****s Sporting Goods now carries CMG Infinity...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I believe that is the older style Infinity light. ****s has the newer models. Bright Guy has them for 17.99. Thats pretty much what I've been finding them for after doing a search on the net. Some people are still selling off the old stock for 12 bucks or so. They are 19.99 at ****s and you don't have to pay shipping.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ya know...I didn't even know he carried CMG's
tongue.gif
. Wouldn't it still be the same price for me to buy it here at ****s though. I think TTS has $8 shipping, so it still would be around $20.

Eric

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm going to bite. I guess I haven't been paying attention enough and didn't realize there was a new Infinity released, so hopefully I'm not asking for rehashed information but what is the differences between the new and old? Is the new one brighter?

TTS's shipping at least for the Arc LE was four dollars and change. He's seems to carry lights he doesn't advertise on his web site such as the Arc products.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It supposedly has better anodising, pocket clip, and lanyard included. Im not sure about overall brightness or beam quality compared to the older models. Mabye someone else knows. Or, I may just get one and find out.

Eric

Evan

Enlightened
I paid $19.95 for a white infinity at REI a month+ ago and was a little dissapointed. I bought three more from TTS for $11.99 just 2 weeks ago. I got a white in a blue case and a blue-green equal to the brightness of the one from REI, and a green one in a black case that is really dim. I might have returned them, but the postage to send them back would cut my gain by returning them to about $10 each.

The infinity is OK at $10. If CMG wants me to spend any more on infinities, they've got to produce a new model, clearly state brightness in millicandellas like Arc does, and make sure the new model can not be mistaken for the old dim model; maybe not call it "infinity". The body is good, it's just the electronics or LED quality hasn't kept up with improving technology. The brightest seem about 1/5 the power of an Arc-AAA.

That said, tripple aught has them for $10.99 and the "gen2" for $16.99. The "gen2" is available in the blue case color I got for $11.99 from TTS. So, was the blue case available in the old infinity, or is the new infinity just not noticeably brighter? Maybe all the infinities I have are "gen2" except the noticeably dimmer green one. They all came in the same packaging with a glow-in-the-dark lanyard and clip.

Anybody know a mod to put some decent electronics in an infinity? I suspect the "potted" head will make it tough to rework.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan:
If CMG wants me to spend any more on infinities, they've got to produce a new model, clearly state brightness in millicandellas like Arc does, and make sure the new model can not be mistaken for the old dim model; maybe not call it "infinity".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new model isn't brighter, nor is there such a claim. The Infinity is designed the way it is very deliberately. It's designed to run for a long period of time while delivering sufficient light, on a single AA cell.

CMG is the one that introduced the single cell solidly constructed LED light to the market. Until then, everyone was packing at least three cells into their lights, which made them bulky or long enough to use as a baseball bat. Recognizing the reduced use time in the use of a single cell, they designed it to compensate. They still bill it as a 40 hour light.

Comparing it to an ARC AAA, beyond the single cell step-up concept, they don't have the same design objectives. ARC designed a light that would use a single easily obtained cell, and still provide a bright light for a tolerable length of time. It's designed for 5 hours use compared to the Infinity's 40 hours.

My first Infinity hangs on a hook near the lamp in my den. I use it as a night light and spent battery exhauster. A cell not good for much of anything else provides a full night of light, and sometimes two. One of my other Infinity sits on my nightstand. It has a lithium AA cell and provides the ideal amount of light when I awaken in the middle of the night. It's cell will probably need changed in a few years. I keep an ARC LE in my pocket, and use it as needed. Its cell will probably need replaced next week or next month, depending on usage.

The ARC AAA and the Infinity are both superbly engineered, and both excell in their purposes. But, they're each unique in purpose.

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
TTS's shipping at least for the Arc LE was four dollars and change. He's seems to carry lights he doesn't advertise on his web site such as the Arc products.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
He has the Arcs on his web site now at http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Search.bok?category=Led+Lights . It sure makes me tempted to try one of the turquoise lights. I now have white. Are these useful on a day to day basis?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:

My first Infinity hangs on a hook near the lamp in my den. I use it as a night light and spent battery exhauster
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first Infinity, a red LED version (and the brightest red one I've seen) lives at my bedside, and is used nighly. Right now, I'm using it to eliminate those expensive lithium AAs that "died" in my old camera last year, and I get a few weeks of usage per cell in the Infinity. Once they're gone, I'll start on the half-dead alkaline AAs that other flashlights regularly ralf up.

A yellow Infinity hangs from a map pin on my flashlight shelf just to the left of my computer, ready to pull down and throw around my neck when Seismic Sam dumps hot pipe ashes in his favorite chair.

Evan

Enlightened
So the red and yellow infinities are significantly brighter than the white, bluegreen(aqua) and green?

I still want an aluminum light that uses one AA and gives a selectable infinity-style 40 hr mode and Arc-style 5 hour mode, or Arc-style brightness for 12 hours. Niether CMG nor Arc are there yet.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old infinity: Powder coated aluminum
New Infinity: Anodized aluminum - 3 colors (silver, black, blue)

Both come with lanyard and clip. Old model lanyard is green with GID stripes. New model lanyard is black with GID stripes.

Under the head the + contact is different - I believe it was silver in the old model and is black in the new model.

No difference in brightness - same circuitry.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone who has a new one comment on the finish? The older one I have is no more than simply painted black (OK powder coated, whatever). Unless they've made a substantial improvement in their finish, I wouldn't be impressed.

Also, the 40 hr. runtime is overkill. I think most people would rather see an Arc like brightness for 12-13 hours, plus a moon mode. You would still get around 25 hours altogether. I hope Peter gets around to it someday.