Is this a scam?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the beginning of the e-mail I received it is very long.

Subject: DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284 AND 876

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY AT&T.
DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809

MAJOR SCAM:
Don't respond to Emails, phone calls, or web pages which tell you to call an "809" area Phone Number.

This is a very important issue of Scam Busters because it alerts you to a scam that is spreading *extremely* quickly, can easily cost you $2400 or more, and is difficult to avoid unless you are aware of it.

We'd like to thank Verizon for bringing this scam to our attention. This scam has also been identified by the National Fraud Information Center and is costing victims a lots of money.

There are lots of different permutations of this scam.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:
You will receive a message on your answering machine or your pager, which asks you to call a number beginning with area code 809. The reason you're asked to call varies. It can be to receive information about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc. In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
jt i hit google i entered area code 809 .lol i didnt read em but there was a lots a stuff about scams

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
There's a really good explanation of this on AT&T's Fraud page.

The 809 area code is for the Dominican Republic, where certain laws regarding additional fees and pay-per-call services do not apply.

The email is a scam, but the threat is real.

Added - Here's the FCC's take on the scam.

Added even more - I found it ironic that AT&T has a scam page./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Good reason to use cheap pre-paid calling cards for long distance calling. Sam's sells AT&T and Costco sells MCI both for less than $0.03/minute.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
Good reason to use cheap pre-paid calling cards for long distance calling. Sam's sells AT&T and Costco sells MCI both for less than $0.03/minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. That way the scammers can't get you for more than the few dollars you have on the card. Since I got a Sams telephone card three years ago, I haven't used long distance from my regular carrier.

Paul