Arc4 Strobe Mode discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
In several of the software threads, some of you have asked for a strobe mode. I would like to get a consensus on some of the features. Here's what I have gathered so far:

1. select strobe mode from options menu, press and hold to activate
2. once in strobe mode, click to increase rate in 1hz steps. double click to reverse direction and then click to decrease (works like brightness setting menu)
3. while in strobe mode, press and hold to exit strobe mode. Light returns to normal operation
4. When entering strobe menu, frequency used is last selected frequency.
5. Rebooting the light erases the last selected frequency and returns to the factory default (10hz)
6. Min frequency is ~5hz, max frequency is probably about 100hz or so (limited by hardware, to be determined)
7. Power level is last used brightness (primary, secondary or tertiary)
8. Accuracy is probably about +-10% or worse

Understand that the Arc4 is designed to be a flashlight and not a strobe tool. Strobe can be added but this is not the primary design goal of the product. If you need a precise strobe for measuring RPMs, etc, you should use a tool specifically designed for that purpose.

We are considering this feature because you asked for it. Please let me know if the above spec is workable for you.

Peter

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
One click / Hz will be too slow, I think. Maybe have it
increment faster the longer the button is held down?

The +-20% doesn't bother me. If I use this feature, I'll
just hold the button down until the moving thing seems
to stop moving. If I'm interested in the actual frequency
I'll use another tool.

Don't know if it'll make a difference in the programming, but I wouldn't expect or require the tint control to work in strobe mode.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
This sounds very good so far. But I think if you want to get a 100 Hz strobe, clicking 100 times is exctremely impractical. Perhaps one should be able to switch between an increase rate of 1 and 10 Hz by triple-clicking...

Or even better: triple-click changes between 1/10 Hz, 1 Hz, 10 Hz. (I think 1/10 Hz is important if you want to get things to look like they stand still, because 1 Hz is not enough. Just imagine: if a wheel spinns with 10,5 Hz and you can only do 10 or 11 Hz, then the wheel will look like it's spinng with 1/2 Hz, (one full turn every 2 seconds))

What do you think?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info here Peter. Will all this functionality be incorporated in the Arc5 as well or are these special to the Arc4 configuration?

Thanks.

Curtis

yyy

Newly Enlightened
I think would be very useful if the lowest setting would be around 1Hz. If you use the light just for signaling purposes, battery life would be much longer.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
No strobe please. You're starting to over-engineer a light Peter. You're trying to please everyone and the result is going to be a light gets thrown into the drawer because of it. Tell me, are the same folks asking for strobe the same ones complaining the current design is too complicated?

Between this and the thread I just read concerning the "simple" mode, I'm starting to wonder. The Arc4 is not a complicated light to operate, as is.

Commander

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
No strobe please. You're starting to over-engineer a light Peter. You're trying to please everyone and the result is going to be a light gets thrown into the drawer because of it. Tell me, are the same folks asking for strobe the same ones complaining the current design is too complicated?

[/ QUOTE ]

x2

I agree... This is a light (the best out there IMO).... Not a instrument.

fuelblender

Enlightened
I say leave the strobe off. I'll wager that the S.O.S. feature is hardly used other than for a "wow" factor. I'm willing to bet that the same will be for the strobe. Hey, guys, It's a flashlight - let's leave it as such.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Up to Arc whether to include it or not, but I probably wouldn't use it, personally.

I'm all for features that make a more capable flashlight. Things like the SOS feature are, IMHO, there because of well meaning people who think that a light that _can_ flash SOS _should_ flash SOS. Design by committee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Arc4 isn't complicated, but I would strip out everything I think doesn't make it a better EDC flashlight. SOS, RFS, the second tactical mode, strobe mode, etc. You have the side effect of simplifying the menu some, for those that find it complicated.

Eliminating some of the fluff might leave room for other features which would be useful. (No, can't think of any at the moment.. just sayin'...)

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my ARC 4+, but I think it is already overloaded with "WOW" features. I would rather see accessories (battery packs, pouches, ETC) and improvements on useability (switch improvement...) and maybe even tools specific to your lights available on the ARC site (spanner wrench...)

My 2¢

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a strobe mode, but....

The ability to change strobe frequencies is not really needed IMO. Can't there just be one strobe setting that will do a reasonable job for the majority of users/situations? I think having adjustable strobing will just add to the complexity and learning curve of the (already) complex Arc-4 manual of arms. Just IMO, YMMV.

The strobe and SOS modes are nice little extras, but I think having tons of sub-settings for the strobe mode is going too far. This is an EDC flashlight, not a Swiss Army Knife of flashlights. Keep it as simple as possible is my opinion.

I agree with some previous opinions, I'd rather see performance/accessory improvements than more WOW features.

Performance improvements I'd like:

1. Switch improvement
2. Switch guard
3. upgrade the Arc-4 to 3-watt Luxeon (I'm not a fan of the 5-watt like the Arc 5 will use due to the poor lifespan)
4. Nice holster
5. More battery pack choices

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that the average Arc4 purchaser did not spend $150 for just a "flashlight".
The Arc4 is not the smallest and it is not the brightest.
Many have pointed out that better values could be had from LongBow, Nuwai, or others.
"WOW" is a huge part of the Arc4's appeal and that "WOW" factor has got to be maintained if sales are to continue.

