Longbow Max

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Longbow's website, they list a model called the "Max" that is due to be out in third quarter, 2004. Anyone know the specs of this model, or any information not yet released? Anyone have a guess as to what this model will be like?

http://www.longbowgear.com/products.html

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
I have been to the Longbow office in Singapore and was told the Max basically uses a Regulated 5W LED attached to a ECO tube.

The Current 5w Led that is selling in the Singapore Market is non-regulated. (I had tested the 5W led with my 1W micra + booster head and the micra out throw the 5W led)

Furthur more the life span of the 5W led is only around 1000hrs, so its not worth to $ on it.

[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
On Longbow's website, they list a model called the "Max" that is due to be out in third quarter, 2004. Anyone know the specs of this model, or any information not yet released? Anyone have a guess as to what this model will be like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Morganch_oh said:
I have been to the Longbow office in Singapore and was told the Max basically uses a Regulated 5W LED attached to a ECO tube.

The Current 5w Led that is selling in the Singapore Market is non-regulated. (I had tested the 5W led with my 1W micra + booster head and the micra out throw the 5W led)

Furthur more the life span of the 5W led is only around 1000hrs, so its not worth to $ on it.

[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, thanks for the information.

As far as the 5-watt lifespan, the Surefire L2 and L4-L7 use a 5-watt bulb rated at 500-1000 hours as well, and lots of folks buy them.

I agree though that 1000 hours is a low lifespan for an LED, its too bad they are not using the 3-watt bulb instead....

Kiessling

Flashaholic
5W is A LOT os light!
And you get some beautiful medium flood beams with that!
I LOVE the 5W, and to be honest, I never use a light 1000h ... I cycle to another one before ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bk

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
5W is A LOT os light!
And you get some beautiful medium flood beams with that!
I LOVE the 5W, and to be honest, I never use a light 1000h ... I cycle to another one before ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bk

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here (the 5-watt is bright and does a good job with flood beams), and in fact I have 2 Surefire L2s that I use plus (2 Surefire U2s on pre-order). However....I'd personally prefer 3-watt bulbs in the L2 and U2 for the greater life--a little brightness loss in exchange for 20,000 hour plus life is worth it for me. Unfortunately, Surefire doesn't currently offer that choice so I use my L2s mostly on low power (hoping that will keep the LED heat down), and I plan to do the same with my U2s whenever they start shipping.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well ... if you'd run 1 set of batteries through your L2 every day, this would mean you could do that for about 2 years untill significant dimming occurs.
Frankly, in 2 years you'd want another light with an Z-bin LS and a Fusion reactor and won't think about the old L2 abny more AND if you really do this the L2 will have served you well then, and SF might even give you a new head for it if it will finally fail you.

So ... to sum it up ... I use mine, I do not care for the 500-1000.

bernhard

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
Just wondering, When Surefire say the lights are lifetime warranty.

Does that cover the LED as well?

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
well ... if you'd run 1 set of batteries through your L2 every day, this would mean you could do that for about 2 years untill significant dimming occurs.
Frankly, in 2 years you'd want another light with an Z-bin LS and a Fusion reactor and won't think about the old L2 abny more AND if you really do this the L2 will have served you well then, and SF might even give you a new head for it if it will finally fail you.

So ... to sum it up ... I use mine, I do not care for the 500-1000.

bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Fat

Newly Enlightened
Im also looking forward to the longbow max, those 30mm optics on the booster head does a excellent job of collaminating the light into a tight beam.