SureFire E2D ad in Sept. issue of Flying magazine.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
There it is - an ad for the E2D. It's the same ad (Meet the R&D Boys) that you see in gun mags but in a flying magazine? WTF?

Seems like an ad for the A2 or U2 would be a little more appropriate, no? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
in case some one tries to highjack the cesna 152 i'm flying on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
thats funny. i agree the A2 would be a much much greater choice.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fly 3 times a week for last 25 years. I am not even going to think about having my E2D taken. It is very sharp and how SureFire shows how to use, It could be configured as an edged weapon. Stays in my pocket, hidden in the big city of Chicago though...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Re: SureFire E2D ad in Sept. issue of Flying magaz

Yeah, I've thought some more about this and the light could be construed by some as a weapon. I doubt very much that one could explain to an inquisitive TSA agent that it can be safely allowed onboard or isn't a designed impact weapon.

In a private aircraft setting I can't really think of a scenario where the E2D would save your bacon or why it's the ideal last ditch aircraft weapon. If you think you need an impact weapon I think a better one would be one that you can cause impact from afar.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

NikolaTesla, isn't that like carrying a concealed weapon? I'd be careful where it's pointed in your pocket :Ouch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Flashlightboy, I guess you could throw the E2D like a dagger/ninja star at the bad guy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Ouch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
I fly 3-5 times a week on a B777 and carry my E2D in my bag everytime.

No problem with the security and X-ray. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NikolaTesla said:
I fly 3 times a week for last 25 years. I am not even going to think about having my E2D taken. It is very sharp and how SureFire shows how to use, It could be configured as an edged weapon. Stays in my pocket, hidden in the big city of Chicago though...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was precisely this reason that I decided against carrying the E2D on my trip to Shanghai. You never know what would happen at the airport security.

E

Emilion

I travel from HK to China with E2D inside my belt pouch, nothing happened so far~

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened

i went all over asia with my L4 in my carry on.

btw, maxim, stuff, or fhm, had a little piece on surefire flashlights in their "tech gadgets" section about a year ago, i thought that was interesting.

Aloft

Enlightened

I fly for a living. . . unless you're trained specifically to use the E2D as a weapon, I don't think it would be very effective. Far better. . . a 2 (or more) D cell Maglite. Besides, if you bust it over someones head, just go to Home Depot (or Walmar or Target) and buy a new one for $15 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the TSA had an issue with an E2D. I haven't seen one up close, is it really that "sharp"? One of the pilots in my company did have an issue with TSA in Denver when they tried to confiscate his 2D Maglite. "You could use it as a club" they said to the uniformed pilot, reporting for work. DUH!!!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Aloft, that's hilarious, and very scary. The TSA wants to protect the pilot, from himself? Those people really don't have too many brains. Between them.

daloosh

stockae92

Enlightened

when you fly with your flashlights, do you leave the batteries inside or do you take them out?

lightemup

Flashaholic*

Well I've heard about new armoured toilet doors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif : perhaps the pilot would misuse his 2d for evil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif in trying to gain access to the first class loo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Seriously its just about denying weapons on board, silly as it seems to most in the context of a 2 cell maglite

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I gave my E2E & Defender-2 to a friend who'd shipped to Kuwait with the warning; not to trust any shadows but his own.

chiphead

Aloft

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:
when you fly with your flashlights, do you leave the batteries inside or do you take them out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding batteries. . . I'm currently using a SF L2 for preflight, batteries naturally in. But in my luggage (carry-on) I also have an ARC AA for use in the hotel (whether an emergency or just to find the toilet at night!), again with batteries in. And to top it all off, I carry a small plastic case with about 4-6 AA batteries, and 6-8 AAA batteries to power: Flashlights, MP3 Player, and my small Sangean DT-300VW Radio (useful to hear Coast to Coast AM, or local TV/Radio/Weather Band in an emergency). I also sometimes carry a small VHF/UHF Ham radio. I've never had a problem going thru security(either in uniform or civies), although all those batteries must show up on the X-Ray.

A quick note about the TSA. . . despite all the bad stories I've heard, by far the majority of the TSA screeners have been nothing but polite and professional when dealing with me, even if they are somewhat picky about what was in my bag and asked to search it. And though the batteries or radios were never an issue, they asked me about a change holder I had once!