Inova X03 vs Surefire L4/L5

Toecutter

Newly Enlightened
Anyone compare the new Inova lights and their Surefire counterparts?

X03 claims 82 Lumens, is this for real?

jbroker83

Enlightened
I'm not an expert on Lumens, and I don't have a light meter. But my eyes don't lie, and they tell me that the XO3 has a much tighter and brighter hotspot. The beam is much more focused and delivers nice throw. My L4 puts out a nice flood/type output of light, but the XO-3 will def. out-throw it. As for lumens...I'm not sure, but it's brighter than the L4 cause of the tight beam.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but your eyes CAN lie. My SL Jr Luxeon looks brighter to me than my Inova XO, but my lux-meter says the XO is brighter in the center.

Now, which beam is nicer, that's up to you. The brightness is not.

jbroker83

Enlightened
The beam may not be nicer. Like someone else has written, it's really a matter of a person being a "throw" guy vs. a "spill" guy. I prefer both depending on what situation I'm in. I'll use my l4 for flood and the XO3 for throw. Either way, I'm very happy that I have both.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an Inova XO but I have seen my friend's XO. I will base my judgement from what I have seen.

Another friend of mine has a Surefire L4 and I an L5 equivalent (M2 + KL5 head) which I will just refer to as L5 for short. The Inova is bright for what it is, no doubt about that. Because of the optic built on the front, the XO projected the beam further. The L4 is more of a flood light and provides very good side-spill. I would be hard pressed to choose which is better. Like what jbroker83 said, it depends on whether you are a "throw" guy or a "spill" guy.

My L5 throws better than the L4, not because it is brighter but because the reflector helps to project the beam further. When comparing the L5 to the XO, one can see that the L5 is brighter, throws well, and has a decent flood. But I would say it is not fair to compare the L5 to the XO as the L5 is a differenct category of light althogether. The L5 is bigger and is not so pocket friendly compared to the XO.

Whether your choice be the XO, L4, or L5, you would never be wrong. You are definitely going to love any of these lights.

jbroker83

Enlightened
After some major fooling around last night with the L4, XO3, and various Scorpions, 6P's, and even a PT Surge, I've found the XO3 to hold it's own to any of them in the brightness and Throw range. I do not own an L5, but my L4 up until now has been my favorite LED light. Now, I'm thinking I have two...the XO3 is such a nice light, and it cost me half of the L4. I'm just glad that I have both...the only two lights I'll ever need when camping...flood and throw/distance....who could ask for anything more??

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I am sorry, I misread your post. I thought it was the XO you were referring to but somehow today I saw the 3 designation behind. My bad. Ignore my previous post about the XO then.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you use the XO3 with a Pila 168S or A? I was thinking of an L4 w/168S, but it seems that despite how "old" the L4 is, it is in too high a demand to be fairly priced.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess nobody had tried it. Well, I got an $80 gift card from my Discover card for $40 worth of "reward" money, and the local SI did have the XO^3...behind a glass case. Good job, guys, take a flashlight brighter than most mortals have ever seen and hide it behind glass making it look like it might be as bright as the Hummer shake-light they have. (Biggest SUV name on the dimmest light?)

Anyway, the XO^3 is not a great LiIon candidate. Draws 550ma from fresh CR123, and a bit less from a full LiIon cell (tested with the one from a StrIon). Dunno if it would handle the voltage of 2 cells, and don't plan to try.

Glad I got the Strion even if it is less efficient. It's a bit smaller enough in a way that makes it just as big as I am willing to EDC, it is lighter, and it's rechargeable w/o having to remove the cell. (dunno how that contact system works, though...somewhere in there must be a switch and the springs must make constant contact).

They're both fun lights...and my thumb is sure getting sore!

BTW, catch the original Stinger and many more in Resident Evil:Resurrection.