Anyone EDC a monocular?

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about carrying a small 6X or 7X monocular from one of the quality optics makers like Pentax or Zeiss. They make them small and handy to easily fit in a pocket or pouch.

I can think of good uses for these. Like looking at street signs from a car (while stopped obviously). Catching license plates of hit and run, or just for nice views of landscape.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bring up a good point. I have one that I take hiking. Probably not great quality, it was a $20 CCrane special. However, why not put it in the glove box instead of sitting on the shelf when not hiking?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife does. She is an avid birdwatcher and doesn't have room in her purse for a small set of binoculars (carries them in her car), so I bought her a small monocular for her purse.

-Keith

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've kept an 8x Simmons monocular in my car for years. It's always there when I need it for hikes, sports events, and spotting Smokey the Bear on the highway.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
I carry a Mono similar to the County Comm 10 X 21 ($12). Works fine into deep twilight, folded flat for carrying it doesn't feel lumpy in my pocket. Carried an Episcope for a long while but it took too long to shift lenses around. Car glove boxes have $20.00 8X21 roof prism binos. Another bino is adjusted to focus at 12ft, use it to read the tiny numbers in the score boxes during games, makes my 27in TV look like an twelve foot projection set.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've had a few different brands.
if cost is no concern then get ziess. i tried their 10x25 but i currently EDC an old-style Classic 6x20 (no longer made) because it's sooo small.
they make a 5x10 for under $90 but i find it too long and too dark.
cheap monos are a better deal than cheap binox because there isn't two tubes to align. i've tried ones as cheap as $10 and they are very usable.

Latest posts