Getting a Great Glow

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several forum members who have acquired 10-20 grams of the new glow powders have asked me to provide a simplified, but very effective way to use them. I've made all the mistakes, so here's my method for the best, brightest, all-night glow that is surprisingly hassle-free.

Firstly, helpful materials:
1. a 1/2 oz. bottle of lacquer-based CLEAR fingernail finish.
2. a 1/4 oz. bottle of clean unleaded paint thinner.
3. small bottle of "white out" -like typewriter "correction" fluid -to be used as a base (primer) coat.
4. 3-4" stirring stick (not plastic)
5. a 1/4 teaspoon plastic kitchen measuring spoon
6. cheap medicine dropper (for thinner)
7. piece of folded cardboard or small piece of paper for small funnel.
8. clean, empty, sealable small bottle 1/2 oz. or larger.

EZ recipe for a DAZZLING paint after-glow result:

A. pour out 3/4 (75%) of the 1/2 oz. fingernail fingernail finish into the other little empty bottle and cap it tight, so it doesn't evaporate.
B. carefully fill the plastic measuring 1/4 teaspoon of the glow mix to a little more than the level mark, and gently pour it into the fingernail liquid. FYI-that 1/4 teaspoon of pigment weighs about 2.25 gm.
C. stir the powder into the liquid thoroughly.!
D. Screw the cap (with built-in applicator brush) tightly down to prevent the mix from drying out.
-There..., now you've mixed some great paint!

I suggest keeping that little bottle of paint in motion every minute or so to prevent the pigment from settling,-and you having to re-stir.

Simple and quick application:

A. on a clean, dry surface, quickly paint a base coat of the "white out" (or other oil-based flat White paint).
B. After it dries (2-3 min)., apply a thin coat of your newly mixed Glow paint-and as soon as you have applied it, put the cap back on Quickly -to minimize evaporation. It's a very good idea to keep that bottle of new Glow-paint moving in your hand a little -to keep it well mixed.
C. All you need to do then is to apply 3-4 more thin coats (letting each one dry thoroughly -usually 5-10 minutes under average conditions, and a properly dried surface will look FLAT, not shiny), and if you're in a hurry you can use a squeeze air-bulb or even a small fan to speed the drying process.
Tip: if the paint mixture does become too thick, making it hard to apply evenly, just add 3-5 drops of the paint thinner with the dropper to thin it out very nicely....-not too much!
-And stir it in well before re-applying.
FYI-if you've stuck with my recommendations as far as proportions, you have a pigment to base liquid ratio of 30-35% by weight.

Don't do the following!:--------
1. dilute with lacquer thinner or acetone-you'll wreck the mix.
2. don't add bird or buckshot into the mix to facilitate mixing-the lead will leach into the mix!

You can do the above procedure from start to completion in an hour or so, -with decent ventilation for each coat to dry, but don't expect the painted surface to glow brightly, until the paint is dry.-that's how it works folks
tongue.gif

When drying is complete, using the blue/green pigment, you will have a glow surface that is 4-5 times as bright and lasts 2-3 times longer than the green glow sheeting, and is 40% brighter (IMO) than Alien Skin -especially after 2 hours in darkness.
rolleyes.gif

A final touch:------------------
The painted surface can easily be given a thin coat of protective clear lacquer from that second little bottle that was left over.

General Info:-------------------
The Regular green pigment glows brightly for about 8-10 hours and only need 30 seconds exposure to strong light to charge up.

The more powerful blue/green paint glows very well for 16-24 hours and requires at LEAST a full minute to properly charge, -and by strong light I mean the surface should be held 3-4" under a cool white fluorescent if possible......

The glowing surfaces will have a lifespan rivaling that of the LED, I would guess. Hoop-de-doo!
The entire procedure described above takes less time to do than the time it took to write this little article -about 70min.
blush.gif

p.s.-short exposure to UV light on a 2" x 3½" painted business card gave enough light storage to allow me to find my way around a house full of dark rooms for about 40 minutes, and to easily read average sized printed copy in a TV Guide for almost half an hour....
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Edit-4/5/02:
One really good way to tell if you've mixed your new paint in the proper proportion is to stir the paint thoroughly and then set the jar down on a flat surface in a dark area for 2-3 hours.

