LED Flashlight as a Tactical Flashlight

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Who here carries an LED flashlight as a tactical flashlight? My definition of a tactical flashlight is a flashlight that one uses with a firearm to illuminate a target. I personally carry a Streamlight TL-2 LED because I find it to be bright, rugged and easy to carry due to its belt clip.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
From my experince LED's are very good for Tactical Flashlights. At least if they use high BIN 3- or 5-Watters.
My experinces with the SureFire L4 are great and my McLux PR-T equipped with a LUXIII would probably even be a better choice if I'd like the form factor of that light (My "Tactical light" if one wishes to say so, has always been holstered bezel down; not soo good with a PR-T).

For typical Handgun and Self Defense distances the L4 flood beam is just fine with the approbiate amount of light on the target to temporarily blind. I think it also has to do with the color temperature of the LED's compared to Hotwires.
...FWIW...

Holger

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LEDs are great for blinding as they have a very short "warm up" time - they are almost instantly on - whereas a incandescent will take a few hundreths of a second to come up to full brightness
this gives the eyes's Iris a few seconds to close up - lessening the effect of the "flash"
i use my L4 when im inside buildings, or in other enclosed areas

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Agreed Echo, as far as I'm concerned the L4 is the perfect inside buildings light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and when using Pilas the use of the light is guilt free! The aggressive knurling also allows me to hold the light using any number of tactical illumination techniques (including the Rogers / Surefires method)

The only downside to LED's from my perspective is that they still drop short of incandescents in the throw department. However considering LED's are shock proof and do not require lamp changes (and are thus much more reliable), it is a compromise I for one am willing to make. Also, after seeing the performance of the x200a, I think in the very near future LED's will start rivalling incandescents in throw as well...

In my 2 is 1, 1 is none logic, I will always have an incandescent (at present either my g2z or M3) anyway... And my LED light (at present a L4 with pilas) provides as a backup to my primary light failing, and also a searching / general use light...

If I was just taking one light, it would be the L4 in the pocket, as I have no hesitations in using it and relying upon it as a tactical light...

I'll also add that in terms of a 'tactical' flashlight, for my purposes the existence of a pocket clip is negligible, I either use holsters or pocket it (I MUCH prefer bezel down carry)...