"Fatboy" $18.00 1W Luxeon on Ebay

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Fatboy\" $18.00 1W Luxeon on Ebay

In my Luxeon lust I hastily bid on a flashlight like the one on Ebay auction #5116729429, and won. After I placed my bid, did I realize the size of this single 123 cell powered light. It's about 4" (101mm) long x 1.25" dia.

Well, I won the auction (as the solo bidder) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif , and 11 days later it's on my doorstep. They charged me a whopping $3.00 (U.S.)-for delivery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Brandname is Powerline -this model is called the Explorer.

Not expecting much, I slipped a battery into the light and was surprised when I pressed the ON tail button. Eminating from it's mineral crystal lens was a very bright and very white beam -almost identical to my Streamlight Jr. LED, except that "fatboy" is about 20% brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
BTW-booster circuit included, the light draws 662mA from a fairly new #123 cell.

I could not guarantee that the next identical light would be a Luxeon lottery winner, but I sure did win this time.

My only criticism of the light is it "fat-***" diameter..-kinda large for a 123 cell light. The light has a good feel to it though, and a nice removable belt clip and a clickie tailbutton switch-no momentary. It also works well running on two 1/5A NimH cells too.
-A real "sleeper" of a bargain in a flashlight.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I guess I lucked out on this auction.

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
Re: \"Fatboy\" 1W Luxeon on Ebay

Some 123 x 1 LED flashlights are made fatter, so that they can have another model for AAA x 3 using the same head.

Similarly, I saw a AA x 2 flashlight has larger diameter than it need. I found another model from the same brand using 123 x 1 has the same diameter.

Manufacturers prefer to use common parts to reduce cost and item to stock.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

very nice light, it have a optict or reflector? can you do some beam comparison? you think is more or less brighter than my "goldengadgets s1801"?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
davidefromitaly said:
very nice light, it have a optict or reflector? can you do some beam comparison? you think is more or less brighter than my "goldengadgets s1801"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what the S1801 is, but I don't have one and haven't seen it's output.

The Powerstream "Fatboy", as I call it, has an NX-05 optic..-exactly like the Streamlight Jr. and with a very Fraen optics shaped beam. Not a lot of side-spill. As said before, the output is VERY WHITE in color.

-Great for $21.00 total -delivered on my doorstep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened

I bet I know what light you're talking about. Made by a german company, always available on ebay.de and a famous electronics discounter (conrad.de). (around 25-30 Euro).
company homepage

This light has appeared on cpf from time to time. Not too much interest though, possibly because of the size. Saw one on the german get-together and wasn't too impressed. Well, several real high-tech lights there, so probably it wasn't a fair contest.
The company claims 5 hours runtime form a single cr123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif and a constant current driver. At least it has enough mass for heatsinking and without he ugly clip it doesn't look too bad.

Chrisse

EDIT: just checked the auction #, same light but why should they take it to Honkong from germany? So probably IVT-Hirschau does not make this light but is only a reseller.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bingo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif -That's it.

It does look better without the clip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said:
...snip.. Made by a german company ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrisse - where do you get such strange ideas from ?

Klaus

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe from the company website? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

This size issue is something I have pondered in the past. Do you suppose that the general consumer considers a light to be more "sturdy" and "dependable" when it is thicker, i.e. fills the form factor normally associated with a strong industrial light? Thoogh I would tend to agree to the above post about manufacturer's preference, I have often wondered if some lights are made "bigger" to appease consumer perception.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd agree with webley. The consumer is the first priority in the design of the light. Fat lights are considered strong lights and slim lights look like they would bend snap easier. Another consumer seller is to put more LED emitters on a light. More means better...right? A 12 LED light must me better than a single 1, 3 or 5-watt Luxeon light...right? Nope...not true. But to the average consumer more emitters automatically mean better.

Major light manufacturers make color of lights, size, shape and operation are all made to please the average consumer and the price range to please the stockholder of the companies. General function of the light is secondary.

Fat lights would sell more than thin lights.