Wind Up / Hand Crank Flashlight + Radio Query

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

Does any one know a Good Hand Crank Flashlight + Radio Combo... in a pockatable package.

Here are the Requirements / Features that can satisfy me
1) Hand Crank (*)
2) LED 1 - 5 LED's (*)
3) AM / FM (*) (analog / digital tuning.. anything goes)
4) SW / TV / Wether (optional)
5) Battery Operation (optional) If Available then AA or AAA Only
6) Solar (optional)
7) Inbuilt Rechargable (optional)
8) Size, Preferably Pocketable / Medium Size will also do (but not large)
9) Shape (preferable Rectangular box) ... I have seen a couple in very Jaazy shapes / very cosmetic in apperance, though it dosent matter much.. Its the Utility & Reliablity that counts
10) Below $50 (cheaper the better) (quality can be compromised... to some extent)

(*) is Required

EDIT: Even if Most of the Required things are met.. I will still be Happy... Main aim is to get Flashlight + Radio + Wind up / Crank Functionality.

Many Thanks in Advance.....

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hand Crank Flashlight + Radio Query

No one can tell ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Viren

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I've not seen one quite like what you want. There are some out there that are similar, but don't have an LED light. I've had one years that has an incandescent bulb, only am/fm, and a dynamo/solar charging system. It's not too bad though the analog tuning isn't great. The dynamo type of charging system is a bit of a pain. Much cranking only yields about twenty minutes of radio if the batts are otherwise depleted. Of course, they can be fully charged by the solar cells. I prefer the spring storage method used by the Freeplay line of crank-up radios. It's less work, but the radios are much larger and heavier. I can't remember a brand name for my old dynamo radio to tell you. I think I bought it at a Northern Tool store for around $15-$20.

Techmedic

Enlightened

Viren,

Get yourself the best of each item, and then get a pelican box (with foam) placing all items inside. Instead of looking for a one-of-a-kind animal, assemble a kit to provide this above functionality, that will be tough enough to withstand the situations is it intended to be utilized for.
Do keep looking for such an animal though. Do let us know your choices. OH!, never forget a good customized first aid kit!

paulr

Flashaholic

1) Low cost crank radios that I've seen have generally been of pretty crappy quality.

2) They tend to use incandescent lamps rather than LED's. That CCrane one is the first LED one I've seen, and it's somewhat expensive.

3) They also tend to use soldered-in rechargeable batteries, which will eventually crap out. I think it's better to use removable batteries.

4) Simplest may be to just get an ordinary AA-powered flashlight and radio, and some NiMH cells and a solar charger. That should be enough to keep your light and radio operating for quite a long time.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your responces....

I am Flexible about the Requirements... If Most of the things are met.. its still good....

What I basically need is a Flashlight + Radio + Crank Mechanism ....

After all, if there is an InCand Light.. It can ALways be MOdded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Something similar to what RussH has mentioned... but slightly lower in Cost... (if it's of slightly lower quality, its ok with me... as i just wanna try it out...)

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

paulr

Flashaholic

I've played with the FR200. It's reasonably sturdy. However, its light is incandescent, and it uses a 3x1/2AA soldered-in battery pack. And I think (not sure) that the incan light uses a nonstandard bulb. Basically I don't think you can rely on the internal battery pack staying useable through long periods in storage. Really, these things may be useful in some circumstances, but I worry that they create expectations that they can't live up to.

Aloft

Enlightened

ViRen. . . I don't have the flashlight version, but I do own a Baygen Freeplay Summit wind up radio. It's pretty impressive, well built, and gets good reception on AM/FM. The summit is the digital version of their venerable FreePlay. I've heard good things about their products on a lot of the ham radio sites I visit, so I'd think that the LED light version would be a good choice.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I've played with the FR200. It's reasonably sturdy. However, its light is incandescent, and it uses a 3x1/2AA soldered-in battery pack. And I think (not sure) that the incan light uses a nonstandard bulb. Basically I don't think you can rely on the internal battery pack staying useable through long periods in storage. Really, these things may be useful in some circumstances, but I worry that they create expectations that they can't live up to.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have one of the FR200's. It also will run on 3 AA's, and is indeed incandescent, comes with spare oddball bilead lamp. The lamp assembly with its reflector pops out the front easily along with abt 4" of leads. It is begging for a mod and there is plenty of room, all without having to disassemble the main radio case. The lamp voltage measured 3.0V with the series'd 3 AA's measuring 4.9V. (Panasonic camera AA's) So it looks like the lamp voltage is regulated! It is 6.5" wide, 6" tall, and 2" deep- not exactly pocketable. It ain't the overall quality of the Grundigs of the 1950's, but isn't junk either.

Larry

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will someone tell me what the heck happened to Grundig? I recall that just a couple years ago they were still making super$$ high-end portable radios. What's with all the plastic toys now? Did they just get bought out?

I had been planning selling my '60s Sattelit 6000 and buying their best new one (as of when I last checked a couple years ago), but I guess I'll stick with the ailing oldie.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I think Grundig still sells a couple good models here, the YB 400 and the Sattelit 800. For the money, though, I prefer some of the SW receivers from Sony and Sangean.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

The latest Radio Shack flyer (#639 BS) has a Grundig hand crank radio, with flashlight, on sale for $39.99 (#20-231). It also takes 3 "AA" batteries. One minute of cranking gives one hour of radio. Looks like the Grundig mentioned a few postings up.