Then, holding the bottle level under a strong light to charge up the mixture, note the level of the settled pigment at the bottom compared to the total fluid level. It should be no more than about 1/3 of the whole liquid.
*Edit-4/5-a last final way to tell if you've got the right mix ratio is that the Dried painted surface should feel very slightly gritty-like emery paper.

Also, the mixed paint should flow a little,-if it doesn't, then just add 2-3 drops (+) of the thinner. -If it's too "gooey", it won't go on smooothly and give you a nice Even coat..
tongue.gif

Edit-4/20/02:
To test to see if you have picked the best base liquid to use, it would be great if you could hold a small swatch of just the Clear base painted on a White business card under a blacklight. If you see little or no discoloration, you've got a good one! I tried 5 or 6 different brands under a black light and 4 of them looked a little "blackish"
frown.gif
under that light. It WILL make a difference in ultimate brightness.

Addition-5/14/02
It's also best to try to mix up just a little more paint than you will need for the particular job you're doing. Over time, the lacquer medium will darken the pigment a little. So the absolute best possible results come from a fresh mixture. However, the finished painted surface will
not deteriorate over a period of time-especially if it's lightly lacquered.

-mr.glow-

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about adding a copper or steel BB or 2 to the mix to assist in shaking it up? I add BBs to my white-out bottles and it really helps.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
How about adding a copper or steel BB or 2 to the mix to assist in shaking it up? I add BBs to my white-out bottles and it really helps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't see anything wrong with that...-but I'm never using anything like lead or lead containing materials again, -actually I was warned by the Nichia rep. about that, but I didn't listen
blush.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alphawolf:
Where does one procure an amount of this "glow powder"? Is it expensive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not terribly expensive (roughly $2.-or less a gram which makes about 1/4 oz.+ of SUPER quality glow paint. So, for about 10-$15 (because of ordering quantity minimums), you can make quite a lot of your own paint, and not pay ridiculous prices for professional results.

After this experience, I no longer have so much respect for Alien Skin (at 20 bucks for 2-5" x 8" pieces) -and only about 60% as good over an 8 hour glow period!
tongue.gif

p.s.-I'm looking for at least 2 partners for a small group buy for a New pigment that I got a sample of TODAY that's looks about 20% better than even the Nichia powder!
shocked.gif

Quite frankly, if this material was twice the price, I'd still buy it. -I sure hope the supplier doesn't read this post
blush.gif
:p

Alphawolf

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>p.s.-I'm looking for at least 2 partners for a small group buy for a New pigment that I got a sample of TODAY that's about 20% better than even the Nichia powder! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd be interested! Details....more details!

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> p.s.-I'm looking for at least 2 partners for a small group buy for a New pigment that I got a sample of TODAY that's about 20% better than even the Nichia powder! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug - Your killing me man !!!
smile.gif

Drooooool

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alphawolf:
p.s.-I'm looking for at least 2 partners for a small group buy for a New pigment that I got a sample of TODAY that's about 20% better than even the Nichia powder! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd be interested! Details....more details!

Here's the proposition that (Shannon Luminous Materials) made me:
1 oz. blue/green pigment (28 gm.)-$55. or 100 grams-$75.00
-This is for the new Grade "8" stuff the professionals are starting to use. So, if I can find 3, 4 or even 5 people to go in on it with me, it might be pretty sensible. Unfortunately, they don't sell this stuff on Ebay
frown.gif

FYI-the Nichia powder turned out to be a grade "7"-there are FOUR grades in a given color (5,6,7, and 8). Anybody interested can drop me a line............
Simply put-this stuff, properly mixed, applied, and charged, can glow like stink.
tongue.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some of the Nichia powder and it screams. It's brighter than an Indiglo EL nightlight that I have and about the same color. If you say, and I belive you, that the SLM is about 20% brighter than I MUST have some.
Email sent mr.glow.
wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan:
Email Sent Oh is that 6? Am I too late?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not,-because it'll just have a bearing on how much I'll have to order.....I'm just trying to keep this buy reasonably manageable.
It does look now that I will have to cap participation in a day or two though..
frown.gif

Evan: I have kept a record of the several emails about this, but I didn't notice yours (?)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
Am I too late? Can I be added to the list?

grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Zip;
Check your PM inbox
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to close out participation in the Glow powder group buy.

-Later, as soon as I can verify continual availability, (this is a new product, and NOT available on their web site), I will be glad to post the source for ordering this on your own.