Surefire Aviator

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Was looking at the Surefire Aviator. The low and high beam seem like something that I would find usefull. What I was wondering is if 50 lumens is bright enough for tactical use....blinding someone in my house. Anyone have this light that could give some comments?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is practically as bright as an E2 (60 lumens), and that light is definitely considered tactical. Of course you can always point to a brighter light and say that it would be more effective, but I think the Aviator is capable of tactical use.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam of the A2 is brighter than that of an E2e just not as wide. Very nice light one of my favorites.

M

MeridianTactical

Its my personal car light this week...

i love it, as the LED's re VERY handy!!! 50 Lumen can be a bit bright for a lot of tasks...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 10 lumens less than an E2e, is the A2 "brighter" due to its narrower focus? Comparing each beam, at the same time, which one is whiter? I'm assuming both lights have good cells. Thanks for the feedback.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
The same amout of light in a narrower beam will be brighter than a wide beam

I have an A2 and find the light excellent. The bright beam has a very nice spread, not too broad, not too narrow. The throw of the beam is excellent easily throwing 60 feet. The LED do not throw far but provide good area illumination.

Get the light. You will not regret the decision.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
At 10 lumens less than an E2e, is the A2 "brighter" due to its narrower focus? Comparing each beam, at the same time, which one is whiter? I'm assuming both lights have good cells. Thanks for the feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the A2 beam is narrower and the A2 is much whiter especially after batteries start to drain in the E2.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
How do you work the light? Switch between the high and low beam? Does it have momentary switching?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The A2 has a twist on or press on switch.

You can lock out by twisting the switch farther than off.

You can twist on the LEDs or if you keep twisting the LEDs and incandescent will turn on.

You can use momentary by pressing on the switch from the off position. A light press for low or press harder for high.

I prefer to carry mine with the incandescent locked out but I can press to light up the LEDs. You will probably need to use the A2 for awhile to determine which tail cap position you prefer.

Blue_Skies

Newly Enlightened
The A2 is a great light, but for a pure tactical (bedside) light I'd go something like a Surefire G2 with a P61 lamp. 120 lumens for 20 minutes and It'll only cost you about 50 bucks -the only drawback is the urge to play with it all the time. I like my A2, I'd just rather have something REALLY bright to blind a possible home intruder.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I just won the Aviator on eBay for 129.55 + 7.95 shipping. Seems like a good price. I'm going to buy the defender sometime soon.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the A2, you would probably be better off buying a more powerful light than the defender. Trust me, either light will be redundant if you own the A2 and the E2D because they share an almost similar spec. The fact that the crenellated bezel of the Defender tore 3 holes in my 5.11 tactical pants had it sitting at home and not won my liking as an EDC light.