Cheap home brew octane booster???

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two cars that benefit significantly from higher octane fuels (no pinging) But with the current gas prices... need i say more. The cheapest octane boost at Wal mart is still more expensive than just paying the differnce in price between standard unleaded and premium. Is there anything that can be added that is safe for the auto and cheaper than what is commercially available??

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I know of, but are these modern computer controlled cars? You may be able to just burn regular and let the computer adjust the timing a bit to prevent excessive knock. It will also help to keep the gas pedal off of the floor. Good luck.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alcohol is usually about 106 octane rated.
Many cars and trucks don't like to have over 10% alcohol in thier fuels.
Just make sure you are using a "dry", moistureless, methanol alcohol, and that you don't already have "gasohol" in the tank 1st.
Beverage ethanol (grain alcohol) works too, if it is without water of any kind in it, but costs more to make than Methanol (wood alcohol) .
Good luck.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
why risk harm to car use the proeper fuel.is it a high octane motor? or do ya have deposits increaseing compresion?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a 2001 Surburban and timing is electronlically controlled.

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
Methanol can be found as gas line antifreeze, at paint supply stores, and chemical supplies.
Read the link Sloegin provided, it's informative.
Ex g/f's old Grand Am with Quad 4 was fussy, and before I discovered the knock sensor was disconnected, I put together about a litre of a mixture of methanol, isopropyl alcohol, toluol (my main ingredient, similar to toluene) and ATF. Dumped this in a fairly full tank.
I found it worked very well reducing knock, which was half my goal. Also wanted an injector cleaner.
In theory, something with different chemistry than gasoline should work best for removing gasoline deposits, hence the alcohol & toluol. Most commercial (cheap) injector cleaners main ingredient is just kerosene, and some have ATF notable by colour & odour.
Standard disclaimer: Follow my example at own risk.

EDIT: Methyl alcohol (methanol) can also be had from hot rod & race shops. May cost more though, and/or you may have to buy a drum of it.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldn't an '01 Suburban have an octane sensor? If so, and it's working properly, that ought to keep it from needing higher octane.

That said, I find the Vortec 6 in my vehicle does benefit from slightly higher octane (I usually run at least 89), but I don't see any advantage in less knock or greater mpg from anything over 91. And it wastes money you could spend on flashlights.

What I have found that works for me is to drive far enough on a regular basis to give the injectors and the rest of the drive train a good workout (more than 25 miles at least on the highway), run quality gasoline, use an injector cleaner (Castle Dragonfire) regularly, and keep the filters in good shape. Also, be careful of filling at a station that has just been refueled -- lots of crud gets stirred up and is not caught by the filter in the pump.

-(a different) Craig

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
are you guys shure about methonal ? I was under the impression that methonal will attack the rubber and plastic parts of the fuel system not to metion it being poisonus. Ethonal is whats added to the gas in my state(10%) and while at the drag races this weekend one car ran from ethonal. The whole car was painted green with pictures of corn growing in the background.

I will be getting my dads buick next month and sadly I will need 92 octane in that. Thats due to it's supercharger. And I would love a cheaper way to fill it as well.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, perhaps the octane sensor has gone out? I guess I will have it checked and see. It does get about 3 miles a gallon better mileage with the generic Pepboys octane boost though! I will have to work it out and see if it is worth the price.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i nevr heard of a octane sesnsor do ya mean oygen? thats easy to replace usaly right in ya exaust manifold or bvelow

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never heard of an octane sensor

my car has 2 knock sensors
it trys to advance the timing constantly dynamically
to the point just before engine knock accours

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that vehicle has more than 60k miles on it,
#1 check the oxygen sensor; when that goes out and cannot sense oxygen in the exhaust, the fuel mixture gets lean.
(lean knocking)
#2 check the egr valve; when that gets stopped up with carbon, the combustion temps go up and result in premature ignition (knocking)
If you put in an aftermarket low restriction exhaust, the loss of backpressure prevents the egr valve from doing it's job. (knocking)
#3 check and make sure all the little vacuum lines under the hood are in good shape. Any bad rubber, replace asap.
Good luck.

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
I remember several years ago when we had fuel shortages toluene was a good additive to stretch a tank of gasoline and at my company we used up to 10 percent toluene with no problems. Toluene at high concentrations can swell some rubber and synthetic rubber compounds causing weakening or cracking. Keep in mind that EPA frowns on the improper use of additives to fuels used over the road.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my car is fine but it for economy and performance it is constantly and dynamically ajusting the timing advance among other things.
I think most new car engines are like this
I can look at the block learn and the mem cal look up data
with my laptop if I want to