Luxeon Star , Vintage 'L' Neck Boyscout Flashlight

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon Star , Vintage \'L\' Neck Boyscout Flashlight

Here's an interesting Luxeon Star modified flashlight. It is a vintage Boyscout 'L' neck flashlight, in which I mounted a Luxeon Star LED in it. I am using 4 'AA' batteries in a battery holder, in place of one of the 'D' cell batteries, and a dummy 'D' cell with a 2 ohm resistor in it. This is a very practical designed flashlight. It has a belt clip in it, both to carry when not in use, and also to clip in your belt or shirt or whatever, while you are working/walking/whatever.

BOYSCOUT.LUXEON.1.jpg

BOYSCOUT.LUXEON.2.jpg

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif
grin.gif

remuen

Enlightened
Re: Luxeon Star , Vintage \'L\' Neck Boyscout Flashlight

Hi Wayne

A very nice old flashlight
smile.gif
Astonishig from where you get these old things. Do you have a museum near your place?

One of your next mods will certainly be a petroleum lamp
grin.gif
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by remuen:
Hi Wayne

A very nice old flashlight
smile.gif
Astonishig from where you get these old things. Do you have a museum near your place?

One of your next mods will certainly be a petroleum lamp
grin.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get ready, there's more to come! Old flashlights used to use a magnifying lens instead of a reflector, and I've got a few, in which Luxeon Star's will be installed.

jeff1500

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
Get ready, there's more to come! Old flashlights used to use a magnifying lens instead of a reflector, and I've got a few, in which Luxeon Star's will be installed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been wondering about lenses on lights. I'm curious about the beam pattern with one of those old lenses.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

we will find out.
got an old eveready with the convex fisheye lense.
it is a bit worn so at least i wont feel bad about modding a mint one.
smile.gif

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm ... I've got a few old carbide caving lamps. The bottom (carbide) container would be the right size for short rechargeable batteries (the large lamp would hold a fistful of AAs). And the upper water tank with its needle valve would be ideal for the slow drip of cooling water, if routed past the LED.

Heck, the big 4" and 6" chromed reflectors would probably be fine heat sinks.

And the little pinhole push-in acetylene burner tips that fit centered in the reflector are just about the size of LEDs in mounts.

Hmmmm ....

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snakebite:
we will find out.
got an old eveready with the convex fisheye lense.
it is a bit worn so at least i wont feel bad about modding a mint one.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an old Eveready Daylo, vintage 1917-2921. I put up a post in the new Flashlight Colletor section. I put a Luxeon Star behind the lens, and not much happens. I also use a bare emitter behind it, and it's not to exciting.

I've purchased another old 'bubble eye' flashlight, pretty cheap. when I get it I might put a Luxeon Star in it, just for fun. I don't think the light output will be that great, though.

By the way, this old Boy Scout 'L' neck was first introduce around 1929. So it is probably from the 1930's. ?? I didn't realize that when I purchased it. Anyway, with the 4 AA batteries, it does get a pretty long burn time. I think this design is a great design. I like to clip it on my belt. I have a few other of these old Boy Scout flashlights. I might do another one just for myself, or my 8 year old son.

grin.gif