is a 123a battery the same size as a sub c?

Azreal911

Enlightened
I was wondering if the 123a batteries out there for surefires and other lithium lights the exact same size as the sub c batteries used in rc car applications. main thing is because i really like the fit and finish of the surefires and wanted to by a E2 and plug in a E1 bulb in there. and replace the batteries with some panasonic 3000 mah Nimh's (super long runtime compared to the lithiums 1200mah rating = 3-4hr runtime? awesome!)my rc car charger pumps them usually to like 3300-3400mah! i like it's size and how bright the e1 lamp is compared to a 2D maglite that i've heard. i'm a backpacker/camper and prefer runtime over extreme brightness but want it running pretty long. don't bother suggesting pelicans and uke's i own a pelilite and a mitylite and i'm very content with them. but i just wanted a surefire for night hiking purposes since they are sooo cool! plus the really nice beam they cast.
thanks

Brock

Flashaholic
Hey, this gets me to thinking... sorry I don't ahve an awnser to the size of Sub C to 123, but if they are the same I ahve another idea. You could take 4 Sub C's and put them in the 12PM and use a P61 lamp and head from a standard 6P light. Hummm, now I really want ot know if they are the sme. I have a feeling the Sub C's are a bit longer, or are they shorter?

JoeyL

Enlightened
Sorry, the suc-C is a little bigger.
The 123 is 16x34 mm and the sub-C is 22x42mm.
However, the 6P uses a ni-cad the same width as a 123. But I don't know what it is called.

By the way, there are aa's, c's, and d's,
but why no a's or b's for cells?

Azreal911

Enlightened
Actually there are A's and B's it's just not widely used so you would have to order them from the manufacturers. I think i heard some industries still use those sizes as a standard like mining companies on their equipment and such. dang oh well the surefire cannot be used in such a way. thanks for the info. guess i'll stick with the pelicans and other lights. the possibilities are endless. and i never knew there are other people in this world with the strange addiction like mine. heh.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeyL:

The 123 is 16x34 mm and the sub-C is 22x42mm

By the way, there are aa's, c's, and d's,
but why no a's or b's for cells?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as a possible point of interest from a battery junkie
blush.gif
-I'm using some "2/3A NimH" cells (800mAh) for some special applications and they are exactly same dia. as the 123s and 44mm long. -from B.G. Micro

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a vague recollection that A and B cells were used for equipment which utilized tubes, with one cell running one component (diode??) and the other cell running another component (triode??).

I do remember having a very old portable radio which took A and B cells.

Hope this helps, Walt

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
Just as a possible point of interest from a battery junkie
blush.gif
-I'm using some "2/3A NimH" cells (800mAh) for some special applications and they are exactly same dia.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually 123 cells are 2/3 A cells. I used to refer to them as 2/3A cells, but nobody understood me .-)

A cells and their longer and shorter sisters are widely used. In laptop computers 5/4 A and 4/3 A cells are the most widely used ones. An A cell is some 17.5mm diameter and 50mm long, there is also a 'fat' A cell with 18.5mm. Fat 4/3A cells have up to 4.5Ah.

SubC sells are (by far) the most widely used cells for high current applications like cordless power tools and electric RC models (cars, planes, boats). These cells are different, because their main goal is low internal resistance and good high current behaviour.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeLu:
Actually 123 cells are 2/3 A cells. I used to refer to them as 2/3A cells, but nobody understood me .-)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2/3 "A" cells that I have measure 44mm long, while my Type #123 only measures 34mm long.
confused.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
The 2/3 "A" cells that I have measure 44mm long, while my Type #123 only measures 34mm long.
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very simple: if they are 44mm long, they are no 2/3 A cells. They may be 5/6 A cells or another strange size.
An A cell is 50mm long, therefore is a 2/3 A cell 33-34mm long.