Need one good flashlight, Lionheart is a lot of $$

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I have to admit that I have always had a interest in flashlights. Maybe because I grew up in the pitchblack nights of Iowa. But I would not considure myself a Flashaholic. I try to remind myself that in the end it is just a light, and I don't really need a flashlight that much.

So I don't have a flashlight collection. I have bought a few photon or photon like keychain lights. If I end up with extras, I give them away as gifts. I figure it is better to have someone use a light, then waste it.

Anyway, right now I have a photon III, a Yukon HL headlamp (my most expensive light so far), a 10 LED high/low beam 3 AA light, and a mini mag in th car.

I have been looking for a really good light. Because I have heard really good things about MrBulk, I tried to get VIP, but I missed the production run, and I couldn't really justify over $200 for the few that were availible.

Now the LionHeart sounded good, but it is over $200 now too. I really can't justify that much for a light I only need sometimes.

So, this brings me to my question. What would be a good second best to teh LionHeart? The LionHeart may be the best because it can reach 175 feet, but I would be fine with 150 feet. I use that as an example. I am just saying that I don't want to pay a huge amount for a little performance increase.

So what should I do. I know, some will say, save for the LionHeart. And I was, and I would have been close to the $180 by Sept. when the paypal was due.

BTW, I mean no disrespect to Charlie (MrBulk). I am sure his light will be the best, and he is entitled to charge what he wants. If people aren't happy, they have the right not to buy one. But they shouldn't complain.

Thanks

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need one good flashlight, Lionheart is a lot o

I'd like a LionHeart too, but I make do with my pile of "substitutes." Any number of PT, UKE, SL, SF, Inova, or Pelicans will provide good performance in a larger package.

extas

Newly Enlightened

i can only think that modding a good host will keep price down.

too match the size, 3 x aaa, in a holder like the old goldmine light, but with a similiar host using a head that can hold a 27 mm IMS. then DD with t-bin lux III would get you close-ish to the medium setting only.

i can't see how to do it with the multiple settings of any of the recent mr. bulk customs, in a cheap fashion.

i'd like to find a host like that myself. lol post if you can find one. otherwise i'll have to wait until i can go to thailand and look... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

I have always thought alot of the Arc LS. I know that that sounds obvious for me to say since I work at Arc but even before I worked there I knew that Arcs were the best. If you are looking to save money then a ArcLS 2nd is around $50 if my memory serves me correct. I have always been very happy with all of the Arcs i have owned- esp. the Arc LS.

AK

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PocketBeam said:
So, any favorite for price and performance (throw)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that you're looking for an LED light, I would recommend the Pelican M6 LED and the Longbow Micra. The M6 has great throw, with adequate side spill for walking. It is a great value. The Longbow is slightly more expensive than the M6, considerably smaller, and doesn't have the same throw (More of a flood light than a spotlight).* However, it is a great task or walking light, particuarly if you replace the optic with a reflector (very, very easy to do). That said, I probably use my FireFly II the most, simply because it is small enough to carry with me at all times, and because of its handy two-stage switch. Of course, the FFII is more expensive than the Longbow or the Pelican.

* Of course, adding a a booster head to the Longbow ($40?) improves throw considerably.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think... Stream light Jr... & Inova Xo are also good ones... especially at the cost that they are being offered.... may be that their performance is just 70% of what the Top end lights might offer... but, paying 700% more for just 30% of performance according to me is just a foolish thing to do... (its just my personal option)... and i have nothing against/for any of the lights...

Also, the Peak LED's McKinley is a good option too... (though it wont do 200 Feet)... it does about 30 - 50 (according to my guestimates) ... its still a small light... at a right price... and with good amount of light... and with a fairly good runtime ....

whats the point in going in for a light that is $300 .... which will be BRIGHTEST in its class... yet serve only 45 - 50 minutes (till 50% brightness).....

Have you heard a story of Snail & Rabbit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... ok enough for now...

