a web browser and allows me to read my mail offline if I want, but I think it's an excellent alternative for all those out there still using Hotmail.

What's that? I work for Microsoft? Ohh, gMail sucks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jook

Newly Enlightened

For those of us with nothing better to do, ahem ahem, check out gmailswap - it's hilarious. It's a list of people who want an invite desperately enough to swap favors or phony pictures from Norway, etc... you get the idea.

http://www.gmailswap.com/index.html

Screehopper

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jook said:
Why does google call this a beta if they don't solicit opinions or respond to problems? If they're too owverwhelmed, which is what the canned response sez whenever you send a message to them, why not have a support forum? Or do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have a support forum per say, but they do read your feedback. I've gotten a response from them. See the link below for features they added and bugs that they fixed. And features that they are possibly working on.

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/request.py

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got an account from a friend of mine, how long before I can invite other people??

jook

Newly Enlightened

Screehopper, I got the same or similar message once. However, I rec'd no reply to my last 2, except a canned response about how they might not have time to answer my question. Which, obviously, they didn't. I dunno, maybe they are too overwhelemed. Just seems to me a support forum would be beneficial to everyone, especially them.

Eric, I heard google stopped giving out invites, but I got 2 almost simultaneously about a week ago. My guess is that it's based on how much you use it.

Screehopper

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jook said:
they are too overwhelemed. Just seems to me a support forum would be beneficial to everyone, especially them.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are third-party support forums such as www.gmailforums.org. I'm sure someone for google lurks through there to gage how gmail is doing. I lurk through there myself and some of the hints there are pretty useful. Work arounds for a notepad, etc.

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
cue003, PM me your girlfriend's email address; I'll invite her.

Post a pic of her too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

2dim

Enlightened

"Even though it's supposedly a brand new service in super-selective beta, my first 4 or 5 choices for a name (rather obscure names at that) were taken up."

Might have found the reason on that hilarious gmailswap site:

"...the best email addresses are being gulped down by nefarious hooligans."

Dagnabbit! It's them danged 'nefarious hooligans' agin!!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i got the one i wanted .i had gmail for a bit now i like it no spammmmmmmmmmmm i hate spam.

2dim

Enlightened

Can't believe someone else chose the name Chunky Cuspidor before me...