Help! Need to mount a surefire to shotgun! Options

T

Teethmonkey

I have a remington 870 and want to put a surfire flashlight on it. I do not have a magazine extension and don't ever plan on getting one. I Also don't want to get the 618FA because I want to do something unique, everybody has 618FAs. I wanted a 918FA but surefire is out of stock on those. I figure if I get just the foregrip (H18FA) then I can screw in a different millenium style flashlight? Is this correct? If I can do this then it would be a plus to also be able to use the flashlight as a flashlight at times. Does anybody have any experience or insight in doing this? I was curious of how long of a flashlight I could have before it stuck out past my 18.5" barrel. Also would I be able to get a wide head on the flashlight since I do not have a magazine extension. In other words would and M4 devastator screwed into an h18fa foregrip stick out past the barrel? would it be too wide and touch the barrel? Would the size of such a long flashlight put too much weight back on the foregrip or on the threads? Are there any other options than this? I hope this hasn't been covered before. I am brand spanking new to these forums. THanks guys for your help.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Help! Need to mount a surefire to shotgun! Opt

Welcome to CPF Teethmonkey!

Yes, You can get the Forend Housing (H18FA) and the LM90 Millennium Lamp Module which is basically what the 918FA is.
How hard have you searched for the 918FA at Dealers?

I will attempt to find out how far the LM90 sticks out from the housing.

The LM90 is a Lamp Module. Therefore you'll need a Universal Housing body (A21) which only comes in black [the LM90 is HA] and a TailCap (such as the Z41 LockOut TailCap, also black) in order to create a handheld flashlight from the LM90.

While it could be possible to attach an M4 body to the H18FA, it is unlikely there will be enough clearance between the barrel and TurboHead for this to fit. I believe when SureFire upgraded the forends they had to increase the clearance so the LM90 could fit.
Additionally, and most significantly, unlike SureFire WeaponLights, the M4 body does not isolate the batteries from the Bezel. This means that the batteries can slam into the Lamp Assembly under recoil and shotguns feature some of the heaviest recoils. I do not advise you attach an M4 to your shotgun.

Your option for a TurboHead WeaponLight on a shotgun is to use the SureFire M69 Picatinny Rail Forend and attach an Millennium Universal WeaponLight to the rail. TurboHead options include the M972 (three SF123A) and M982 (four SF123A) models.

I will attempt to find you photos of 870 shotguns with TurboHead models attached.

Regards,

Al

T

Teethmonkey

Thanks AL! I know that a lm90 will work with an magazine extension in place so not haveing a magazine extension is about an inch more lcearance at least. I am glad you told me about the battery isolation issue. I thought they were. Photos with turbo heads would be awesome! THank you!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm mounting an LM90 to my benelli M1 super90.
The best aftermarket mounts that I have found are by Lite mount technology

http://www.litemounttech.com/

The best place to see all of the options are at Laser devices

http://www.laserdevices.com/accessories/acc_mounts_search.asp

Use the drop down and click your weapon. Then see the catalog using the PDF link. These mounts are rock solid. I have one for my Nova, M1 Super90, FN Police pump.
I'm waiting on my OP9 to arrive for my FN Police Pump.

T

Teethmonkey

One more question. If I Got the 918fa would the houseing body be black or HA? If I did this would there be a HA tail cap I could put on it if I wanted to use it as a flashlight?

Size15's

Flashaholic

Teethmonkey, you have email from me that has some photos of the parts we've been discussing.

The LM90 (like the M3) required three SF123A batteries.

The LM90 Lamp Module Body holds two SF123As.

The Forend WeaponLight Housing (H18FA) holds the third SF123A.

The A21 Universal Housing body is black and about 1" long and replaces the H18FA and holds the third SF123A.
You screw the LM90 into one end of the A21 and you screw a TailCap onto the other. SureFire offers a huge range of TailCap switch options. The LockOut TailCap is the standard option. It comes in Black as the Z41 but also in HA too.

Does this make sense?

T

Teethmonkey

Yes, I understand now. I had thought that the lm90 was just the head and if I bought them separate I would have to get the A21 even if I only used it in the h18fa