Easy Dorcy 2C 8 LED mod

unclearty

Enlightened
I was one of those who found the Dorcy 2 C on closeout at Target. Got it home..very bright wall of white light....but..it had these ugly, stupid looking ring of circles on the beams outer edge. Very annoying. Well, the beam was nice and bright...why not experiment.
Unscrew the head and VERY carefully, use the back end of a srewdriver, dowel or even a socket that will fit...press out the guts through the front. NOTE: this isn't easy to do without damaging the light.

What we need to do is get out the chromed plastic retainer that holds the led assembly in the head. Carefully scrape off the chrome plating on the inside lip of the retainer.

Im000451.thumb.jpg

Under the chrome cap that supports the leds, there is a little spring. I removed mine so that the head would sit a little lower around the leds. If you have gouged any parts, now is the time to use some 320 grit sand papaer to smooth out the rough edges.
Lastly, start assembling everything in reverse order. NOTE: you will make your life easier if you take the unchromed retainer and run its outer edge over some sandpaper first...making it's outer diameter just a hair smaller will make re-assembly MUCH easier. Once everything is back in place, I used the back end of a screwdriver to tap the outer plastic lens into place snuggly. The little outer retainer can be forced back into place with just your thumbs.
Here is a beam shot of the updated light...no more outer little circles of light...just a wide smooth white beam.
Im000453.thumb.jpg
Im000452.thumb.jpg

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice little write-uptoo bad there are no beam shots prior to the mod for comparison

Lenny7

Newly Enlightened
Nice mod! I'll try it out.

[ QUOTE ]
unclearty said:
I was one of those who found the Dorcy 2 C on closeout at Target. Got it home..very bright wall of white light....but..it had these ugly, stupid looking ring of circles on the beams outer edge. Very annoying. Well, the beam was nice and bright...why not experiment....

[/ QUOTE ]

Latest posts