Also... for those.. who are "true" Flashaholics ... cost is really not what matters... its the brightness that matters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... similar to "true love" ... is priceless... no wonder... they all love Lights .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ViReN

ConvertaLux

Newly Enlightened

I like the Longbow Micra because it's the most versatile light on the market. I like modular stuff and the ability to swap out reflectors/optics/LED capsule/power source/tailcaps makes it a hands down winner.Besides, I like a warranty when I pay more than $50 for anything. What is the Warranty on the lionheart? What is the lionheart?
My 2 cents

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone. I like Virens statement about 70%. That helps me get a good comparison.

So any you would say that beat about 70% (subjective), and for a reasonable price?

Streamlight Jr and Longbow Micra seem like the best so far. (Not to exclude the others, but just looking at popularity. I really don't know myself.)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
I think... Stream light Jr... & Inova Xo are also good ones... especially at the cost that they are being offered.... may be that their performance is just 70% of what the Top end lights might offer... but, paying 700% more for just 30% of performance according to me is just a foolish thing to do... ...ViReN

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I think my high end lights are giving more than just "30%" more performance than an Inova XO or a Streamlight Jr.

Many of us who purchase so called "high end" lights aren't just purchasing more "brightness", however you define that.

In addition to overall output, Lux at beam center, and runtime slope (or lack thereof), we want beam quality, various beamspot characteristics, prime electronics, custom switching, dual or multiple outputs, finely crafted bodies and heads, premium materials, custom ergonomics and the ruggedness and reliability that we have come to rely upon from the skilled craftsmen and designers we have available to us here on CPF.

I have two Mr. Bulk VIPs which I purchased for about $160.00 each, not $200.00 each. The LionHeart is pricing at $233.00 each, not $300.00 each. Let's keep the facts straight, eh?

[Edit: That $233.00 price for the LionHeart includes a Pila Rechargeable Kit ($57.00) which if deducted prices the LH light itself at $176.00. My LionHearts will run on a single CR123A with a 1/2 123 spacer or Pila 150A or 150S Lithium Ion cells. With the addition of the 168A tube, the Pila 168A and 168S cells can also be used.]

I think AK's suggestions of the Pelican M6 LED and the Longbow Micra are very good LED alternatives to the customs and limited editions.

If you can get one of the custom McLux PR heads for the LB Micra, it makes a substantial difference in throw along with that beautiful Pelican Reflector beamspot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Lumen

Newly Enlightened

My friend has an elektrolumens Tri-Star-Phaser and man is this thing bright! It's super white and it throws super far. Advertised output is 216+ lumens with about 8 hours total runtime. I'm not sure if it's regulated, but I know that this thing just blows away every flashlight in my collection and that hurts. To me, this is what I consider lotsa bang for the buck, so I'll probably order one for myself!

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about a good incandescent, like the E2e. High quality, good warranty, good performance, good looks, easy to carry, and the price is well under $100. Or maybe a G2 for under $30.

For LED the Streamlight Jr LED is a very good light for under $30 and it uses cheap AA's.

The FF2 is probably the best EDC light I've found so far, but it's not cheap and needs a little fine tuning.

naromtap

Enlightened

I'll second the E2e or G2, especially the G2 as far as value for money goes. I have both, they are great lights, the G2 has the edge on light output but the E2e is slimmer so easier on the pocket. I personally think the Lionheart will be worth every penny the time & effort that Charlie puts into his creations, the only reason I am not on the list is I have a lot on my plate right now financially, but I do own a VIP ($160), and the build quality is top notch as is the light it produces!.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am glad to here from the people that own a VIP. Since I don't have one and have never seen one, I am really in the dark. (OK, I couldn't resist the pun, but it is true.)

Jon, Iowa does get dark enough. Small town, no lights at night, lived next to a forest. Pitch black is a term that comes to mind. Sounds like you are jealous ; )

AK - Thanks. So I would need to mod the Longbow to get the throw. The FF2 seems to have many switch problems. Will considure the M6.

Britt, Thanks for your information. FYI, I know the orginal VIP went for $160, but I missed that run because I didn't see the thread. Anyway, current VIPs run for $200 or more. Cheapest I saw was a $199 one on another thread. I know the current VIP with battery and charger is $233, last guess from Charlie. Since you have the VIP, what would you say comes closest to it? M6 and LB Micra?

