Green Laser -

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, you lucked out-

Shining a laser at any aircraft is a felony in several states, at least, and may be illegal on a federal basis, especially after September 11; Shining one at a police helicopter (which is what I'd bet is what you lit up) is really asking for trouble.

I know of a couple of people who were arrested for that in Arizona, and the fine was "extensive".

Plus, MY wife would have killed me :)

G Pilot

Enlightened
I know you don't want to hear a lecture, but having over 1200 hours I think I should say that your curiosity could have ended worse than it did.

Be smart, be safe.
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what's the deal with these laser pointers? I've seen some remarks about them, but not too much. I did manage to stop a cop with a Surge at 150 ft, but a helicopter at a mile? Now I'm salivating.

Please someone tell me they're something I don't need or want!

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lux Luthor:

Please someone tell me they're something I don't need or want!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They certainly aren't anything you need. Can't comment on that last part... but YOU know you want one! Who wouldn't?

Newly Enlightened
Hey Dude that's an awesome story!

I wonder how big the diameter of the beam is at one mile away --- maybe it's large enough to light up the entire cockpit of the chopper???

At least it wasn't bright enough to crash the thing!!!!

James

D

**DONOTDELETE**

In California, discharging a laser at any aircraft is equivalent to discharging a firearm at it---a felony, 1 California Criminal Law (3d) I.C.5.b.(4)[§51].

Darell

Flashaholic
The rule of thumb that I use is:

Don't point the damn thing in ANY direction where there may be people. Same rule I use for firearms. And darts.

All bets are off in a genuine emergency though.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
...for firearms. And darts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh... *DARTS*. I thought you'd said "farts".

shocked.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Alchemist

Newly Enlightened
My new rule of thumb is.
Never ever ever post your wrong-doings on a bulletin board that thousands of people read
shocked.gif

Alan.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
Oh... *DARTS*. I thought you'd said "farts".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to be safe, I'm adding that to my rules list right now...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alchemist:
My new rule of thumb is.
Never ever ever post your wrong-doings on a bulletin board that thousands of people read
shocked.gif

Alan.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's too late for this. By now, pretty much everyone here knows you shot at a you-know-what with a green you-know-what.
grin.gif

I've fired mine at very distant lights (75-150 miles away) but nothing closer than that. At that range, I'd be surprised if they even noticed the faint green sparkle drowning in the many megawatts of city lights. I'd be surprised if I even connected with the target at that distance.
blush.gif

For terrestrial targets, I've fired it at another city on an island about 20-30 miles away, and I'll frequently shoot it at any light colored building face with no windows on it, and at other inanimate targets away from people. That doesn't count the disco ball I illuminated once.
smile.gif

Oh, and I did shoot it at a UFO last year. As soon as I hit it, the UFO instantly stopped dead in space, then took off in a new direction a short time later, with none of the inertial delays found in helicopters or other known flying machines.
shocked.gif

As for actually using green laser pointers in a productive manner as they were designed for, I've used mine to attract people's attention by shining it at a wall in front of them, and when the Fema inspectors were here, I used it to point out things like broken toilets, leaky pipes, cracks in ceilings, and other structural damage resulting from an earthquake.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
As for actually using green laser pointers in a productive manner as they were designed for<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now wait just a second. There is a *productive* use for these things? I'm not sure I even want to hear about them...

That would be like wasting your flashlight by using it to find your way in the dark. Or like using a gun to shoot things. What's the point of doing the mundane when you can have so much OTHER fun with this stuff?

grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I often use my green laser to freeze sodium atoms. If you shine it at ordinary table salt, the sodium atoms freeze on the spot, and the chlorine atoms get upset and just leave in a big, angry cloud of green gas.

Darell

Flashaholic
Crap. I was headed to bed, but this I gotta try. Better not be pulling my leg, or there'll be a lot of foaming slugs on my back patio in the morning...

(** edit ** - lots of unhappy slugs. Your laser must be better than mine. Or you use better table salt)

Darell

Flashaholic
Yikes. My wife thought my (uh... our) green laser was REALLY neat. Right up until a minute ago when she asked me how much I paid for it...

Dang. Here I thought it was CHEAP now. Comparing it to how much they cost a few months ago didn't impress her much.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I recently got a spam type mailing advertising green lasers for $80 in single unit quantities, $75 for 10. If I haven't dumped the system garbage can yet, I'll see if I can find that.