Arc LS through Airport Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I just notice that when carrying an Arc LS with the CR123 tail, it raise questions of "What is it?" but if you put the 2AA tail, the security guy would just think it's an imitation of the Mini-Mag and let through un-noticed. After all, most company (Rayovac, Sears, Radio Shack, etc…) made a clone of the Mini-Mag.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little advise, when I take my LS with a twisty through airport security I always turn it on before dropping it in the tray.

Never and I mean never point it at the security guard and say praise Allah you capitalist infidel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Turning it on is a clever idea. I've had the screener look at it trying to figure out what it was, and I've always said "it's a flashlight" before they had a chance to get too suspicious. I've then shown them how to turn it on, and that satisfied them.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:I've then shown them how to turn it on, and that satisfied them.

[/ QUOTE ]
<bitteron>You could satisfy a security screener with a rubber ball. It does not take much to exceed their mental capacity to comprehend.</bitteroff>

Yeh, I have had my share of dealings with those people with the IQ of pi (3.14) and the mishandling of my photo equipment. The morons that try to pull a lense off, the ones that drop equipment, the ones that refuse to allow extra batteries, the ones that open camera backs when there is film inside, the list goes on.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RayT said:
the ones that refuse to allow extra batteries

[/ QUOTE ]

When did that happen and where? I usually try to carry a spare rechargeable for my digital camera and don't want to have it confiscated.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Don't forget in dealing with these folks, the majority of them have never graduated high-school, but yet they let them have guns and the authority to tell you your stuff is not allowed thru the gate.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
Never and I mean never point it at the security guard and say praise Allah you capitalist infidel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Yeah, and never, ever, tell them "don't worry officer, it won't explode" either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
Just a little advise, when I take my LS with a twisty through airport security I always turn it on before dropping it in the tray.

[/ QUOTE ]
...and if meeting your friend Jack, it's better to shout "Hello Jack!" rather than "HI JACK!"

RayT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CalgaryGuy said:
[ QUOTE ]
RayT said:
the ones that refuse to allow extra batteries

[/ QUOTE ]

When did that happen and where? I usually try to carry a spare rechargeable for my digital camera and don't want to have it confiscated.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was in Seattle. I had six Surefire 123 cells in my carry on. I was told that I could not take the batteries as they were hazardous as they contained lithium. I said the batteries are for my lights and they are enclosed and do not present a hazard. They said that did not matter.

I asked to see a supervisor and was promptly told that if I did not give up the batteries and move on I would not be allowed to continue to my gate. I asked to see a supervisor again and was told that one more outburst (a question?) and I would be removed from the airport and arrested.

I gave up the batteries. I have since learned that my request to see a supervisor should have been granted without question. I have also learned that TSA cannot arrest you, they have to call the local police. I have also learned that TSA cannot touch you without asking first as that can be considered assault.

I guess it was the red color of the Surefire cells, reminded them of dynamite. TSA is clueless and is simply an agency to employ the unemployable. We are no safe in the air than before as any attempt by someone to take over an aircraft will be met with swift and severe pain to the offender.

TSA is a joke, manned by imbociles, managed by idiots, and a total waste of taxpayers money.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
While there may be truth in what you say, it doesn't change the fact that you (we?) all have to deal with TSA as one of the realities of travel, and need to accommodate their perceptions if you want to avoid hassles. I was going through the LAX/AA terminal Sunday morning and saw what I'm sure was one of our Southern Calif CPFers setting off the security trip wire. He had some sort of high end Surefire with like a 4" Turbo head. Security had detected it and was in the process of making him check in. Nice light but it's just not unexpected that something like that (or a 4D maglite or anything sizeable) will show up on X ray and get attention, so you need to have a plan B if you're bringing one along.

I would've introduced myself afterwards but he didn't look like he was in a good mood for it...

fuelblender

Enlightened
I'll be flying out of Richmond VA next Friday going to Chicago and I hope I don't have any trouble. I'll be carrying a Longbow Micra, SF L4, ARC AAA, LSHP and LSHF-P in my carry on luggage.

Any tips will be appreciated; thanks!!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am flying out a week from Saturday with two BB500 minimags, 2D R2H Mag, 5W WX1S 2D mag, a few Arc AAA/AA, Peak AA and MicroIlluminator AAA. I will have rechargable AA, AAA and D cells but will try to sneak in 12 lithium AA batteries.

My plan is to put all the lithium AA batteries inside devices to hide them. (and AAA lithiums if I can get them) Anyone notice if they took flashlights apart to look for lithiums? I think I should be OK when they see the rechargable NiMH batteries along with alkalines.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some people around here think they are better than everyone else.

A friend of mine works for airport security.

He is very smart and a nice guy.

He is 33 years old and owns 2 nice houses.
he really owns them-no payments to a bank
and he payed for them himself.

I think he used to be a aplication specific integrated circuit designer.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Can't blame people for not being au fait with every little thing in the world. The fact that they are being cautious and suspicious shows that they are working and not stiving. Most of the time the word "taxpayer" **** off people. I am not sure about your country but in mine, everyone pays tax, whether they are holding a government job or not. So when Joe sneers to uncle Sam that he pays tax, Sam snorts back saying he paid too, and perhaps even more.

sideshowandy

Newly Enlightened
unfortunately there do appear to be quite a few inflexible people working in airport security, incapable of applying rules/guidance with an element of common sense.

off the subject of flashlights, i have read two recent stories where passengers had camping stoves confiscated even though they were able to clearly demonstrate that the fuel tank was full of water to specifically allay the concerns of security. again the passengers were intimidated by security - basically make a fuss about your stove and you don't get on the plane....

i'm sure that we all accept that security must be high, that there must be appropriate rules/guidance but it is in their application that the system often fails.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple times my wife bought a syringe on board (for bee stings)
without any documentation. They could have taken it away ($50 a pop!)
but they let us through both at the metal detector and also hand
search. I was amazed.

As I wateched them search her, I noticed they were looking at her
expression and response. Both the lady who was searching and
also the second person nearby. I believe the whole search thing
is a guise to do a psyche profile.

I'm sure if my wife was resisting and had shifty eyes, we may have
been detained /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.