Surefire C2/C3 - attach lanyard to clip or Z12?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I attach the lanyard on a Surefire C2/C3/M2 light to the little ring on the clip, or should I use the Z12 ring? I have the C2 and I'm currently carrying it with the lanyard attached to a split ring and the hole in the clip. I only ask because it is a fairly heavy light, will it cause any long-term problems with the clip? The Z12 welded-steel ring that fits in the groove of the tailcap seems sturdier.

As an aside, how do the rest of you carry your C2/C3/M2s? I'm pocketing mine at the moment with the lanyard looped around the belt. There is a quick-release clip on the split ring end so I can get to the light quickly. So far, quite comfortable. It feels big, but solid, and is easy to draw. An E2e/L4 would be even more unnoticeable but as it is, the C2 is fine. I wanted the C2 for compatibility with higher-end SF P90/P91 lamps. As for the power source to drive that.. well, it's still 'on the way'.

The V25 holster (and presumably V20/21) does not work with the C2 due to the grip ring being too wide. Since I was buying the V25 for my 6P, I just gave it a shot.

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire C2/C3 - attach lanyard to clip or Z12

Your system seems to work for you although as you surmise attaching the lanyard to the clip may not be the most stable long term set up.
I would think using the z26 ring which attaches btween the body and tail cap along w/the newish mini-clip plus lanyard (availale w/newer SC spare carriers and the A2/L2/L1 Z60)would be a stronger long term set up.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm.. may be a good idea that I bought the ring, called the Z12 I believe, and I was lucky enough to receive an SC1 with the new lanyard clip, which is great stuff.

That's the magic of the SF system, you can mix and match as you need to fulfil your requirements. Wonder if the clip is covered under their "break it" guarantee.. I noted they recommend the Z33 system for the C2, but I'm quite sure they would not have put the attach point in the clip if they knew it would break - older C2s with the D2-style clip do not have it.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally would NOT attach the lanyard to the clip on the C2. If that thing gets hung up as you're running through a doorway, it could bend the clip all the way out, possibly breaking it. I have the tailcap ring on mine, with some nylon paracord through it. Better safe than sorry!