5*1W mag 3D mod

waion

Newly Enlightened
I've just finished the mod of my mag 3D with 5 PX1L emitters and 17mm reflector:

P1010066.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P10100680.jpg

The heat sink combo is bought from Kiu (CPFer) and I used a this modded PR bulb head for connection:
P1010069.jpg

The beam is surprisingly well focused and the overall brightness is better than my TL-3 5W. Next time I'm going to do a 5*3W when there's cheap 3w emitters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow
that looks nice

um, the second pic from the last does not show /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

waion

Newly Enlightened
Hik, kevinL, I'm using three D alkaline in DD. I'm sure that the brightness could be improved with NiMH, which I have on two on my hand.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the redundant connection to make a complete circle of blue wire... neat-o... I recommend upgrading to using a driver for constant brightness... maybe the fatman.. don't know what the max voltage is on that driver.

-awr

zapper

Enlightened
Nice mod there Wiaon! Congradulations!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Do you know how much current they are drawing? If it's not too much current (<600 mA) you can mod the light juuuust a little more. Remove the spring from the tailcap. Clean up the inside of the tailcap to get bare aluminum on the bottom. Make a shorter spring that sits in the bottom and allows 4 C cells to fit. They will definitely increase the current and brightness. Just to be on the safe side put some temporary resistance in line during initial current readings so you don't burn anything up. I know I like mine having the ability to run either 3D or 4C !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif