Burned a DVD movie, it's very jumpy. (solved)

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burned a DVD movie, it\'s very jumpy. (solved)

[edited title to show that problem is solved 9/2/04]

I know there are a lot of computer experts around here, so I'll throw my problem out there: I recently got set up to make digital home movies with a Sony digital cam corder and a TDK DVD+/-RW burner which came with Roxio Easy DVD creator software. So I burned a DVD and it plays fine on my portable DVD player with 10.2 inch TFT screen. However, when I play it on my TV with my home DVD player the image is really jumpy. It looks like the frame rate is too low or like it was filmed under a strobe light. Any scene where there is fast movement or the camera pans looks jumpy and kind of sickening to watch. I tried a Sony brand DVD and a TDK brand DVD and they are identical in performance. I don't know if I have a problem with the settings, the disc compatibility or something else. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Burned a DVD movie, it\'s very jumpy.

does sound like ya player dont like the disc to me have ya tryoied burning it slower?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I burned one at 2x and one at 4x. They were both 4x capable discs.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

media is a funny thing with burner but ya tryied to diff disc however there marked one thing but usaly made from some one else.excpet sony there usaly made from sony.thats werid does ya player suport burnt dvd,s some dont. did ya update ya dvdcd burner to newest firmware

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't update the burner firmware, but I'll try that. It is pretty new, bought in April of this year.

The player was bought late last year. I'll check it's manual if I can find it. It says on the case that it is compatible with DVD/CD/VCD. I think VCDs are typically burned, so it should be able to read burned media in general.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, I will check it out tonight. I can't remember the make/model right now.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Try your disc in another person's dvd player. Try it in a typical dvd in another computer.

How full is the disk? For a 1 hour movie, you should fill up a 4.3 gig dvdr disk. If it's under this size your source may be of lower quality, or it could be a codec/compression problem.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

good points turbo i forgot about that. i have my stuff in xvid i like that codec but a course its for pc only but ya can get a decent quailty movie at 700 megs on cd

raggie33

*the raggedier*

[ QUOTE ]
ensig said:
Raggie, have you checked out Phillips DVP642 DVD Player /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.
It plays DivX, not sure if it handles Xvid or not.

[/ QUOTE ]sweett good find ty.i use divx sometimes to

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's possible the media could be a problem with that dvd player. If you burned it on + media, try reburning it on - media. If it seems like it's dropping frames or looks pixelated, check to see what quality you recorded it at. It generaly takes a long time to transcode a movie at high quality. If it's recorded at a low quality, it might look o.k. on a small screen, but when its blown up on a large screen, quality can suffer dramatically.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

I have given some copies out to grandparents, so I will check to see how it looks on their DVD players.

The movie is about an hour to 1.5 hours. It almost completely fills the 4.7 GB DVD+R. It took a long time to compress, like 4 hours on my 1.2 GHz Celeron processor.

Picture quality is great and no pixelation. I am not sure what a normal frame rate is, maybe something like 20 frames per second. If so, this looks like 8 to 10 frames per second, maybe less. It looks great if there in minimal motion in the frame and the camera is steady, but, for instance, when my kid was jumping up and down, the frame rate problem becomes very noticeable, like someone dancing under a disco strobe light. That is the only problem, though. Every other aspect of it is great. If it were a movie without any rapid motion, like of a fish tank, you would never notice a problem.

OK, I just looked up the DVD player (Magnavox MDV453) on Raggie's link. It looks like that is probably the problem. It is rated for DVD+/-R and +/-RW, but based on the user comments, some have found it to be a bit weak at reading them and choosy with the media. It probably wasn't the ideal player to have bought, but I'm stuck with it at this point. I guess I will experiment with other media (although I can see where that could cost as much money as a new player).

Thanks again for all the help, guys, and I'll let you know if that solves the problem.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

o btw not that it helps it is to late but if i recall circuit has a player on sale for like 27 bukcs

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, that does help. I could easily spend more than that trying out different media. I'll think about that and maybe take my DVD over there and try it out. Thanks for the head's up.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Raggie, yes, i got one of those for my Dad. Since I got a DVD burner all future grandchild videos will be delivered to the grandparents on DVD and my dad is a reluctant adopter of new technology /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I helped him along.

The el-cheapo DVD player is actually fairly nice. It's avery small case, thin and half as wide as a full size rack space and played all the different brands of DVD that I tried in it. It's interesting how different brands of media do play in different recorders. That cheap one played everything except a slide show that I had rendered. but it did play it a little bit. With expensive sony media it played it about half way through before breaking up, but on the cheaper, no name media it began breaking up almost immediately even though everything else played fine.

Very strange.

But anyway, the point of this post was to suggest that cheap DVD player was not bad at all.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Sony DVP-NS725P and love it. I think you can get them for about $130. It has played absolutely every brand of DVD+-R/RW I have put in it with absolutely no problems.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Come to think of it, if I can convince myself that the problem is entirely in my DVD player, and I am almost convinced of that, I don't really have to do anything at the moment. I think I can connect my portable DVD player to my TV for playing DVD+/-R, which won't be that often. I am mostly burning to archive and share with grandparents. Chances are I will have a different DVD player at some point in the future anyway. By then they will be like $5 and will play anything including vinyl records.

gessner17

Enlightened

I have done a fair amount of video capture/editing and it sounds like your CPU/Hard drive can't keep up with the frame rate so it is dropping frames, it takes some quality hardware to get a quality video on to dvd, just my thought, I know I had problems before I went with SCSI HD's.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

That could be it, but I hope not because I just bought a brand new Seagate Barracuda HD just for video editing. It is 7200 RPM with an 8MB cache and 80GB of storage. If it isn't up to spec, I wasted a lot of money. But my editing software has a HD test procedure to check for dropped frames, and this HD passed the test.

I swear this whole project has cost a lot more money than I ever expected. We got into this by buying a digital cam-corder using a store credit from a returned gift. We had to add about $150 of our own money to get the camera. I thought I was going to use a USB link and make VCDs, but that sucked, so I added a Firewire card. That still sucked, so I needed a DVD Burner. Then I needed more than my 14GB free space to make a full-length DVD, so a new Hard Drive was needed. Now the DVD player isn't up to spec either. That darned store credit is going to end up costing me a month's pay not to mention all the time shopping and installing. And now I am expected to spend all my time filming and editing and burning. I feel like I wasn't even at my son's first birthday party because I was either at the grill or behind the camera the whole time. Oh well, that gives me a reason to watch the movie.