Lithium powered Luxeon

G Pilot

Enlightened
I hooked a Luxeon to 2 lithium AAs. Is this enough power? I am not getting the spectacular brightness everyone describes.

This is my 1st Luxeon, so I don't quite know what battery combo to use.

Right now it is in a mag-lite sized 2 AA plastic flashlight.

What is the best battery or batteries to use?AA, C, D, Lithium AA, N cell, 12 volt 21/23, 3 volt 123
Thanks
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Unfortunately 2 AA lithiums is not enough. This only gives around 3 volts while the Luxeon requires 3.6 volts.

AA, C and D cells put out 1.5 volts. So three of these in series will put out 4.5 volts.

Then all you need is a resistor to drop the voltage by 0.9 volts and control the current to 350mA.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
three n cells would work but you would need to build a resistor spacer to hold down the current. Remember heat is really your enemy with the luxeons, not current. Lambda and electolumens run theres on 3 1.5 volt d cells at starting currents of 700-800ma with NO problems, but they are heat sinked very very well.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Thanks fellas, any more info would be helpful.

I tried the mod on Qickbeams site. It is the one with the Coleman light and an LS. There is not enough info and I ended up melting the tail cap switch.
Thanks

G Pilot

Enlightened
Not your fault at all Quickbeam. I had little guess work as to where the negative lead was soldered.

I guessed wrong.

I am going to try 3 N cells and a resistor.

The one I have came from Sean, it is mounted on aluminium and should be a good heat sink.
Thanks

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
G Pilot,
You could use a 3 cell light with rechargable batteries, giving you 3.6V. TX

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock:

Lithium Ion batteries are 3.6 V. They can't stand up to high drains of interesting incandescents. I don't know if the LX is within their current draw tolerance.

I know they're expensive, but a light bexel that just clips on to a small Nokia Cell phone battery might be the way to go.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not enough info?
confused.gif
Tailcap switch?
confused.gif

Nothing was done to the tailcap for that mod. That should have been obvious from the pics and the description. Sorry it didn't work out. You can always send me an e-mail with questions before you start next time.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've made a 2AA minimag mod using 2 AA lithiums and it is noticeably brighter than the Inova X5. Lithiums run at 1.7v each when they are new but that doesn't last long.

Are you using an optic collimator? If not that is why it doesn't seem bright. Luxeons aren't as bright without the collimator.

Hey, is that the one I sold you G Pilot?
tongue.gif

Do you have any LED lights to compare it to?

What do you think of the color/tint, is it white?
smile.gif

The one I sold you is actually one of the "whitest" ones I have had/seen.

Honestly, I was not real impressed either until I built the ZLT+ circuit. It is much brighter then! If you want you can use 3 normal alkaline AA's but use 4 or 5, 10 ohm resitors in parallel with the batteries and it will be noticeably brighter.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Has anyone's white Luxeon turned yellow yet? I've been using it with 3 N cells and 1 10ohm resistor. It went from a white blue 4 days ago to white with yellow around the edges.

Yes it the one I bought from you Sean. It was very white. Yes I am using the colminater. I don't know what I did to change the color like this.

What is going on? Am I over heating it? Is it going bad? Are the batteries effecting it?
Thanks
shocked.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't noticed them changing color before, does it go back to it's original color if you apply less power.

How bright is it with one 10 ohm resistor? It makes it brighter if you add more resistors (in parallel) & bring it to about 3 ohms.