lighting for a tiny video camera

bionicDan

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new Sony DSC-T1 a tiny, palm-sized video camera. It takes great quality video (640x480 resolution, 30fps, decent audio), but it's terrible in the dark.

Anyway, I want to get a small light (maybe a keychain kind that would fit in the camera's little sleeve that could light a few feet in front of the camera for indoor shooting. Any ideas??

I was looking at the Inova Microlight - I have an X5 and trust Inova's engineering, but it seems too focused...

dan
dsc-t1.jpg

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a 1W Low dome with no optics on it. That should work great. Beat of all at lower power (150mA) you would not beed heatsinking, but if you needed more light you could push it up a notch.

Jeff

bionicDan

Newly Enlightened
thanks, Jeff. sounds like a 1W Low dome may be the way to go.

can anyone recommend anything off-the-shelf, w/o optics? otherwise, this will be my first foray into building my own units. I'm excited to get my feet wet and I've worked with LEDs before, but I'm gonna need a primer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be happy to help you out in building this. most important to consider is size and shape. this will determine what kind of batteries to use.
Jeff

for size check, this light uses a cell phone Li-ION battery that is only about 4mm thick and is about 600mAh.
Flat flood

bionicDan

Newly Enlightened
That is beautiful work! I've actually got two 500 mAh, 3.6 v cell phone batteries from a Motorola V60 lying around. maybe those could get me started. With something like what you've built, i could totally slip that inside my case.

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
I have a nice video camera and it'd be nice to have a 1 or 3W Luxeon LED to replace a halogen bulb that could be run from a NiCad pack.

As it is, the halogen runs about 15 minutes and takes 6 hours to recharge. It'd be nicer to have a runtime that is longer than 15 minutes.