Detailed laymens Glowsheet report

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have appreciated other Glowsheet reports, and wanted to share my experiences with other CPFers. This is glowsheeting from www.extremeglow.com

Charging the sheet.
I found that the most effective method was, obviously, exposing to direct sunlight. Next most effective was a halogen floor lamp like almost everyone has in their house. Even in a lit room the sheet would glow brightly from a halogen charge. I then tested it with lights I could carry, as that is the most practical. Lights used were:

Princeton Tech Photon
Pelican L1 LED
Surefire E1 at 15 lumens
Surefire 8X at 110 lumens

The photon would charge the sheeting, but its lack of focus wouldn't let it really get much intensity, but it worked. The Pelican L1 charged very well, but it worked best when less than 1" from the sheet. The E1 gave about the same result but chaged a larger diameter. The 8X is perfect for charging glowsheet because of the focused beam. Even with a recent charge of light the 8X would bring out even more light. One thing I discovered, oddly, was that placing the bezel on the sheet and giving a 10-20 second charge, the sheet seemed to be charged an equal amount between the three lights used that had a bezel. They also seemed to have about the same duration of charge as well. I noticed no difference between charging the sheet with a flashlight for 5-10-30 seconds and 1 minute. It seemed to charge all it could within 5-10 seconds. A high intensity charge "bleeds off" within a few seconds and seems to degrade at a consistent rate after that. I get about 2-3 hours of good glow, after that it degrades but is still visible. In zero light conditions, you would probably be able to see a faint glow after 6-8 hours or more. These are just my observations.

Applications

At first for a few days I just experimented with a 12"X8" sheet. Seeing what charged best and other things. After that I began to use the sheeting for some pratical applications. I marked my doors at 12" (in case of fire) and at doorknob height. Then all my light switches,and just for fun on two of my ceiling fans. I wrapped the bezels of each of my lights once with glowsheet about one-half inch wide. I keep a whole bunch of stuff on my nightstand, so I marked most of those things with left overs from earlier cuttings. My scanner (I live in Tornado Alley and usually the scanner is the only way to get info when the power goes out), my cell phone, even my stainless steel coffee mug with an arrow pointing which way the lid was. Other apps include, knives, multi tools, the butt of my Glock 19, zippers on my sleeping bag and my tent. These seem like simple things, but in the dark, they are more handy than I would have believed. A good shot with the 8X for a few seconds before bed and everything glows till morning. I picked up a wierd habit from my girlfriend years ago, she keeps the bathroom totally dark for her morning shower. I am not a morning person and this really helps me not to get blinded first thing after sleeping. I took a little glowsheet and put it right by her make up lights and put some on the step into the shower. The make up light is so strong it keeps the glowsheet so charged it glows just bright enough to see your way around, and the piece on the step keeps you from banging a toe on it. She was very impressed by this.

A few conclusions.

If you are a member of CPF you have to get some of this stuff.

If you have children, you have to get some of this stuff, they will mess with it for hours.

This is not good to read by, even charged, green is hard to read by, even good chem-sticks.

It is best used for marking things. The bigger the piece the better it holds the light and longer the duration of charge.

Cut it in arrows or pyramid shapes to point to things, like light switches or the way out of a room.

A dime size charged piece of glowsheet is much brighter than a traser ring or a Luminox watch.

I highly reccomend this stuff, it is fun, and it is very practical.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review....
cool.gif

I've done some similar things, and also recommend at a measly 6-$7. per linear foot, the blue sheeting from www.glowstickfactory.com

The blue stuff isn't as bright as the green at first, and takes at least 30-45 seconds to properly charge, but I've found that it glows about 40% longer.

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
I need your advice. At our church we will be doing a musical soon and the orchestra needs to be able to see the baton when the house lights are down. We have one of the lighted batons, but they are really thick. I've been wondering if some of the new glow paint (about half an ounce) or some of the new glow sheeting (about 1/2" x 14")wrapped around a normal baton would do the job. The regular baton is roughly 1/8" x 14" (fiberglass rod). I've even wondered about getting some glow powed and using clear fingernail polish and sprinkling the powder on it before it drys. Then another coat to protect it some.
confused.gif

I appreciate any help.
Jim

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
What might work nicely, is to have a couple of small (18")? blacklights discreetly placed, and to have them turn on when the orchestra starts playing. This would work if the baton(s) were simply painted with easily available invisible (in regular light) phosphorescent coating.
I think it might look pretty nice, without being too gaudy...

-That's one idea at least.-mebbe some creative soul on this board has somethin' even more imaginative to suggest...

bigcozy

Enlightened
The glowsheet would work if properly charged. One problem with glowsheet on round objects like a baton, is they tend to charge only on one side, the side that is facing the light. A good idea would be to hit it with a flashlight or have a regular light close to "bathe" it in. Halogen is best.

Gotta tell you a quick black light story, and something to think about. One night I was at this bar that had black lights all over the place. One of my friends had a false tooth in front of his mouth from a fight he had years ago. Well you know how your teeth will shine in black light? They were shining but the false tooth looked liked a car headlight it was so bright. He looked at us and smiled, it was like four hours before we could stand up again, hardest I have ever laughed in my life.

Rev. Jim, drop me a line and I will send you some to experiment with.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr.glow:
Very nice review....
cool.gif

I've done some similar things, and also recommend at a measly 6-$7. per linear foot, the blue sheeting from www.glowstickfactory.com

The blue stuff isn't as bright as the green at first, and takes at least 30-45 seconds to properly charge, but I've found that it glows about 40% longer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pity there is a $50 minimum from www.glowstickfactory.com. The blue glow film sounds interesting, just because it is different. But I surely don't know what I'd do with 10 sq. feet of the stuff; not that I'd spend $50 on it. $50 is enough to buy all or part of a very nice flashlight!

bigcozy

Enlightened
I got my smaller sheet in trade for a traser from a fellow CPFer, but I am going to buy some more. My brother and I are going to split it cost wise. Odds are, you could sell this off in the Buy/Trade forum here and get lots of takers. Everbody is looking for smaller quantities. If anybody wants to split up an order let me know. I don't want to split in small sections, somebody would need to come up with half or something on those lines.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RevJim:
I need your advice. At our church we will be doing a musical soon and the orchestra needs to be able to see the baton when the house lights are down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would seriously consider building a little LED baton. A stiff piece of clear, rigid plastic tubing (1/4" would be great) with a colored LED at one end would stand out splendidly. Plus, it has the added feature of being much more complicated to build than a "glow" wand.

The conductor could even point the baton at individual orchestra members when it's their turn to play!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:

Pity there is a $50 minimum from www.glowstickfactory.com. The blue glow film sounds interesting, just because it is different. But I surely don't know what I'd do with 10 sq. feet of the stuff; not that I'd spend $50 on it. $50 is enough to buy all or part of a very nice flashlight!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, sorry about that,-they had no minimum last time (Sept-01)
frown.gif

They must've changed policy recently....drat!

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
Doug, That might work. I'd sure have to be careful about what I was wearing, since the light would probably hit me, too. Ninja?
grin.gif
Or maybe all black (with no lint). I may play with this some.
Thanks,
Jim

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>darell wrote:The conductor could even point the baton at individual orchestra members when it's their turn to play!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> While we're making it more complicated, why not integrate a laser to use so there can be no doubt who should be playing? That would be fun!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Now, to be somewhat on topic, I think I'll try the glow sheet first. Less potential for Murphy's Law demonstration.