If it can't be made smaller or brighter then by all means add new features.
Wasn't that exactly the point of one free firmware upgrade?

The one crowd wanted a simpler interface -- well it looks like they're getting it.
One crowd wanted more features -- well let's get some included.
And for those that like the features as is -- nothing simpler -- just don't use the new ones.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Sounds good, Peter.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, Peter, please give us all the cool, useful, funky features you can cram into a light (for our money). I'd be more than happy with a very quick, very bright double flash kind of strobe that repeated about every 2 seconds.

firehawk

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of a strobe. If nothing else, it will be fun to play with. I do like the method of adjustment that EmissionLine suggested.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
You're trying to please everyone and the result is going to be a light gets thrown into the drawer because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone throw his Arc into his drawer only because it has some features which he doesen't use?

If you don't like the features: Don't use them.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
just my personal opinion here. I don't have an Arc4 so maybe i should shut up, but here goes. take it with a grain of salt, if you have to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
why do you want to add new bells and whistles when you cannot use the current bells properly (given bad switch and all other problem concerning it)?
i say focus on the switch improvement and increase the overall flashlight efficiency rather than adding more feature that only some would use. I believe some have tried to measure arc's efficiency on the first levels and they are pretty low. Why not improve that?

I think what TIN means (I apologize if i interpret it wrongly) is that you cannot please everyone, so why not please the majority? there is some point where too much is just that, too much.

again, just my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Likebright

Enlightened
Opps it just came on in my pocket again.
Needs a switch guard.
But I would probably see it quicker before it got hot if it was set to strobe.
Ya I like the strobe feature.
Mike

inboost

Newly Enlightened
I think the strobe mode would be very useful to those in the automotive profession or any who work with rotational equipment on a daily basis. 100Hz will allow approximation of shaft speeds up to 6000RPM. Spacemarine is right on the money with sub-hertz shifting. 1RPM = 0.0166667 Rev/Sec so a 0.1Hz resolution would allow 6RPM steps which would be more than adequate for the accuracy of the light.

As for determining the frequency selected, I would suggest a blink-out of the actual number value instead of trying to count it up or down from an end-point. This would be similar to a check-engine light sequence for cars with on-board diagnostics. Blink the hundreds place value (0~9), pause, blink the tens place, pause, blink the ones place, pause, blink the tenths place, LONG pause, start over.

I would propose the following method for activating and adjusting the strobe mode. Take it with a grain of salt as I have no formal understanding of the light's software capabilities (I may be suggesting something un-obtanium):

-Strobe mode uses current selected brightness level

-Once the strobe mode is set the light functions as it would for normal use: single click = strobe on, single click while strobing to turn it off, double click while strobing to change brightness of strobe, triple click while strobing to go to lowest brightness level. Push and hold from off to have a momentary strobe at the previously set brightness level.

To eneter a strobe frequency, push and hold during active strobe (previously calls turbo mode, highest brightness) to enter frequency adjust mode.

-In frequency adjust mode the strobe is immeadiately active at the last set frequency and brightness level. One will click-in the number desired (0-9) for the active place-holder. This will go from highest to lowest place (100's , 10's, 1's, 0.1's) to allow rapid dial-in of the strobe. Once the number is chosen a press and hold will store your setting for the current place and step you to the next lower place-holder in the frequency number. Repeated single-clicks without a push-hold set will just cycle through 0-9 endlessly. After the tenths of a hertz place is set a press and hold will lock the strobe at the dialed frequency. If you messed up or want to change it just start over.

-Example: click the light on in strobe mode. It begins strobing at the last frequency set. Press and hold (as you would for turbo mode). The light gives a confirmation that signals it has entered strobe adjust mode. Single click to advance the strobe frequency in 100Hz steps (the light may only go to 100Hz so disregard if 100Hz = max). Press and hold at the desired 100Hz interval, the light confirms and steps you to the 10Hz adjustment. Single click until you've closed in on your target to 10hz resolution. Press and hold to lock in tens place and proceed to 1Hz step adjustment. Repeat again to adjust 0.1Hz step until target becomes stationary. Press and hold to lock in frequency.

come to think of it I will also use this for another hoby of mine, electric micro R/C helicopters (I'm an FP Piccolo Pilot). It would be useful to set the strobe to stop the rotor blades on a full battery and then as the pack ran down one could visually see the head 'slow down' with respect to the originally set strobe frequency.

As previously mentioned, those who don't want features such as this should send in their lights for the 'simple interface' downgrade. I'm waiting eagerly for the strobe mode and any other ingenious light-tool upgrades available!

Keep up the good work Peter!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. The feature will be pretty basic as the Arc4 is designe primarily for EDC function. I just thought it would be fun to add this feature, especially since more than one of you requested it. I am not spending a lot of time on it but it should be able to be included in an upcoming rev.

And of course I appreciate the comments about the other problems with the light and people assuming that those have a lower priority because I am not solicting input. But I don't need to and so you don't know what I am doing about it. The forum now has more competitors on it so the important features are hush hush and the fun features are discussed. But you figured that out already.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.