I do realize that build quality, ebam quality, etc are issues. I didnt' say to exclude them, just wanted to say Throw was the primary things I wanted to compare.

Lumen, Yes the TSP with three 3W LEDs looks very good. The size is a little big for me, but it sounds like the brightness makes up for it. I was it had a high, med, low setting. I am considuring it, but am really looking for a really good EDC light.

Stingray, I havent' ruled out incandescent, or any thing out. I put the thread here because it seemed a better fit for comparing the Lionheart to the "next best" light. I like the FF2, but too many people have had problems with the two stage switch.

naromtap, Since you have the VIP, can you compare it to your other lights? What comes closests or is maybe even better in some ways to the VIP? Trying to stay around that size for EDC.

Photonboy, yes the 3 watt 2 AA XM-3 does look good. I wonder how good it will be and how it will compare. Can anyone guess a comparison throw versus the VIP (Lionheart should be simular)?

Convertalux, OK, will considure the LB Micra. The Lionheart is a new custom light from MrBulk. LionHeart link BTW, the list for it is still open, but price is expected to be $233.

Thanks to the others that responded. I do read every word that everyone posts. But it is hard to respond to everyone. If a light gets more then one vote, then "I considure it. I am hoping for a overall winner by a land slide. So far overall tie.

I will now considure the Streamlight Jr (LED), E2e, G2,Pelican M6 LED, Longbow Micra would need more throw.(Is the McLux PR head availible right now?)

Thanks again.

AK

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PocketBeam said:

AK - Thanks. So I would need to mod the Longbow to get the throw. The FF2 seems to have many switch problems. Will considure the M6.
I will now considure the Streamlight Jr (LED), E2e, G2,Pelican M6 LED, Longbow Micra would need more throw.(Is the McLux PR head availible right now?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Technically, you won't have to mod the Longbow. The "official" Longbow booster heads screw right on, and gives the LB pretty good throw. I think that the McLux PR heads are still available from the Sandwich Shoppe too. (The reflector "mod" will actually decrease throw vs the stock optic, but sometimes (most of the time for me) a nice even flood beam is more useful than a focused long-thowing beam.)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

PocketBeam, the stock Pelican M6 LED is closer to the VIP on High than a stock LB Micra, throw-wise. But either of these can be modded for more throw.

I had an excellent LB Micra (clickie) with one of McGizmo's PR heads and reflectors that he had fit for it. It had excellent throw, a flawless Pelican Reflector beamspot, the stock LED produced bright, white light. I kick my tail for selling it.

Longbow offers an optional head that gives more throw, but the PR head beats it handily. However, I don't know if the PR head is watertight, someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

I've had 4 of the Pelican M6 LEDs go through my hands, I can't hold onto one, my friends scoop them up. I think they are outstanding and about the best bang for the buck in off-the-shelf LED lights. But, they are 2x123 and quite a bit larger than the LB Micra.

McGizmo has built some "McCapsules" that can replace the stock Micra innards and these really turn it into a "hotrod".

The Sandwich Shoppe (Dat2zip) carries the parts for you to make McModules in about any configuration you desire and you can replace the stock LED module in your PM6.

You can even purchase the PM6 Xenon and then build a McModule with a Lux III and swap them back and forth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Best of luck!

Britt

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

If you can afford to buy 123's online in quantity, I'll give another recommendation to a Pelican M6 for throw (incand, as I don't have a LED version).

Or G2 for decent throw but GREAT flood!

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, the Stock Pelican M6 LED is 41 lumens. That doesn't seem overly bright. Around $60

Looks like a LB Micro with PR head would run me $120 or so. 20 Lumens.

A Streamlight JR would be 30 Lumens. Around $30.

E2e with 60 Lumens and $100.

G2 - 65 Lumens for $35 or add $25 and get 120 lumens for 20 minutes. A high low would be nice on the 120 lumens.

What about the Blaster Jr? $60

Others?