Can I keep extra batteries in the car?

bucken

Enlightened
Would appreciate some advice regarding keeping extra batteries (or flashlight, for that matter) in a car. I would think that the constant exposure to both heat and cold extremes is probably not good for the batteries, but just how bad is it? I used to keep a spare set of rechargeable digital camera batteries in the car until I noticed that they seemed to loose their charge a LOT faster than sets I kept in the house or office.

Am particularly interested in the Surefire line, as they seem to have the least useable amount of running time, even with fresh batteries (don't take me wrong, I love their lights, but just want to be sure that I actually still have light if/when needed).

How does everyone else deal with this problem OTHER than always keeping a light on their person? (And yes, I do keep a Photon 3 on the keychain, but am eagerly looking forward to the LE Arc AAA.) Thanks.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I sometimes keep a pair of batteries in the car (for my digital camera). I don't notice too much of a drain...they're AA nimh.

Just be sure to keep them low (on the floor of the car). I store mine under the front seat. I've noticed that, even on hot days, under the seat doesn't get as hot as the rest of the car. In fact, it's usually still cool down there...

Hope this helps.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Since you're particularly interested in the SureFire lights, I'm going to assume that you're talking about the non-rechargeables, since you'd probably keep your car flashlight in the car charger. (Call me silly, but it's what I do.)

SureFire lights run on nice, expensive Lithium cells. One of the nice things about the Lithium cells is their supreme resistance to temperature extremes while keeping their energy levels high. A SureFire is probably one of the best choices for a glovebox light for this very reason.

Another option, if the SF provides more light than necessary, or less runtime than necessary, is to stick a AA-powered light in the glovebox, and use Li AAs in it.

bucken

Enlightened
Thanks for the advise. I guess I never realized that lithiums were more impervious to heat and cold.

I'll also have to see if I can find a comfy home for one somewhere under the seat, just have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the power seat stuff.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bucken:
Thanks for the advise. I guess I never realized that lithiums were more impervious to heat and cold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually you don't have to worry about the cold. You do your batteries a favour storing them as cold as possible (ok, above the electrolyte's freezing point).

Anyway, for an application like yours, lithium cells are unbeatable