One more vexing computer problem...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The local Guru in the Houston Comical Newspaper said AVG anti virus in it's free version was enough for most people.

So a couple or three weeks ago, I downloaded AVG.

It found stuff. The 'puter has been acting pretty good overall. Or at least not driving me batty!

One thing remains an issue.

We get an error popup that says an .exe file in C:\SystemVolumeInformation\_restore..... is infected.

I can't find that folder, filename or anything remotely like it suggests on this machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Aside from having to close the error window pretty often, the 'puter is acting pretty good overall.

What do I do now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like your computer made a System Restore backup point whilst you had the virus. It's probably backed up the virus too (mine did the same a few weeks ago). You have to disable System Restore, run AVG to check for the virus, then enable System Restore to get the function back. The unfortunate side effect of this is that you will lose all System Restore points up till the moment you disable it. Re-enabling it will cause your computer to make System Restore backups as usual.

Right click 'My Computer', go to 'Properties', 'System Restore' then click the checkbox for 'Turn off System Restore for all drives', click 'Apply' then 'OK'.

Restart your PC.

Run AVG to check for virii and kill any you find.

Right click 'My Computer', go to 'Properties', 'System Restore' then UNCLICK the checkbox for 'Turn off System Restore for all drives', click 'Apply' then 'OK'.

Run AVG and check again for virii. Should be clean.

Restart your PC and you should be good to go.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Bombastic is correct. That will get rid of that restore point. I tried AVG, but found Avast to be a much superior product. Avast has multiple weekly updates to it's virus definition files. Avast also has engine and program updates. Unlike AVG. Avast has Standard Shield which monitors file activity in real time...Mail protection scanner...Peer to Peer scanner....Messenger Program Scanner...and Outlook module...It has auto update on by default. All completely free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://www.avast.com

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY! Thanks! I have the same error on mine actually. Gets me pissed cause I will sit at the Computer for hours, never see that thing pop up, come back from an hour off, and its there. Does that EVERY time I leave for more than a half hour, and NEVER when I am at the computer. Weird.
Cameron

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Hmmm...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm in restore turned off mode right now. I updated AVG before restarting the 'puter.

It has now ran a full search with AVG and it found nothing.

I guess I'll do spybot and maybe adaware before going much farther....

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be OK to reactivate the restore function at this point. You might want to get one of the active anti-spyware programs running on your computer (rather than one you have to run manually). SpywareBlaster is an option.

Negeltu

Enlightened
SpywareBlaster is great... Might try Spyware Guard. It doesn't really have consistent updates but it does have a type of heuristics when scanning for spyware. it will run in your tray and scan.

Latest posts