Can any Surefires be adapted to use aa batteries?

Raven

Enlightened
Can any Surefires be adapted to use aa batteries?

Specifically, those with Lux heads.

Raven

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Sure, but you have to have the right size/length body or some kind of adapter to do it. Something like the UBH or similar. Virtually all of the SF Lux heads *could* use AA batteries, however performance may be decreased with Alkaline cells. You also need to take into consideration what kind of electronics each head uses. ie:buck, boost, or buck/boost.

akula88

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
slick228 said:
Raven,

Yes, you can run an E1 lamp assembly (MN01) with three AA batteries. The trick now is to find a battery tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say THREE AA -- 4.5volts? Wouldn't that flash the MN01 bulb? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have an E1e (MN01) head on a Vital Gear 2xAA tube running with Energizer NiMH-AA.

I also run the KL1 using the VG-2AA body.
I believe any regulated LS head with Badboy-regulating circuit could run under 2xAA (3-volts).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Can any Surefires be adapted to use aa batteri

There are various possibilities considering the different production and custom bodies for the heads ...

if you just want to add a battery extender to run a SF head (KL1 or underdriven KL4) on an E2e, you can use the DSpeck extender:

modular_var2.jpg

You can have a look at this thread for E-Series modularity.

bernhard

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened

I'm running my L5 on 3AA's right now. To my L5 I've added a Surefire A19 body adapter + a SF A14 body adapter. This makes the L5 long enough for 3AA's. Just adding the A19 gives you 2AA. Adding a second A14 behind the A19 &A14 gives you 4AA. This makes a very large and $$$ 4AA light, but it's cool to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You may not get full brightness on 2AA depending on the individual led. I've also ran it some on 3AAA's. I used 2 SF A19's and a battery sleeve I made from some 1/2" (inside diameter) pvc pipe cut to the length of 3AAA batteries. The surefire KL1 works well on 2AA using a dspeck UBH body.

Raven

Enlightened

I have an old 9P. My hope was to put an led head on it, and see if two aa batteries inside a foam tube, would do the trick. I'd accept less power, but I don't want to fry the bulb, which I don't think is possible with just two aa batteries.

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened

Your 9P would run ok on 2AA with a SF KL3 1 watt led head. If I remember correctly,that would give about 20 lumens of light for about 1.5 hrs,followed by a long "moon mode" of dim but useful light. Tactical Warehouse has KL3 for $62. You may be able to find a used one cheaper. Remember, the KL3 can safley run on up to 9 volts, so it will also run on 3x123a giving full brightness for about 7 hrs. I don't think the 5-watt KL5 head is available separately yet, but you may be able to find a used L5 for sale here in the forums. You can make your 9P a 3AA by adding a SF A14. These are available at LPS Tactical aka Lagger-Pro for ,I think, $17 each.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

running a KL4 on a 2AA Vital Gear battery tube from Tadgear.com. Works with a KL1 also.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I use 9P's with battery extensions to run the KL3, KL5, P60 and N4.

The 9P body comes in two different lengths. The latest and most common 9P body is longer than a few of the old round body 9P's. Most of the old round body 9P's are also long.

The advantage of the short body 9P, is that you can use two A14 battery extensions for a 4 AA battery flashlight, instead of three A19's, with the long body 9P. Two A14's are longer than three A19's, by exactly the difference between the short and long bodied 9P's lengths. Fewer extensions means less resistance. I have two of the short bodied 9P's, with the P60 and N4 lamp assemblies, running on 4 AA NiMH batteries.

I also have two long bodied 9P's with three A19 battery extensions, running KL3's, on 4 AA NiMH batteries. Occasionally, I put the KL5 on one, in place of a KL3. The KL3's and KL5's regulators, make up for the added resistance of three A19's, and run just as bright as when used with 123A lithiums.

The KL3 is designed for 6-9 volts. I have used six A19's on a long bodied 9P, for a 6 AA NiMH battery flashlight, with the KL3. It's very long though. Don't run the KL5 on 9 volts, as it is designed for 6 volts only.

oldgrandpajack

PS: You can use a sheet of paper from your printer, rolled around the AA batteries, to keep them lined up straight and rattle free.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The KL1 on a 2AA battery tube is a great emergency flashlight. It will run on three 123A lithiums or two AA alkaline, NiCd and NiMH batteries.

In an emergency situation, you may not be able to find 123A's, or be able to recharge your NiCd and NiMH batteries. Then you fall back on the common AA alkalines.

oldgrandpajack

slick228

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
akula88 said:
[ QUOTE ]
slick228 said:
Raven,

Yes, you can run an E1 lamp assembly (MN01) with three AA batteries. The trick now is to find a battery tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say THREE AA -- 4.5volts? Wouldn't that flash the MN01 bulb? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have an E1e (MN01) head on a Vital Gear 2xAA tube running with Energizer NiMH-AA.

I also run the KL1 using the VG-2AA body.
I believe any regulated LS head with Badboy-regulating circuit could run under 2xAA (3-volts).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops! For some reason, I thought it was three AAA but I think you right, it's two. The numbers add up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Latest posts